Free Agent signings

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
For a team with not much cap space we signed quite a few FAs. I realize that a number of these players will not be on the 53, but I was surprised of the number of FAs we picked up, and this does not include the UDFA or Drafted players.
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Graham
Trevor Davis
John Jenkins
Tashaun Gipson
Jason Spriggs
Barkevious Mingo
Robert Quinn
Germain Ifedi
Nick Foles
Xavier Crawford
Tre Roberson
Jordan Lucas
Demetrius Harris
Kentrell Brice

Other than Quinn, Foles, Graham I don't think we can pencil any of these players into the 53, but it would not surprise me if several of these players made the roster and contributed in either a rotation/depth/Special teams capacity.

None of the players we picked up would be considered a "big splash" but I see a few that have the potential to be a great value.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Ted Ginn will be the speed WR Jimmy Graham will start, John Jenkins only because we are light on DT Tashaun Gipson will start Jason Spriggs is our backup OT Barkevious Mingo backs up Mack and Quinn plus might be able to sub as an IL Robert Quinn will start Germain Ifedi will start RG Nick Foles No brainer starts Tre Roberson backup CB Demetrius Harris In line TE Anyone disagree as I'm curious? If nothing else we added a lot of depth. We still need a RB Leonard Fournette ?

greg23

Liked Posts:
For a team with not much cap space we signed quite a few FAs. I realize that a number of these players will not be on the 53, but I was surprised of the number of FAs we picked up, and this does not include the UDFA or Drafted players.
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Graham
Trevor Davis
John Jenkins
Tashaun Gipson
Jason Spriggs
Barkevious Mingo
Robert Quinn
Germain Ifedi
Nick Foles
Xavier Crawford
Tre Roberson
Jordan Lucas
Demetrius Harris
Kentrell Brice

Other than Quinn, Foles, Graham I don't think we can pencil any of these players into the 53, but it would not surprise me if several of these players made the roster and contributed in either a rotation/depth/Special teams capacity.

None of the players we picked up would be considered a "big splash" but I see a few that have the potential to be a great value.

If you can only pencil in 3 of these guys to make our team we must sure have a hell of a roster.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A few washed up players, and a bunch who the fucks! But yeah, they signed quite a few.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Gipson is a lock if healthy. I think Ifedi and Mingo are almost locks, Ginn, Lucas, Harris all with a very strong chance.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Spriggs looks like he was as Inactive with the packers as KW was with the BEARs, who, btw ... is available on the 'cheap'

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Graham
Trevor Davis
John Jenkins
Tashaun Gipson
Jason Spriggs
Barkevious Mingo
Robert Quinn
Germain Ifedi
Nick Foles
Xavier Crawford
Tre Roberson
Jordan Lucas
Demetrius Harris
Kentrell Brice

Harris will also probably get a decent amount of PT as the #3 TE/Blocking option.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Graham
Trevor Davis
John Jenkins
Tashaun Gipson
Jason Spriggs
Barkevious Mingo
Robert Quinn
Germain Ifedi
Nick Foles
Xavier Crawford
Tre Roberson
Jordan Lucas
Demetrius Harris
Kentrell Brice

Quinn, Foles, Graham, Ifedi, Gipson, Spriggs, Harris, and Ginn all have a good shot. Robenson also did before the draft but that's changed a bit. Still, guys here that may still come on so who knows? Don't know what Ginn still has in the tank. Speed WRs often become less effective at 35. He's far from special without the wheels.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Ted Ginn will be the speed WR Jimmy Graham will start, John Jenkins only because we are light on DT Tashaun Gipson will start Jason Spriggs is our backup OT Barkevious Mingo backs up Mack and Quinn plus might be able to sub as an IL Robert Quinn will start Germain Ifedi will start RG Nick Foles No brainer starts Tre Roberson backup CB Demetrius Harris In line TE Anyone disagree as I'm curious? If nothing else we added a lot of depth. We still need a RB Leonard Fournette ?
Mingo gets cut

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If you can only pencil in 3 of these guys to make our team we must sure have a hell of a roster.
I'm not implying ALL the rest get cut, but that the others are going to have to do more than show up to make the roster.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I wanted Fournette coming out of the draft, but he has not done much in the NFL considering all the hype, still would be nice if he is on a cheap deal.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I must have missed the news the day that John Jenkins signed, because I was surprised to see him on the list. Eddie is our only listed NT, but I would imagine Jenkins could play that role to give Eddie a breather?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I must have missed the news the day that John Jenkins signed, because I was surprised to see him on the list. Eddie is our only listed NT, but I would imagine Jenkins could play that role to give Eddie a breather?
On passing plays, I seem to recall RRH being put in for Goldman. But yea good to have solid beef up front as back up.

jive

Liked Posts:
* indicates compensatory free agents

Will make the roster:
Jimmy Graham - Makes the roster for at least the 2nd TE role
*John Jenkins - Fills the Nick Williams role
Tashaun Gipson - Starts opposite EJax
*Barkevious Mingo - Backup OLB and special teams
*Robert Quinn - Starter opposite Mack

Likely to make roster, unless another free agent is added:
*Jason Spriggs - Backup tackle unless one of the 7th rounders winds up being a steal
*Germain Ifedi - Competition for the RG spot with Bars and Coward, and haven't seen much from those 2.
Demetrius Harris - Blocking TE unless one of the other mediocre TEs takes it up a notch.

On the bubble:
*Ted Ginn - Seen his best days behind him. We'll see how fast he still is.
*Trevor Davis - Never did anything as a WR, probably more of special teams guy. If Mooney shows any promise, he's gone.
Tre Roberson - Backup CB, or special teams.
*Jordan Lucas - Competing for a backup safety spot
Kentrell Brice - Competing for a backup safety spot
*Artie Burns - Competing for CB spot with lots of competition.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Graham
Trevor Davis
John Jenkins
Tashaun Gipson
Jason Spriggs
Barkevious Mingo
Robert Quinn
Germain Ifedi
Nick Foles
Xavier Crawford
Tre Roberson
Jordan Lucas
Demetrius Harris
Kentrell Brice

I tried telling some people who thought we were done in free agency multiple times that there's always ways to come up with cap space to sign free agents with. It seems like i do that every offseason. I'm hoping we still aren't done cause IMO we still need a 3rd ILB, a backup RB and another edge rusher and OL is always a need.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If B.Mingo is our 3rd OLB then we're in trouble and will be in huge trouble if Quinn or Mack go down. I don't have any trust in I.Irving anymore and think J.Vaughters is better than him and he isn't shit either. Hoping T.Gipson wins the 3rd OLB spot but gonna be tough to count on a 5th round rookie being our 3rd OLB.

This is why i'm all in on signing Clay Mathews if we had that chance.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If B.Mingo is our 3rd OLB then we're in trouble and will be in huge trouble if Quinn or Mack go down. I don't have any trust in I.Irving anymore and think J.Vaughters is better than him and he isn't shit either. Hoping T.Gipson wins the 3rd OLB spot but gonna be tough to count on a 5th round rookie being our 3rd OLB.

This is why i'm all in on signing Clay Mathews if we had that chance.
Mathews had 8 sacks last year with the Rams and Floyd had 3 with the Bears.... He would be an upgrade over Floyd and if they use him sparingly as a situational player it could be ideal.
Plus, I think we need that vocal type player once in a while. I hated it when he was playing against us....

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Everson is better than both Matthew's could drop back into coverage though so he has that...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Mathews had 8 sacks last year with the Rams and Floyd had 3 with the Bears.... He would be an upgrade over Floyd and if they use him sparingly as a situational player it could be ideal.
Plus, I think we need that vocal type player once in a while. I hated it when he was playing against us....

Yeah i'm a C.Mathews hater as well but if he puts on that Bears uniform then i'm a big Clay Mathews fan for as long as he's wearing it. Also those 8 sacks came in 13 games. As our 3rd OLB i'd be good with it and he does bring the leadership skills as well.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Yeah i'm a C.Mathews hater as well but if he puts on that Bears uniform then i'm a big Clay Mathews fan for as long as he's wearing it. Also those 8 sacks came in 13 games. As our 3rd OLB i'd be good with it and he does bring the leadership skills as well.
Has Mathews played ILB? For some reason, I thought they moved him at the end of his time at GB?

He could provide some depth if that is the case.