FO: Patriots Obituary & the Smith Blunder by Poles

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Four times. Like a week culmulatively.

I'll be there in October it looks like (certainly again in March). Meet me by the mosque near the center of town and I'll buy you an orange juice from one of the little machines they have all over town. You can bring it back home and frame it next to your shrine of HeHateMe and Grimson lmao.
Please educate yourself...

He has a shrine of me, not HHM and Grimetime.

CC: @dabears70

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:

A little early on the Patriots Obituary and Smith's situation is only a blunder if the Bears get a minimal return, but still a very fair criticism of the Bears & Poles.

Roquan Smith requests trade from the Bears​

The problem with the Roquan Smith situation is that the new Bears braintrust should have anticipated a Roquan Smith situation. He's on his fifth-year option, as picked up by Other Ryan last year. He's a core young veteran starter. The Bears have $96 million in 2023 cap space and whistle-clean ledgers beyond that. So … they should have signed him to an extension in March.

Or, as Aaron Schatz speculated on Tuesday, Matt Eberflus doesn't think Smith fits his system or Ryan Poles just wants "his guys." If that's the case, the Bears should have traded Smith before the free agency period, just as they traded Khalil Mack.

Poles may not have wanted to pitch a pre-draft fire sale to either the fans or The Magnificent McCaskeys. So he chose what sounds like a like-it-or-lump-it lowball offer to play for a team headed for a five-win season. The Bears would be better off in 2022 with either an extra third-round pick (they could have TWO Velus Joneses right now!) and nine million on the books or a well-compensated Smith eager to set a tone in the locker room than they are with a disgruntled, holding-in Smith. All they had to do was something.

Smith will get dealt near the trade deadline to a contender for a fourth- or fifth-round pick in 2023. If the goal is to draw out the rebuild over multiple years—as it so often is—then Poles is right on schedule.
The Bears have been playing by the rules, Smith is the cause of these problems. Even if the Bears pay him, he will never be a team player...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This is why you dont let situations like this drag out, regardless of which direction they chose to go (keep or trade) Bears needed to approach this situation with more urgency than they did imo. The longer these drag out the higher chance there is for someone to do something stupid, and with Roquan not having an agent hes even more high risk than a normal "all pro on rookie contract looking for huge 2nd contract".
So essentially what you are saying is Poles should have bent over to Quan’s demands so it didn’t risk dragging out?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
So essentially what you are saying is Poles should have bent over to Quan’s demands so it didn’t risk dragging out?
Or moved him. Shit or get off the pot, show some urgency.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

A little early on the Patriots Obituary and Smith's situation is only a blunder if the Bears get a minimal return, but still a very fair criticism of the Bears & Poles.

The problem with the Roquan Smith situation is that the new Bears braintrust should have anticipated a Roquan Smith situation. He's on his fifth-year option, as picked up by Other Ryan last year. He's a core young veteran starter. The Bears have $96 million in 2023 cap space and whistle-clean ledgers beyond that. So … they should have signed him to an extension in March.

Or, as Aaron Schatz speculated on Tuesday, Matt Eberflus doesn't think Smith fits his system or Ryan Poles just wants "his guys." If that's the case, the Bears should have traded Smith before the free agency period, just as they traded Khalil Mack.

Poles may not have wanted to pitch a pre-draft fire sale to either the fans or The Magnificent McCaskeys. So he chose what sounds like a like-it-or-lump-it lowball offer to play for a team headed for a five-win season. The Bears would be better off in 2022 with either an extra third-round pick (they could have TWO Velus Joneses right now!) and nine million on the books or a well-compensated Smith eager to set a tone in the locker room than they are with a disgruntled, holding-in Smith. All they had to do was something.

Smith will get dealt near the trade deadline to a contender for a fourth- or fifth-round pick in 2023. If the goal is to draw out the rebuild over multiple years—as it so often is—then Poles is right on schedule.
Everything said in that article is wrong and honestly dumb. I would not recommend.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The Bears have been playing by the rules, Smith is the cause of these problems. Even if the Bears pay him, he will never be a team player...
His teammates seem to disagree with you. Roquan is the leader of the defense and respected by all the players. Can't say the same for Poles.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This article and many of the responses:

jump to conclusions mat.png

Roquan will fit this defense tremendously as they'll free him up to track the ball with his speed.

Poles reportedly offered "record-breaking" deal per his own words. It's also been said that the deal was brought to many other teams who thought it more than generous.

They both want it to work, but as said above, Roquan is over-valuing himself, and taking it personally when told otherwise. He's free to shop the league for his value, but doesn't have an agent, so he's SOL. Not sure he's even allowed to do that while under contract with the Bears?? Isn't that considered tampering on behalf of any other team he calls? Serious question, IDK ?‍♂️

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Two things...

You need good players, and IF Eberflus doesn't think Roquan fits his scheme...like, wtf? Are Eberflus' defenses like the 2000 Ravens? Get the eff outta here and find something that works. You might not get your prototypical players any time soon with the holes we have and the depth problems.

If Poles trades Roquan, he better pray Brisker and Gordon are quality draft picks. You cannot continue letting good players go before the replacements pan out. "Wait and see" isn't going to cut it.

Another poster said it a few months ago...it might have been @Rise but new Bears GMs seem to think they've got all kinds of time to get "their guys" in place, but they don't. If this team isn't sniffing the playoffs during the 2024 season you're already on the hot seat.
Pace owns him for at least 2 more years. I don't want it to happen but he can trade anyone he wants. It depends on what you get in return.

I don't understand the Pace getting rid of Roquan sentiment anyway. He's trying to sign him to a competitive long term extension. Why TF would he do that if Eberflus doesn't want him? Only guy talking about a trade is Quan.

Please remove the foil hat.

Last edited:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't heard what Roquan wants. Maybe that has changed and I missed it...but I've only seen speculation.

Right now, I'm leaning towards his claim that the Bears' offers are insulting. It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to snow a guy with no agent. Perhaps they tag him next year, idk.

...but Poles better not trade him this year - that's effing stupid.

It can be both. Reports are Smith wants to be among the highest paid LBs (if not the highest). The Bears, while not the cheap organization some believe, apparently are screwing up negotiations. Then again, Smith doesn’t have an agent so that is also a large part of the problem. It is also Poles and Everslus’ first year at their position so that may be part of it as well. The Bears are a complete clusterfuck right now.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Pace owns him for at least 2 more years. I don't want it to happen but he can trade anyone he wants. It depends on what you get in return.

I don't understand the Pace getting rid of Roquan sentiment anyway. He's trying to sign him to a competitive long term extension. Why TF would he do that if Eberflus doesn't want him? Only guy talking about a trade is Quan.

Please remove the foil hat.
Pace? You mean Poles??

And no one "owns" Roquan Smith. We did away with that in 1865.

And I said "IF" Poles trades him...so there's no tin foil hat. It is an option.

Tip: You do not have to try so hard to redeem yourself with every post I make. As I've explained before, when ppl start trying to get back at me instead of just talking football...their takes get worse and worse and they end up in shambles! (You are in shambles at this point...I guess you're try to go lower.)

*please do the board a favor and delete your error ridden post.

Bort

Liked Posts:

Absolutely idiotic take by football outsiders. There is a 0% chance Roquan gets traded for a 4th or 5th round pick when Poles can just force him to play this year under his current contract and then franchise tag him next year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace? You mean Poles??

And no one "owns" Roquan Smith. We did away with that in 1865.

And I said "IF" Poles trades him...so there's no tin foil hat. It is an option.

Tip: You do not have to try so hard to redeem yourself with every post I make. As I've explained before, when ppl start trying to get back at me instead of just talking football...their takes get worse and worse and they end up in shambles! (You are in shambles at this point...I guess you're try to go lower.)

*please do the board a favor and delete your error ridden post.
How about, nobody cares about your Schtick and fuck off. All knew what I meant and think your post equivalent to the grammar police. I don’t delete my posts.

Typical post of yours. Say some really stupid shit, get called on it and take it personnel while claiming superiority.

Nobody is stupid enough to believe that tripe except for maybe your delusional self.

I mean, it’s not even entertaining. Fucking cancer of ccs.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
How about, nobody cares about your Schtick and fuck off. All knew what I meant and think your post equivalent to the grammar police. I don’t delete my posts.

Typical post of yours. Say some really stupid shit, get called on it and take it personnel while claiming superiority.

Nobody is stupid enough to believe that tripe except for maybe your delusional self.

I mean, it’s not even entertaining. Fucking cancer of ccs.
Instead of simply admitting that "owning" Roquan Smith was a poor choice of words and ending it there.....he gets mad. Typical reprehensible CCS behavior. Stubborn and wrong a lot is a bad look. If you're going to be stubborn and egotistical...at least be right once in awhile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯