Ford: Portland targeting Kirk/workout info

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
There's no question Pritchard also is trying to figure out a way to get maximum cap room this summer to use for a free agent or in a trade. The Magic's Hedo Turkoglu gets the most mention, but sources say Portland's real target is Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich.

If the Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon to a big contract this summer, they are going to have to part ways with Hinrich to be able to afford it. The Bulls are dangerously close to the luxury tax as it is, and gving Gordon a big deal would put them over the top. Enter the Blazers, who will have the cap space to absorb Hinrich's deal and put the Bulls back under the tax threshold.

Hinrich would give the Blazers a seasoned point guard, but one without the sizzle or upside of Rubio.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Blair, poss. BJ/Johnson/Clark to workout again

And the Bulls are trying to schedule one last showdown between DeJuan Blair, Johnson and B.J. Mullens for Tuesday. As of Sunday night, only Blair had committed to the workout. The Bulls wanted Hansbrough at that one as well, but he had already committed to the Nets. Clark might replace him.

• By the way, Blair seems to be back in favor with more GMs. Over the weekend his agent, Happy Walters, had a couple of teams talk to Blair's physician, James Bradley, who did Blair's ACL surgeries in high school.

I'm not privy to the conversations, but I do think this latest development has put him back in the mix with the Pacers at No. 13 and the Bulls at 16.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Re:Blair, poss. BJ/Johnson/Clark to workout again

It looks like it's between these guys

Fred

Liked Posts:
Re:Ford: Portland targeting Kirk

Prichard went to Kansas. If you've ever run into anyone from a Big 12 school, you'll quickly understand how much they overrate their players, team, and conference. I had a KU alum once tell me that "Nick Collison will be better than Bill Walton." That's just the tip of the iceberg. I remember a Texas alum telling me that Vince Young at Texas was already a better QB than Brady or Manning. And he was dead serious, and he wasn't wearing a straight jacket.

We need to take advantage of this. From what I've read, Prichard is almost a running joke around the league when it comes to overrating his talent. In this case, the Kansas bias can even things out.

I like Travis Outlaw on that team. I know the numbers currently don't work out, but how about some sort of deal with the primary players being about Deng and Hinrich for Outlaw, Steve Blake, and a future #1. I WOULD ONLY DO this deal if Gordon's signing would be guaranteed because of it, and I know Blake's non-guaranteed contract is essential to make that happen.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Fred wrote:
Prichard went to Kansas. If you've ever run into anyone from a Big 12 school, you'll quickly understand how much they overrate their players, team, and conference. I had a KU alum once tell me that "Nick Collison will be better than Bill Walton." That's just the tip of the iceberg. I remember a Texas alum telling me that Vince Young at Texas was already a better QB than Brady or Manning. And he was dead serious, and he wasn't wearing a straight jacket.

We need to take advantage of this. From what I've read, Prichard is almost a running joke around the league when it comes to overrating his talent. In this case, the Kansas bias can even things out.

I like Travis Outlaw on that team. I know the numbers currently don't work out, but how about some sort of deal with the primary players being about Deng and Hinrich for Outlaw, Steve Blake, and a future #1. I WOULD ONLY DO this deal if Gordon's signing would be guaranteed because of it, and I know Blake's non-guaranteed contract is essential to make that happen.
I have no idea how the Bulls would be able to con Portland into taking both Hinrich and Deng. But that deal would give them (Bulls) plenty of cap room to sign BG. If this results in keeping Outlaw, I would probably do this if BG is to resign for sure as a result. Why keep Outlaw? He's been pretty clutch over in Portland and he's got a 3pt shot better than Deng can ever dream of. But that's just my opinion.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

I have really warmed up to James Johnson as of late.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

A lot of people are like that about their schools, not just Big 12 alumni. Hinrich is a decent combo guard, they know what they are getting, a combo guard who can guard his position and has a knack for guarding taller players.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Blazers take Deng.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Wouldnt a deal for Deng have to be after the draft (BYC issues)?

I think Kirk would do pretty good with Portland....they could be a scary team next year.

*They would be even scarier with Durant instead of Oden.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

DeMarre Carroll. How about DeMarre Carroll. Keep that 26 pick and take DeMarre Carroll. He's a good Big 12 guy.

Also, on a relatively large Portland board, they're discussing going after Ben Gordon, and they especially like the idea of doing Outlaw, Blake, Webster I think (whoever their other sizeable expiring is), and Bayless for Gordon and Deng.

Also, another thing that should be pointed out is that the Bulls do not need to trade Kirk Hinrich in order to afford Gordon's contract.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

??? ?????? wrote:
Also, another thing that should be pointed out is that the Bulls do not need to trade Kirk Hinrich in order to afford Gordon's contract.
Do explain good sir. Unless your response is trade Deng, in which case save your time because that is obvious.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

clonetrooper264 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Do explain good sir. Unless your response is trade Deng, in which case save your time because that is obvious.

The Bulls had a 55.4 million operating income last year. So they have a lot of ways to go before they can't afford things. The Bulls can afford Gordon, while keeping Hinrich.

Woodz

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

The Bulls had a 55.4 million operating income last year. So they have a lot of ways to go before they can't afford things. The Bulls can afford Gordon, while keeping Hinrich.

Where do you get access to this kind of info?

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:
Forbes reports it every year. The Bulls have the highest profits in the league over the last decade, and I don't believe any team is even close to them. I think the Bulls over that 10 year period probably cleared 100 million plus more than the next closest team.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Chicago-Bulls_321267.html

Thats amazing. Considering the product we put out from 99 till 03. Thats loyalty from the fans.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:

like us :D

why can't the bulls have more fan events...

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Reinsdorf owes me something for being loyal.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:

exactly.

i think anyone who bought a jalen rose jersey should get free first row seats ;)

or anyone who bought a jersey during the '08 season before rose came (cough, me, cough) :)

SBB1316

Liked Posts:
Reinsdorf will not pay the luxury tax unless he has a shot at a title. I doubt that both of them will be on the team next year. I would welcome trading Hinrich to keep Gordon. There are solid combo guards in the draft. If they trade Hinrich and go with Toney Douglas at 26, he should be a suitable replacement. Gordon is much more important to the Bulls success than Hinrich.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Lets say we do this deal Outlaw and Blake for Kirk,and move both picks to NJ for the 11th...Who would we take than ? No need for a Johnson,Blair or Psycho with Outlaw aboard hed get backup pf an sf minutes.. Maybe than Henderson becomes the choice .

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
SouL EateR wrote:
Lets say we do this deal Outlaw and Blake for Kirk,and move both picks to NJ for the 11th...Who would we take than ? No need for a Johnson,Blair or Psycho with Outlaw aboard hed get backup pf an sf minutes.. Maybe than Henderson becomes the choice .

Outlaw is 95 pds, he wouldnt see any minutes at pf.