Gabriel: More You Think, The More Signs That Point To Bears Taking QB With 1st-Round

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope so, but not counting on it....Gonna be a long two weeks. (only posted a portion of article below)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/13/more-signs-point-to-bears-selected-quarterback-nfl-draft/By Greg Gabriel–

(CBS) — With the start of the NFL Draft looming on April 27, pro days are over and so are private workouts, for the most part. The scouting departments of most clubs are now in meetings, setting their value boards as they get ready.

As we draw closer to the draft, one certainty we have is that little information about who the Bears like or dislike has come out of Halas Hall. General manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox do an excellent job of staying quiet. While the names of a few players the Bears have worked out or had in for visits have surfaced, that number isn’t close to the total of 30 players that teams can bring in.

During free agency, the Bears essentially signed at least one player at every need position, which leaves no obvious need at any one position. That means the Bears could go in just about any direction with their premium picks and draft the proverbial “best player available.”

Having previously worked in NFL front offices, I view situations through that lens and put myself into the shoes of the primary decision makers and their thought process. And the more I think about it, the more I strongly feel that the Bears will pick a quarterback with their first pick....

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This line is also telling. Bunch of smoke out there>

"I’ve always felt that this quarterback class is much better than many of the analysts have given it credit for. The fact that there have been numerous private workouts in recent weeks with many of the quarterbacks backs this line of thinking."

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
1. We know 21 of the Bears 30 private visits.
2. Bears have had private visits with all four of the players they've taken in the first two rounds under Pace.
3. Saying "I think it's going to be a quarterback at 3 because we haven't heard about their possible meetings" is nonsense logic.
4. We know the Bears have had private meetings with Kizer and Mahomes.

Gabriel continually says you can't trust anything you hear but then says he knows better then other analysts based on what he hears(!). Every single source I've seen says the same basic thing...weak class, but teams will reach. Every time someone says a team is interested in a QB, it's from a different team, not a source from within said team.

I'm not saying the Bears won't draft a QB at 3. I have no idea. But Gabriel's reasoning is flawed, at best.

Luke

Liked Posts:
This was the same boob who said that there was too much Glennon talk and the Bears weren't going to sign him.

baredown

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying the Bears won't draft a QB at 3. I have no idea. But Gabriel's reasoning is flawed, at best.

There's a reason Gabriel is a lower tier media draft guy, not someone still employed within the NFL team personnel evaluation domain. He provides no substance for his opinion, other than he thinks the Bears are leaning QB. Your analysis is a lot more succinct and rational than his...

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There's a reason Gabriel is a lower tier media draft guy, not someone still employed within the NFL team personnel evaluation domain. He provides no substance for his opinion, other than he thinks the Bears are leaning QB. Your analysis is a lot more succinct and rational than his...

I know he called the Kyle Fuller pick and pretty sure he had the Bears taking Floyd last year. He definitely still has sources with the organization.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So do you want him to be a media guy? Or an NFL personnel evaluator? I'm confused. Can't be both.

martin.johnson73

Liked Posts:
Pace met with multiple QBs last gear still did not take one. I think they like Kizer and Watson but they will not take either at 3. They may trade back into the 1st round

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gabriel is a pretty good follow and one of the media guys who does not flop around.

He has been on 4 QBs in the 1st for a long time.

I asked him 3 weeks ago if he thought the Bears would go QB at 3, he said he really didn't know. Now he has a pretty strong take that the Bears will go QB. I will put some weight into it, more so than some of the guys who spout off something new each day.

I would be fascinated to know if we have had Watson and atrubisky into Halas Hall quietly.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I know he called the Kyle Fuller pick and pretty sure he had the Bears taking Floyd last year. He definitely still has sources with the organization.

He had the Bears taking Shaq Lawson. He had Paxton Lynch going top 10, and Conner Cook(!) at the end of the 1st. He also went on and on about Kevin Hogan, that NFL people LOVED Hogan, media analysts had no idea what they were talking about, and he GUARANTEED Hogan would go in the 2nd based on his contacts...so...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had the Bears taking Shaw Lawson. He had Paxton Lynch going top 10, and Conner Cook(!) at the end of the 1st. He also went on and on about Kevin Hogan, that NFL people LOVED Hogan, media analysts had no idea what they were talking about, and he GUARANTEED Hogan would go in the 2nd based on his contacts...so...

Gabriel doesn't come out that strong that often.

"Strongly believe" is a little former stance than you often see from Gabriel on a topic. I agree he doesn't know, but interesting he is getting that feeling.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
And I think that since Pace got a QB, in FA that he is not interested in any QB this year. No reading between the lines, my hunch is based upon actions that have actually happened.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And I think that since Pace got a QB, in FA that he is not interested in any QB this year. No reading between the lines, my hunch is based upon actions that have actually happened.

He had to get a veteran.

And we know free agent QBs are not good and almost never successful.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
This QB class still isn't that strong after you get last the top guys. Compared to last year? Sure, but outside of Wentz and Prescott that's not saying much.

Compared to the other 2018 class of Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen...then Francois, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk?

That group is fucking stacked.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Also, Gabriel is still an asshole. Which is sad bc he offers good insight on the draft process.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
He had the Bears taking Shaw Lawson. He had Paxton Lynch going top 10, and Conner Cook(!) at the end of the 1st. He also went on and on about Kevin Hogan, that NFL people LOVED Hogan, media analysts had no idea what they were talking about, and he GUARANTEED Hogan would go in the 2nd based on his contacts...so...

Dude, spot on about his love for Hogan. He DMed me on Twitter about it. That I was wrong, NFL guys love him, etc.

ad099dc9248a43fb4dd49d8c1817cd23.jpg

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As each day passes, Trubisky at #3 is looking more and more likely.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This QB class still isn't that strong after you get last the top guys. Compared to last year? Sure, but outside of Wentz and Prescott that's not saying much.

Compared to the other 2018 class of Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen...then Francois, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk?

That group is fucking stacked.

I don't know. Darnold (who may not even declare) and Rosen look like top picks. After that I'm not so sure it's all that special. Jackson might not be a QB. Allen is absurdly raw, no idea how he'll progress but he isn't in the conversation yet, imo. Mayfield I wouldn't put anywhere near the top group in any year. I do like Falk and thought he might come out this year.