Frankie Montas to the Sox trade rumors

Toast88

Liked Posts:

A lot of angst over this in the last 12 hours, especially as it relates to the rumor that the A's want Andrew Vaughn in return.

I'm here to calm my fellow Sox fans down. Friends, the A's can want Vaughn all they want. It takes two to happen, and it ain't gonna happen.

We know Rick Hahn isn't perfect (Kimbrel trade), but I think we also know he's not an idiot. If the Sox wouldn't give up Vaughn for Sean Manaea, why would they do so for Frankie Montas?

The Sox have at least another 4 years of control over Vaughn *after* this year. Why would they give that up for what is essentially a rental mid-rotation starter who hasn't really put it together?

Montas has stuff, yes. And he did have a good 2021 campaign. But what he doesn't have is long-term results. At least for now, you can't just count on him as a top-of-the-rotation guy. He's got one year of arbitration after this year. That doesn't strike me as the kind of guy you give up a potential superstar (or at least potential high-end starter) for.

So, fellow Sox fans, I just don't see it happening, unless there's some weird behind-the-scenes thing we don't know about. All a Montas trade gets you is the ability to more easily weather the pitching injuries over the next couple of months. Is that worth giving up Vaughn? Not in the slightest. I don't see it happening.
montas graphic.jpg

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
They shouldn't trade Vaughn, IMO.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Rick Hahn shooting down the rumors firsthand.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After what Manaea got in return, no way a team gives up a prospect of Vaughn's caliber for Montas.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Good. Hopefully after eleven years since they last drew 2 million, they finally know that offense and home runs and young hitting stars will get fans to GRF. After the catastrophic trade of 2016, they should not even think about this type of trade (except only as a last resort, then decline).