Frustrated Fan

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good morning BIG ERN! Make it a great day!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Great question and I'll give a slightly different answer. All things being equal every team has a 1/32 (~3%) chance of winning a superbowl every year. Granted, all things aren't equal. There are ~10 coaches which are regarded as SB quality and probably ~15 teams with a roster talent enough to win. Those coaches are in high demand, so it goes without saying teams, like the Bears, try to make it happen with a lesser quality coach. Those rosters with injuries factoring in are always in flux, so again, not something you can count on.

The truth is, expecting a Superbowl is a pretty lofty goal for any team, let alone a team with a sub optimal coach and roster. For a fan that's tough to hear because they feel every year their team has a legit chance.

So what's my point? Fans, across the board, should probably lower their expectations. It's sad to hear that, but if an NFL team is causing you frustration and ultimately you know there's nothing you can do about the outcome, then try not to align your mood to the teams performance. Just enjoy the ride. Look at each game as if it's a movie that you don't know how it will end. Try to not expect wins and hope for a good story. If they lay a stinker, then treat it like a bad movie. Turn it off and forget it ever happened.

As an example, I'm an Eagles fan. We are in rebuild mode with a rookie head coach who's muddling his way through the play calling side of things, effectively a rookie 2nd round QB and our schedule is hella tough. Should I get mad every time they lose? Is that fair to the people I really care about that care about me, being my friends and family? It took me about 4 games to get my head around this, but I don't expect them to win. I'm looking for some signs of building towards something greater, but in all honesty, there's a real possibility that will never happen with this coach/roster.

Specific to your Bears you have a rookie QB and a coach who's not really shown to be top caliber. Just lower the bar to realistic goals and enjoy the good plays when they happen. Montgomery, Mooney, Fields, Johnson, etc... have all provided plays that should have made you happy. Focus on those ones and try to forget the ones that would annoy you. Life is too short to live angry. You end up missing what's really important.

Last edited: