**OFFICAIL** Bears Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What the Packers and Jets COULD do is formally agree to a trade with the contingency that Rodgers does not retire and that if he does the contract is void.

The problem for the Packers is that if Rodgers retires and then unretires after June 1st, the Packers would immediately have to clear 60 million in cap space. As long as they release him that day, they would not have to make drastic cuts. Ofcourse they get nothing for him but you would also get nothing for him if he retires.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
As I said - sometimes it takes a couple years to get that anchor solid. And for guys like Mustipher, they never are able to solidify it.

The Bears have the luxury of taking out some insurance this year just in case he isn't ready yet.
lol have you played football before? there is no standard to how long it takes to build an anchor...if jones is dedicated to building up that lower half, his ability to stop bull rushes will be much improved, will it be perfect? no but it doesnt have to be, he just needs to be improved enough where it isnt a liability. why is mustipher in this conversation? are you really trying to compare jones to mustipher?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing is, Offensive line is a position where a young player who was drafted lower can actually improve from the bench, because so much of it is strength and weight training. If Braxton for some reason rides the pine this year, no one should think that means the Bears are giving up on him. He needs more work, but there's a lot there to work with.
Yeah, IDK. Which is more important, experience in-game or weight/bench? I'd love to think that he can get strength/weight in the off-season, bulk up, and then work on his bull rush defense, in practice, and games. He wasn't BAD at LT. What I always think about with LT is that they are protecting the QB's blindside, so that needs to be an elite player. Can he play RT? IDK how that works LT vs. RT but if we had an ELITE LT and he moved to RT and can do well there, that might be even better. RT is in FRONT of Fields, in his line of sight. Like I said, IDK, I'm not a coach. I'll trust that Warren/Poles/Flus know what they're doing. But I think Jones/Jenkins stick.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
lol have you played football before? there is no standard to how long it takes to build an anchor...if jones is dedicated to building up that lower half, his ability to stop bull rushes will be much improved, will it be perfect? no but it doesnt have to be, he just needs to be improved enough where it isnt a liability. why is mustipher in this conversation? are you really trying to compare jones to mustipher?

I've watched enough NFL football (thrity years or so) to know that it isn't uncommon for lower round picks to need a couple years to get that anchor solid. I've seen it where the team played the player throughout that time, seen it where they benched him for a couple years, etc.

In the cases where a player has a weak anchor but potential, it takes the full 2 years to get there, because it isn't just eating more and hitting the gym - there's a science to it and they effectively remake the bodies of these guys, and it takes the full 2 in most cases because the transformation is that radical.

In the cases where the player is left out there during this time, the first year after a full NFL offseason tends to be an improvement but also inconsistent. Its very up and down. Bitch about it all you want, but you are only shooting the messenger.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I just don't get the "we need someone to compete with Braxton Jones" narrative, yet somehow Whitehair and his bloated contract and Teven Jenkins and his injury history go largely unquestioned. Brax played a whole lot better than anyone could have ever hoped for going into the season, playing every fucking snap and being good at just about everything except for handling the bullrush. He's got a full offseason to work on that one thing to be a largely complete and good player yet so many people are like "the O line sucks so we need to replace everyone!"
I think people saying the Bars need someone to compete with Braxton Jones are seeing that he allowed the most pressure of any LT in the league, while Bears fans look at "he rated as the top rookie T".

I think the Bears like his potential, but how we got to viewing him as untouchable and other LTs as "really only RTs" is perplexing.

I am not down on him, but unlike others, I am not viewing him as a guy who can't lose his job. In a perfect world we get a LT and move him to RT at the very least, but is that LT out there? Taylor in Jax has the pass protection but not good run blocking. Is he a fit at LT?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, IDK. Which is more important, experience in-game or weight/bench? I'd love to think that he can get strength/weight in the off-season, bulk up, and then work on his bull rush defense, in practice, and games. He wasn't BAD at LT. What I always think about with LT is that they are protecting the QB's blindside, so that needs to be an elite player. Can he play RT? IDK how that works LT vs. RT but if we had an ELITE LT and he moved to RT and can do well there, that might be even better. RT is in FRONT of Fields, in his line of sight. Like I said, IDK, I'm not a coach. I'll trust that Warren/Poles/Flus know what they're doing. But I think Jones/Jenkins stick.

Ultimately, I do think Jenkins and Jones both have a future on the team. I just don't think Jones is there YET.

He got a LOT of help on the left side last year. It takes time with those NFL training programs for an offensive lineman to completely remake themselves.

Most of the time you don't see it because a guy like Jones would have been doing this behind a veteran for 2 years, and after 2 full NFL offseasons, he would be in a position to beat out the vet in front of him.

But the Bears cupboard was so bare, he got to play instead. I still would like a decent vet covering Fields' blind side until Jones is fully ready.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Jets signing Jimmy G and telling AAron to fuck off would be funny on so many levels.

Jets would end up not contending, AAron gets rebuked, and ultimately we get Rodgers and McDaniels in Las Vegas where they won't co-exist well.

I laughed when I saw one writer tweet that you could absolutely expect Aaron to tweet something right about the time of FA opning because he needs the attention. And the guys on NFL Network are bored with him, referring to his tweet that something was coming "soon". They pointed out that he used the word "soon" in January.

His is indeed, an asshat.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think people saying the Bars need someone to compete with Braxton Jones are seeing that he allowed the most pressure of any LT in the league, while Bears fans look at "he rated as the top rookie T".

I think the Bears like his potential, but how we got to viewing him as untouchable and other LTs as "really only RTs" is perplexing.

I am not down on him, but unlike others, I am not viewing him as a guy who can't lose his job. In a perfect world we get a LT and move him to RT at the very least, but is that LT out there? Taylor in Jax has the pass protection but not good run blocking. Is he a fit at LT?

EXACTLY.

Some fans got too into all the press clippings. Jones is a really good prospect, but he isn't there yet, and to act like he should be given no serious competition for his spot, which is the most important spot next to QB on a team as it protects your QB's blindside, is asinine to me.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've watched enough NFL football (thrity years or so) to know that it isn't uncommon for lower round picks to need a couple years to get that anchor solid. I've seen it where the team played the player throughout that time, seen it where they benched him for a couple years, etc.

In the cases where a player has a weak anchor but potential, it takes the full 2 years to get there, because it isn't just eating more and hitting the gym - there's a science to it and they effectively remake the bodies of these guys, and it takes the full 2 in most cases because the transformation is that radical.

In the cases where the player is left out there during this time, the first year after a full NFL offseason tends to be an improvement but also inconsistent. Its very up and down. Bitch about it all you want, but you are only shooting the messenger.
If you're going to cite your watching of football can you name 2-3 players who you've watched develop their "anchors" that would support this wildly subjective claim please? Also it would help to describe the "science" beyond eating and lifting that contributes to a stronger d0nk?

I'll hang up and listen.