Football Outsiders: Bears Grade "F"

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They try to make this all scientific and use big words to make this seem like it's not completely opinionated but that's basically all that is.

North

Chicago Bears​

Improved Roster: D
Used Resources Well: F
Met Needs: F-
FINAL PPA: F

Doubling up on second-round defensive backs while surrounding Justin Fields with a USFL offense borders on spiteful malpractice. Ryan & Matt 2.0 essentially abandoned Fields on the convent steps with this draft, sinking Fields' cost of two first-round picks while keeping the Bears offense so weak that the next quarterback prospect will also probably be stuck with a fourth-rate support system.

Adding Velus Jones, an overaged afterthought who projects as a solid return man and WR4, when George Pickens and Skyy Moore were sitting on the board for the Bears to pluck in the second round is almost an insult-to-injury situation. And instead of taking a few more swings at receiver in later rounds, the Bears added punters and linemen from Southern and Southwest Utah State, because everything is going so hunky-dory that the Bears can afford to futz around with Day 3 projects.

This was one of the worst draft performances I have ever seen.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Not a single thing the reviewer said was wrong. You hamburgers are too much of homers to realize they did nothing to help Field and we still have the least talent in the NFL

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Looks like Pace died and came back as Ryan Poles

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sounds like a couple idiot ccs posters wrote this article…
Hmmm who's opinion to take more seriously

A senior analyst of football outsiders, one of the most reputable sources when it comes to reliable football content orrrrrrrrr
1651452959106.png
This moron who has been a Bears fan for about 15 minutes.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Went in with 6 picks, came out with 11. How is that not using resources well?

Also, their secondary and O-Line sucked, and what...7 picks went to those areas?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Went in with 6 picks, came out with 11. How is that not using resources well?

Also, their secondary and O-Line sucked, and what...7 picks went to those areas?
Because the goal is not to get more garbage picks but better players.

Dont brag about collecting 5-7th round picks that wont start or even be with the team

DUH

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
They try to make this all scientific and use big words to make this seem like it's not completely opinionated but that's basically all that is.

North

Chicago Bears​

Improved Roster: D
Used Resources Well: F
Met Needs: F-
FINAL PPA: F

Doubling up on second-round defensive backs while surrounding Justin Fields with a USFL offense borders on spiteful malpractice. Ryan & Matt 2.0 essentially abandoned Fields on the convent steps with this draft, sinking Fields' cost of two first-round picks while keeping the Bears offense so weak that the next quarterback prospect will also probably be stuck with a fourth-rate support system.

Adding Velus Jones, an overaged afterthought who projects as a solid return man and WR4, when George Pickens and Skyy Moore were sitting on the board for the Bears to pluck in the second round is almost an insult-to-injury situation. And instead of taking a few more swings at receiver in later rounds, the Bears added punters and linemen from Southern and Southwest Utah State, because everything is going so hunky-dory that the Bears can afford to futz around with Day 3 projects.

This was one of the worst draft performances I have ever seen.

The idea that George Pickens or Skyy Moore should have been taken over the much better prospects the Bears took is ridiculous. If Justin Fields success is dependent on a middling 2nd round talent like Pickens then he isn't the answer. Gordon and Brisker are legitimate potential plus starters, and the Bears secondary was desperately in need of a talent infusion.

Jones has the ability to be a 3rd receiver and at the very least a guy who can be used in different ways. That's fine for a 3rd round pick.

5th round picks or later? They're all massive rolls of the dice with a tiny chance to be impact players. Criticizing late round picks is stupid, the odds of finding great players who make a significant impact on your team are very small, so criticising the Bears for "futzing" around with small school prospects doesn't even make sense. I guess they should have taken one of the many blue chip prospects who were on the board in the 7th round?

Whoever wrote this doesn't know what they're talking about, and doesn't even follow their own methodology.

Canth

Liked Posts:
That entire review being an F was basically was that the Bears get an F because they selected a safety with the second 2nd round pick instead of a WR. It basically completely ignores all of the actual picks made and barely even attempts to evaluate any player actually picked if you can call a couple of snide comments an evaluation. That is a supposed analyst losing his mind over a difference of opinion on a 2nd round pick.

Not even the normally cynical Chicago beat writers were losing their shit that much. Some of them pointed out that the Bears haven't done enough yet for Fields (valid criticism) without completely ignoring the value and competition brought in by the draft in the wider discussion of the overall team.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
And instead of taking a few more swings at receiver in later rounds, the Bears added punters and linemen from Southern and Southwest Utah State, because everything is going so hunky-dory that the Bears can afford to futz around with Day 3 projects.
This was my favorite part of the explanation.

- The idea that a player from non P5 school can't be a good player... while ignoring that the above "acclaimed" Skyy Moore came from the mighty MAC conference.

- Adding a punter with their 12TH pick with a mere 7 picks left in the entire draft was some catastrophe with loads of talented WR that were GOBBLED up in those last 7 picks that the Bears could have had.

- Calling day 3 picks "projects" as if that is some revelation that no one knows day 3 picks typically are not starters.

- Assuming that the Bears (who had an NFL leading 60 sacks given up in 2021) are somehow set at offensive line depth that they should not pick linemen in the 3rd day of the draft.

- Ignoring that the Bears had to use later round picks because of prior regime poor draft management that they didn't have more day 1 and 2 picks to use.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
LMAO @Anytime23 with another HoF worthy #rekting

Also, the vast majority of people I haven't seen eviscerate the Bears for the Jones picks are Bears fans. Others with a more objective view see it as a head scratcher. Though, I think this dude's overall grade is a bit harsh. If day 3 picks weren't projects, they wouldn't be day 3 picks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Even the “best” looking drafts turn out to be dog shit…time will tell

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
An F is harsh. C or C- is more fair. It's hard to ever grade a draft less than a C as long as you're taking players projected around that general area, then you know, you're getting good, young talent.

I do always love though when the world of sports media dogs the Bears and bears fans think there is some bias against them for some unknown reason. Then the Bears suck anyway and Bears fans still won't admit to any of it.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I like FO for their statistics., this article is pretty cringy. The only valid knock on their draft is #71. At worst C+.
That's how I feel. I think Poles had a really good Day 3 in getting a ton of picks to see if he can find a couple of contributors. And they kind of needed a punter, so it's not like they burned their 11th and final pick. Taking a safety with his second pick is questionable, but it's not like he took a shitty player.