Gale Sayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I know 2001 was 9 years ago, that's not my point. Not saying he was the same player as he was in 2001, my point was now all the sudden he's a bum, etc.. I'm not gonna rip the guy for every little thing because he's not as good as he used to be.

He's been a gigantic dick to the media? My response is - who cares?

So basically when he's playing well it's okay to let things slide. But when he gets hurt, etc. then it's okay to rip him?

I'm not gonna do that. I appreciate what Urlacher has done and I'm not gonna piss all over the guy because he doesn't open his heart up to media folks. If he comes out this year and is terrible, then the Bears can go in another direction. I think he was wrong for going there with Sayers.

But again, my post wasn't really about his play on the field. More the type of reaction he gets from fans. Ripping Urlacher just seems like the fashionable thing to do now. I'm not sure why? There's a TON of other reasons the Bears haven't been to the playoffs in 3 years. As I'm sure you know.

No, don't purposely forget to mention reasons why Urlacher has been on the receiving end of criticism for the last few years. "But when he gets hurt, etc..." My fucking ass. Stop making it seem like all the hate on Urlacher is irrational or dumb because almost a decade ago people loved him.

He's been bad to the point of embarrassing of late, has been a huge dick to the media when talking about his play and the play of the team (which is also being a dick to the fans, who turn to player interviews for insight on the team), and has received criticism because of it.

But by your logic, we shouldn't talk bad about Urlacher because he was good when he was in his prime? Please, at least try not to be that much of a fucking moron.

He was good then, and people loved him because of it. He's bad now, and is receiving criticism accordingly. In no way should his performance A FUCKING DECADE AGO carry any weight whatsoever in determining how people view him as a player now. If we were talking about HOF stuff or just looking back on his career after he's gone, fine, but he's still a player, and a decidedly sub-par one at that.

Last edited:

Kush77

Liked Posts:
No, don't purposely forget to mention reasons why Urlacher has been on the receiving end of criticism for the last few years. "But when he gets hurt, etc..." My fucking ass. Stop making it seem like all the hate on Urlacher is irrational or dumb because almost a decade ago people loved him.

He's been bad to the point of embarrassing of late, has been a huge dick to the media when talking about his play and the play of the team (which is also being a dick to the fans, who turn to player interviews for insight on the team), and has received criticism because of it.

But by your logic, we shouldn't talk bad about Urlacher because he was good when he was in his prime? Please, at least try not to be that much of a fucking moron.

He was good then, and people loved him because of it. He's bad now, and is receiving criticism accordingly. In no way should his performance A FUCKING DECADE AGO carry any weight whatsoever in determining how people view him as a player now. If we were talking about HOF stuff or just looking back on his career after he's gone, fine, but he's still a player, and a decidedly sub-par one at that.

Jeez, take it easy friend.

Didn't say you couldn't criticize him. I just choose not to jump all over the guy because he's a dick to the media. I could care less if he's a dick to the media. That's not the same as being a dick to the fans. But if that's how you need to rationalize it to bash him some more than be my guest, it's your opinion.

"Please, at least try not to be that much of a fucking moron."

Uh oh. I'll try better next time. :buttrock:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Jeez, take it easy friend.

Didn't say you couldn't criticize him. I just choose not to jump all over the guy because he's a dick to the media. I could care less if he's a dick to the media. That's not the same as being a dick to the fans. But if that's how you need to rationalize it to bash him some more than be my guest, it's your opinion.

"Please, at least try not to be that much of a fucking moron."

Uh oh. I'll try better next time. :buttrock:

Why have you latched on to this "being a dick to the media" thing like it's the only reason anyone has ever said anything bad about Brian Urlacher? You know why else people choose to rip on him? Because he's slow, isn't good in coverage anymore and over-pursues like few in the league.

There are plenty of valid reasons people criticize Urlacher, yet you seem to want to make out everyone's criticisms as irrational or unwarranted and make this media thing out to be the only reason people have to lambaste Urlacher. Get a fucking clue

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Why have you latched on to this "being a dick to the media" thing like it's the only reason anyone has ever said anything bad about Brian Urlacher? You know why else people choose to rip on him? Because he's slow, isn't good in coverage anymore and over-pursues like few in the league.

There are plenty of valid reasons people criticize Urlacher, yet you seem to want to make out everyone's criticisms as irrational or unwarranted and make this media thing out to be the only reason people have to lambaste Urlacher. Get a fucking clue

I know man. When I say fans and media I'm just saying in general. Not 100%

You brought up the media thing twice. and when you tie it into the fans then that WOULd be a problem. But I don't think Urlacher being an ass to the media means he's being an ass to the fans. Being an ass to the fans would be a legit reason to bash a guy 100%. But that's not the case.

And I'll say it again, my post wasn't really about his play on the field. But you've seemed to take it as such. Fine with me.

"Get a fucking clue"
Sorry sir, I'll do better next time. :kick:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I respect Gale Sayers as a player/person, but this isn't the first time he's opened his big yap and offended current Bears.

Yeah I remember hearing about stories of Sayers kind of dogging on Payton a bit when Walter was playing.

I'll see if I can find them.

Overall though Sayers is a fan of this team and I'm sure it's as frustrating as it is to us that they have failed for three years to even make the playoffs. Could be even more frustrating seeing as he was/is part of that organization. Bottom line though is Sayers isn't saying anything that Jim Miller, Jerry Azumah, Dan Jiggetts aren't saying on the air on CSN.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
Bitter over what?

Not bitter towards the Bears but rather over the way his career was cut short by serious injury. Who knows how many records he would have if not for having to retire early.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
Ok....

but how would those things promise to reduse Cutlers TO's when he threw 18 picks with all of those things two seasons ago?

I think Bears fans forget that Rivers actually should have made the Pro Bowl over Cutler that season and while I really like Cutler and glad he is here I'm not going to go all revisionist history on the type of QB he was in Denver.

K?

That doesn't exempt Cutler from learning the offense...which is one reason people give for him struggling last season...learning a new offense.

Cutlers problem wasn't learning Turdners "O" last year. The problem WAS Turdners "O". Hard to effectivly execute the "O" when everyone, including my dog, knows what play is called. The predictability was off the charts and that coupled with a bad "O" line caused Cutler to run for his life and contributed to turnovers. Not all of them but a LOT of them. JMHO.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutlers problem wasn't learning Turdners "O" last year.
I know.

I never said it was.

I was just pointing out that the reasons every one gives for why Cutler struggled last year still exisit this year so their optimism in some cases doesn't make any sense.

The predictability was off the charts and that coupled with a bad "O" line caused Cutler to run for his life and contributed to turnovers. Not all of them but a LOT of them. JMHO.

Every offense is predictable. The issue the Bears just don't have very dan good players on it. You don't think the Bears offense in 2005 was predictable under Turner? Jones still ran for a crazy amount of yardage (and averaged 4.3 YPC). The "predictability thing" is overrated. If your team is good enough you can run whatever you want.

The play calling choices of Tuner though...that's a seperate issue.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
I know.

I never said it was.

I was just pointing out that the reasons every one gives for why Cutler struggled last year still exisit this year so their optimism in some cases doesn't make any sense.

Every offense is predictable. The issue the Bears just don't have very dan good players on it. You don't think the Bears offense in 2005 was predictable under Turner? Jones still ran for a crazy amount of yardage (and averaged 4.3 YPC). The "predictability thing" is overrated. If your team is good enough you can run whatever you want.

The play calling choices of Tuner though...that's a seperate issue.

I hear what you are saying here. When I watch the good teams "O" I see that the coordinator mixes things up so much that it keeps the "D" off balance and they don't know what's coming next. That's what we didn't do under Turdner. I'm hopefull that Martz will give us that aspect that's been missing for so many years. I also hope that the "O" line will be better with players in the CORRECT positions. We saw some of that towards the end of last season when they finally got it right. The same thing applies to the "D" as well but in this case I dont feel good about Lovie being able to put a scheme together that will keep opposing "O's" off balance. JMHO

:)

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Not bitter towards the Bears but rather over the way his career was cut short by serious injury. Who knows how many records he would have if not for having to retire early.

You are a 100% right. Sayers has said many times that if his career hadn't been cut short he would have all the records and not Walter Payton. He has always thought he was a better palyer the Payton. And he is really bitter about how much the players are paid today.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear what you are saying here. When I watch the good teams "O" I see that the coordinator mixes things up so much that it keeps the "D" off balance and they don't know what's coming next.
You know what you see on good offenses too? A legit passing and running game. That's what keeps the defense off balance. Having to respect both the passing game and the running game because of the talent on the field. I mean when did Turner really have legit threats in both the passing and running game? 2006? What did they do that year? Top 2 in the league in points per game. Same deal in 1995 with him. Kramer had a career year. You had two quality WR's(Conway and Graham) and Salaam before he went hay wire. That Bears offense was one of the best in the last 30 years. I'm not saying Turner is a great OC, IMO he's below average but the whole "balance" and predictability stuff is bull.

Adibear

Liked Posts:
I like Sayers,but he is full of shit most of the time...I take my hat of to Urlac for standing up for the team.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are a 100% right. Sayers has said many times that if his career hadn't been cut short he would have all the records and not Walter Payton. He has always thought he was a better palyer the Payton. And he is really bitter about how much the players are paid today.
While players do make ridiculous amounts these days, when there's a limited amount of people who are the best at what they do, their salaries will be high and they will increase.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

Did he really say that?.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Here's another idiot that needs to bridle his tongue...Herm Edwards:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9LYne-SMg]YouTube - Bears War Of Words[/ame]

Edit, I can see why Herm Edwards made those comments.

Last edited:

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I hate Herm Edwards. Both him and Tony Dungy make me want to punch babies every time they open their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.