Free Agency news - 2020

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is really no way for us to determine if a player is overpaid or not as we don't know if anyone else was interested and what was offered. I much prefer to look at actual results a year or two later. (plenty of legit criticism for Pace doing it that way) Saying a guy is overpaid now though is simply impossible to do.

Not really. Even if someone else bid the exact same amount for Graham he is overpaid relative to his age and production.

Now of course if it turns out he plays better than the past few years would suggest in his age 34 and 35 seasons then I will revise my opinion but as it stands now I see no way to conclude he was worth 16 million.

Of course you can chose to wait before making a decision. I prefer to just call it like I see it now and revise my opinion if new data proves me wrong.

Really think injury history is the key here. Graham has played 16 games for 4 seasons in a row. Ebron had issues all last year. No way can Pace survive if he signs another injured TE.

That is possible but still dont think that is worth 16 million at his age and production.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Do you think it will be worth 4 million more over 2 years as issue is Age and the fact they paid him more. Graham should never have been a day one target.

Was Hooper worth $15 mil to you even though he took $10.5 from Clev?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah, I am not a Gordon fan. Better RBs can be had in the later rds.

Not a huge fan either but would certainly blow 16 million on him before JG.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Finley did aight....but it was also the first couple years of rodgers. Usually young QB's rely on their tight ends because they don't look down the field as much.

Rodgers has shown he doesn't utilize his TE's as much as some other QB's. Then again who knows, maybe Graham is done.

That's the thing....just the fact that he gave millions to a guy that maybe done is astounding.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And also the fact Jimmy Graham isn't hurt RN and Eric ebron is. We can't give players health screenings RN. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable with ebron. They don't know how the ankle surgeries are holding up.

No way they could risk losing out on every viable TE due to medicals.

It was always how much he dropped the ball for me. I remember his time in Detroit watching him and he dropped a ton of balls. He's only had one good season in his career. One

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Glad he didn't get Hooper and pay the $15 mil per that you were on here saying was a good deal for him. Clev got him for $10.5 mil per.

Now tell everyone about how you never said that.

This is illogical. It is clear the market didnt value Hooper at 15million so there would be no reason for Pace to need to pay that amount to get him.

There were media reports he would get 15 million just as there were alleged reports Kwia would get 10 million. The reality is both could have been had for less.

The point Windy and I were saying is we would rather pay market value for Hooper than on a mediocre TE. So that market value as it turns out was much less than 15 million a year.

So I stand by the fact I would have signed Hooper over Graham and paid the extra 3 or 4 million. Sorry if that offends you.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not a huge fan either but would certainly blow 16 million on him before JG.
Would you still spend $15 mil per on Hooper like you wanted us to do?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is illogical. It is clear the market didnt value Hooper at 15million so there would be no reason for Pace to need to pay that amount to get him.

There were media reports he wouls get 15 million just as there were alleged reports Kwia would get 10 million. The reality is both could have been had for less.

The point Windy and I were saying is we would rather pay market value for Hooper than on a mediocre TE. So that market value as it turns out was much less than 15 million a year.

So I stand by the fact I would have signed Hooper over Graham and paid the extra 3 or 4 million. Sorry if that offends you.

No we actually talked about $15 mil being way too much for him and you guys were saying you'd pay him that much and he's worth that much. If you wanted to believe a tweet from the media during the biggest lying season in the sports world then that's another dumb decision by you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would you still spend $15 mil per on Hooper like you wanted us to do?

See above. You cant read or comprehend. I would pay what the market dictates which is not 15 million.

If you can find the post you are referring to let me know. All I recall is that there was speculation about 15 million but even the above thread Windy said 10-12 million not 15. Not sure anyone believed the 15 milliom was a sure thing but simply said they wanted to pay what market dictated which I think most thought would less.

If you talking about another thread then let me know as this is the only one I could find.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
So Broncos getting Melvin Gordon for 2 years 16 million, 13.5 milliom guaranteed.

Same total money as Graham. SMH.

This is why you dont overpay for mediocre talent on day 1m. You go after guys like Quinn on day 1. Otherwise keep your money and see whose values drop.

I would take a Monty/Gordon combo at RB over Graham/Burton any day.
Gordon is overrated needs holes the size of ur mom to run through (trust me that's gaping).

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Gordon is overrated needs holes the size of ur mom to run through (trust me that's gaping).
giphy.gif

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It isn't.

Outside of TD's they were basically the same guy the last 2 years.

A flex tight end who can't block worth a damn.

I'd still take Ebron for 12m over Jimmy for 16m

Except for the fact that Ebron has missed a lot more time due to injury throughout his career. But hey, what does availability matter??????

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
What's funny to me is, all the people freaking out we should have signed Ebron over Graham, if Ebron gets injured like he usually does if we sign him and say Burton misses time, this board would be over the top freaking fucking out.

msadows

Liked Posts:
What's funny to me is, all the people freaking out we should have signed Ebron over Graham, if Ebron gets injured like he usually does if we sign him and say Burton misses time, this board would be over the top freaking fucking out.

Well yea, I mentioned previously I think a big reason we didn't even consider ebron is because we need a healthy option.

Due to corona you can't even check if his off season ankle surgeries are healing fine. By the time you can the FA market of TE's will be drained. The Graham move was desperation but it was due to the fact the TE market was dry and we needed an answer for it in FA.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Ebron signing with the Steelers there should be one key piece we should keep in mind. You can debate contract, age and ability of the Ebron vs. Graham discussion, but it's undeniable that the Bears valued Graham higher.

So whatever your feelings are feel free to let them be known, but at the end of the day the decision makers knew both people were free agents and they liked one over the other.
The same people liked Glennon and drafted Mitch

One Team

Liked Posts:
I believe the reports of Grahams death are greatly exaggerated.

For qualifying players, Graham's average yards of separation of 3.9 yards lead every TE in the league last season. Yes, including Hooper, OJ Howard, Hunter Henry, Darren Fells, Travis Kelce, and George Kittle.

Yes it is just one stat. But if you talk about getting open, its hard to argue that he can't do it anymore.

I guess next question could be... how did Foles do with tight ends.