Funny, but sad: Raiders gave Jamarcus Russell blank "game" tapes

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Former NFL OL, and former Illini, David Diehl said on talk radio this week that when Russell was Raiders' QB, the coaching staff tested to see if he was watching the game tapes he was supposed to be studying.

They gave him blank tapes, and he would come to practice the next day saying he had studied the blitz packages they wanted him to study.

Dude was making a shit ton of money, and couldn't be bothered to do his job or even try.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard this story a few months back.....guy has a history of being a douche.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Maybe they should have tested him a little more before they drafted him and paid him 10s of millions...lol

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I heard this story a few months back.....guy has a history of being a douche.

I saw it somewhere today. Didn't realize it was older news. But, man, what a dud.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He also was addicted to the sizzurp as well. Al Davis was thoroughly impressed that he could throw 60yds... from his knees. Because that is a must have talent.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
446698.jpg

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read this first as Jamarcus Webb

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Former NFL OL, and former Illini, David Diehl said on talk radio this week that when Russell was Raiders' QB, the coaching staff tested to see if he was watching the game tapes he was supposed to be studying.

They gave him blank tapes, and he would come to practice the next day saying he had studied the blitz packages they wanted him to study.

Dude was making a shit ton of money, and couldn't be bothered to do his job or even try.

Flat out embarrassing! He was too busy getting high on cough syrup to be bothered with any of that football business. idiot

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Raider leadership was garbage back then ( the HC tom cable got into a fight with one of his asst. coaches back then). Nobody was accountable. Maybe Russell felt they were full of crap giving him blank tapes, so he went along and said he watched them ( who knows). Yeah, Russell was immature.

Bottom-line, the b.s. coaching staff should have been going over film with him. Even when Russell wasn't there, that coaching staff didn't do crap and they were fired.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I read this first as Jamarcus Webb

There was a site that dealt with the draft. One year the writers went to the week of practice before the Texas versus the Nation game. They would report how the players were doing. In one of the reports, they talked about how an offensive lineman was cutting forward or dropping back in the line play session to get a weaker defensive opponent.

That player was Jamarcus Webb.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Remember when he tried to make a comeback a few years after he was out of the league with Jeff Garcia as his qb coach/trainer. I know Trestman brought him in for a look. I am sure that locker room could have handled a player with that caliber of personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Raider leadership was garbage back then ( the HC tom cable got into a fight with one of his asst. coaches back then). Nobody was accountable. Maybe Russell felt they were full of crap giving him blank tapes, so he went along and said he watched them ( who knows). Yeah, Russell was immature.

Bottom-line, the b.s. coaching staff should have been going over film with him. Even when Russell wasn't there, that coaching staff didn't do crap and they were fired.
I'm sure they did go over film with him and it's not grade school. Why would they test him if they didn't care? How can you make excuses for such a douche? Oh right, you just run with shit.

Knapp may not have been a great OC but he's not the kind of guy to slack off or not work directly with a QB. It's what he still does. Your Purple Drank 300 lb QB was given numerous post Raider workouts and interviews and was just a fail. He may have had a forn a ADD but that doesn't make you lie, get high or even attempt to watch that tape

In 2015, Matt Millen said in a radio interview that he warned former Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis not to draft Russell in 2007. According to Millen, Russell struggled to pay attention during a pre-draft interview in his office during a visit to Detroit which had the No. 2 pick that year to the point where Millen kicked Russell out after he kept looking down at his watch.

"I keep talking to him, I ask him questions and he looks at his watch," Millen said. "I said, 'You got some place you need to be?' And he goes, 'Oh, no, no, no. I'm sorry. Sorry, sir.' So I ask him another question, he looks at his watch and I said, 'You're done, get out of here." Millen said he then told Russell to go to see head coach Rod Marinelli, who later also told Russell to leave his office. "So I'm done, I can't believe what I just witnessed, and so I call Al," Millen said, "I get on the phone and I say, 'Coach, I don't know what you're thinking, but don't take JaMarcus Russell. Please don't take Calvin Johnson, but don't take JaMarcus Russell."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, not your fault tho. We seem overly obsessed with the Raiders for some reason.

Yeah, me seeing a story about an NFL quarterback not watching film clearly means I have an obsession with the Raiders as that is now my first ever thread about the Raiders.

Excuse me while I finish painting my house silver and black.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm sure they did go over film with him and it's not grade school. Why would they test him if they didn't care? How can you make excuses for such a douche? Oh right, you just run with shit.

Knapp may not have been a great OC but he's not the kind of guy to slack off or not work directly with a QB. It's what he still does. Your Purple Drank 300 lb QB was given numerous post Raider workouts and interviews and was just a fail. He may have had a forn a ADD but that doesn't make you lie, get high or even attempt to watch that tape

In 2015, Matt Millen said in a radio interview that he warned former Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis not to draft Russell in 2007. According to Millen, Russell struggled to pay attention during a pre-draft interview in his office during a visit to Detroit which had the No. 2 pick that year to the point where Millen kicked Russell out after he kept looking down at his watch.

"I keep talking to him, I ask him questions and he looks at his watch," Millen said. "I said, 'You got some place you need to be?' And he goes, 'Oh, no, no, no. I'm sorry. Sorry, sir.' So I ask him another question, he looks at his watch and I said, 'You're done, get out of here." Millen said he then told Russell to go to see head coach Rod Marinelli, who later also told Russell to leave his office. "So I'm done, I can't believe what I just witnessed, and so I call Al," Millen said, "I get on the phone and I say, 'Coach, I don't know what you're thinking, but don't take JaMarcus Russell. Please don't take Calvin Johnson, but don't take JaMarcus Russell."

That’s just so Matt Millen. Call Davis, who is obsessed with drafting WRs, and tell him Don’t draft the QB but then also pass on the next best guy.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

------

Greg Knapp was a below avg. OC/Qb coach. He had Vick and had no real impact. You know zero about Knapp, Plus he’s had a million jobs and never rose to HC consideration ( most of the time he was fired).

Point is…. I would never, as a coach, give one of my players "blank, 'effing tapes". I would never want to be connected to some unprofessional garbage like that ( it males everybody look bad and it shows a lack of leadership and accountability all the way around).

But, You do not know what really happened behind the scenes. YOU don't know if "they worked with him" We also don't know his side of the story. And if you DO KNOW all sides...... prove it with linked data.
-----

Matt Millen was hot garbage as a front office ‘exec’ ( He wasn’t even qualified to be the GM…wonder how or WHY he got the job ummm). Maybe Russell sensed that and didn’t wanna waste time with Millen ( who knows what happened, since we don't have BOTH sides of the story. )
Millen was a LOSER in DET. Who HAD no business being a GM.

Plus Millen once used the N-WORD during a pro game (talk about lack of character).

Here it is: https://youtu.be/vC194mORjc0

SO I could care less what Millen thinks. NO wonder Det. FIRED him. Oh and how did head coach Rod Marinelli end up
(0-16 record…please, all those guys were losers). With all this said yes Russell was immature. Did he bring a " Russell Wilson-Tom Brady attitude to the table" no. He needed strong, accountable leadership and never got it.
NO....strong, accountable leadership.That's why all those coaches were ultimately FIRED.

Next order of business......

Oh right, you just run with shit. "
Yeah...ur just a scorned little beatch that can't have a civil discussion ( without changing or making covert negative, unprovoked, beatch comments about a posters screen name U POS).

Now YOU can run, while I shit in your mom's mouth. You asked for IT. And anytime you try and play derisive games with my screen name...I'm going to lay into your azz.

Bort

Liked Posts:
------

Greg Knapp was a below avg. OC/Qb coach. He had Vick and had no real impact. You know zero about Knapp, Plus he’s had a million jobs and never rose to HC consideration ( most of the time he was fired).

Point is…. I would never, as a coach, give one of my players "blank, 'effing tapes". I would never want to be connected to some unprofessional garbage like that ( it males everybody look bad and it shows a lack of leadership and accountability all the way around).

But, You do not know what really happened behind the scenes. YOU don't know if "they worked with him" We also don't know his side of the story. And if you DO KNOW all sides...... prove it with linked data.
-----

Matt Millen was hot garbage as a front office ‘exec’ ( He wasn’t even qualified to be the GM…wonder how or WHY he got the job ummm). Maybe Russell sensed that and didn’t wanna waste time with Millen ( who knows what happened, since we don't have BOTH sides of the story. )
Millen was a LOSER in DET. Who HAD no business being a GM. Plus Millen once used the N-WORD during a pro game (talk about lack of character).

Here it is: https://youtu.be/vC194mORjc0

SO I could care less what Millen thinks. NO wonder Det. FIRED him. Oh and how did head coach Rod Marinelli end up
(0-16 record…please, all those guys were losers). With all this said yes Russell was immature. Did he bring a " Russell Wilson-Tom Brady attitude to the table" no. He needed strong, accountable leadership and never got it. That's why all those coaches were ultimately FIRED.

Next order of business......

Yeah...ur just a scorned little beatch that can't have a civil discussion ( without changing or making covert negative, unprovoked, comments about a posters screen name U POS).

Now YOU can run, while I shit in your mom's mouth. You asked for IT. And anytime you try and play derisive games with my screen name...I'm going to lay into your azz.

This is such a bad post that it's almost like its trying to turn bad posting into performance art or something.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is such a bad post that it's almost like its trying to turn bad posting into performance art or something.

"bad posting".....Don't know what you mean

It's a pubic forum and not everyone is going to agree.