• Total voters

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Alshon.

Age, future, position, etc.

But if you trade Cutler you could probably keep both. (That was a joke BTW, so don't everybody freak out.)

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Probably forte, Cutler would hinder alshon from being great anyways.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's the direction I would lean towards but I really do like Forte. He is a good guy to have on the field and in the locker room.

Bears were 6-10 with a lot of holes. Forte is a 30 year old RB. Alshon is a 25 year old WR just hitting the prime of his career. Much better future investment to sign Alshon over Forte, and I'm a huge Forte fan.

Have to agree with everyone here, there is no decision in my mind. The answer is obvious.

Grape

Liked Posts:
Forte's position is replaceable, Alshon's not so much.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Hmm. 30 year old RB with a lot of wear and tear at a position where the team just drafted a pair of 4th rounders who played decently this year

Vs

A 26 year old WR who averaged over 100 yards per game at a position where the team drafted a 1st rounder who missed the entire season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Dead serious. If Alshon was 100% healthy and produced all year long I would say it's a much easier question to answer. I also feel like Alshon is much more likely to be retained by the Bears.

With that said, I'm curious what others thing and what their reasoning behind their choices would be.

You do not choose to retain the services of a 30-year old, high mileage RB on a team that needs young talent (and has capable young replacements for said RB) over a 25-year old Pro-Bowl caliber WR. Unless you want to get fired, of course.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Forte will be missed, but the production between several young backs and him would be similar.

Jeffery is an elite WR hitting his prime, irreplaceable.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of the reasons I'm asking is because the team seems to place a high value on the character of the player. If I was in charge I would actually bring both back if possible. Forte needs to be willing to give a small home town discount and Alshon would probably get a tag because I think he is wanting top 5 money right now. I would prefer seeing him play an entire season as healthy as possible for a 16 game NFL season.

But we have seen him do that. Twice. 2500 yards and 17 TDs.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Assuming everyone is healthy and expected to remain so, I don't see how you could take a player who might have three good years at the most left over a player who can potentially play for the next decade.

But the reality is that you can't assume health with either guy. One because of his age at his position and the other because he doesn't seem to have the heart to play through minor injuries, or the desire to play in Chicago.

I'd be tempted to take three quality Forte years over the crap shoot of Alshon's durability/availability. But the prospect of another 8-9 years with a healthy Alshon is hard to give up.

I would go Alshon. If it was a 26 year old Forte I would take him hands down, but the age difference at their positions is too wide to overcome.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
One would think so but of the fans I talk to outside of these forums. I'm surprised at how many don't value Alshon like they do Forte. Apparently those people are few and far between here.
Feel free to tell those fans that Teddy KGB said they were morons.

And when they say "Who?", Just say, "Exactly"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
17. Easy. He just better stay on the field in the future.

I'd like to see Forte back at the right price. Problem is, what's the right price? Would he play for 2-3 mil a year? And even if he would, Willie Young costs 3 mil. Wouldn't you be better off with another Young?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Feel free to tell those fans that Teddy KGB said they were morons.

And when they say "Who?", Just say, "Exactly"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yeah, don't think anyone is mentioning you anywhere, ever...

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Assuming everyone is healthy and expected to remain so, I don't see how you could take a player who might have three good years at the most left over a player who can potentially play for the next decade.

But the reality is that you can't assume health with either guy. One because of his age at his position and the other because he doesn't seem to have the heart to play through minor injuries, or the desire to play in Chicago.

I'd be tempted to take three quality Forte years over the crap shoot of Alshon's durability/availability. But the prospect of another 8-9 years with a healthy Alshon is hard to give up.

I would go Alshon. If it was a 26 year old Forte I would take him hands down, but the age difference at their positions is too wide to overcome.

I'm more concerned about where Alshon's head is at than any injury issue.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
One of the reasons I'm asking is because the team seems to place a high value on the character of the player.

When has Alshon ever demonstrated poor character?

If I was in charge I would actually bring both back if possible.

But that's not the choice you posed to us.

I would prefer seeing him play an entire season as healthy as possible for a 16 game NFL season.

2013Chicago Bears16891,42116.088.880T7207623
2014Chicago Bears16851,13313.370.87410173600

It's almost as if Alshon Jeffery did exactly what you wanted twice. Amazing!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But we have seen him do that. Twice. 2500 yards and 17 TDs.

I think what the team will miss production wise from Forte by his replacements is far less than the gap Alshons replacement would provide.

In the same two years Xuder is referring to, Forte gave us 3,779 yards and 22 TDs. So I'm not sure about the production. The age is the main thing.