Gardening

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I fought with squirrels for three years.

The nasty grey fuckers that dig under concrete slabs and make dens. Nasty little bastards. The big brown tree squirrels never bothered me, but my dog got one and one got hit by a car and then these grey fuckers showed up.

Since I obviously cannot have them under my foundation I started trapping and drowning. That worked kind of, then they got in my crawlspace and I had to start a new war on them. Capsaicin and some wire mesh stopped them entering the crawl space, but the best thing happened after that.

About three or so random cats started hanging out around the yard intermittently. My dog is pissed about it, but there are no more squirrels. There are two or three big cats (like 15 plus pounders) that hang out in various areas of my yard at various times. Surprisingly not a lot of cat fights that I have noticed. I think these cats all have homes around the area, but like lazing around in shaded areas of my big yard.

So maybe try a yard cat?

Not a bad suggestion. Now that you mention it, the few years I grew catnip, I didn't have a squirrel problem.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not a bad suggestion. Now that you mention it, the few years I grew catnip, I didn't have a squirrel problem.
What's your rabbit solution?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Brine overnight, Smoke at 225 for one hour and then reverse sear to temp while basting on homemade scorpion pepper bbq sauce every couple minutes.

.22 takes em out too.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I have Carolina Reapers, Jalapeño, Ceranno, Cayenne,Habenero,Anaheim, Ghost all started in seed starter tray.
We are still getting nights in the 30s and 40s here so they wont go outside until end of April i imagine

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I bet @Crystallas could rig you up a neat ass snare to capture them within city limits with no illegal firing of a gun needed.

But I like shooting them in their faces...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have Carolina Reapers, Jalapeño, Ceranno, Cayenne,Habenero,Anaheim, Ghost all started in seed starter tray.
We are still getting nights in the 30s and 40s here so they wont go outside until end of April i imagine

Mine are going out tomorrow. The low tonight is 39, but starting tomorrow night the lows are in the 40's and moving the right direction.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Mine are going out tomorrow. The low tonight is 39, but starting tomorrow night the lows are in the 40's and moving the right direction.
I love growing stuff.
I wish MD would legalize so I can grow my own weed crop

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I love growing stuff.
I wish MD would legalize so I can grow my own weed crop

That makes two of us. I qualify for medical, but I haven't gone that route yet. They almost made it legal here last year. there wasn't any language for growing it in the legalization bill other than to say if you had three or less plants it was now a 75$ fine instead of a 4th degree felony.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
That makes two of us. I qualify for medical, but I haven't gone that route yet. They almost made it legal here last year. there wasn't any language for growing it in the legalization bill other than to say if you had three or less plants it was now a 75$ fine instead of a 4th degree felony.

I could get my card as well but they haven't figured out gun ownership yet and my wife is sort of federal law enforcement too so there's 2 really good reasons to not get my weed card.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I could get my card as well but they haven't figured out gun ownership yet and my wife is sort of federal law enforcement too so there's 2 really good reasons to not get my weed card.

The whole federal versus state law thing is a pita.

Having weed and guns without a card is not less of a penalty though I am sure.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The whole federal versus state law thing is a pita.

Having weed and guns without a card is not less of a penalty though I am sure.
In MD as far as I know, you cannot purchase handguns with a weed card...currently...They are supposed to be working on that.
I also imagine when you get your card, you are now part of some database as well and I'm not so hip to
that just yet. I'm no criminal but I don't want to have it be known I like pot. I am in and out of many peoples homes, some famous, some very high up in govt. If I lost that clearance due to some pot I'd be bitter like sour diesel.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beagles are excellent rabbit dogs.

When I was growing up we had a cat and a dog. The cat(Scoobie) was just an average sized cat but one day I was outside and glanced over at this big group of bushes on the side of the yard and out came Scoobie carrying a rabbit as big as she was. It was a funny thing to see, she brought it up close to the house and set it in the grass and trotted away.

Home Depot will have some repellent for critters, not sure how effective they are. We have had ground hogs and once a skunk hanging out under our deck. A couple mesh bags full of moth balls placed under the deck worked great. If we were using the deck we'd pull them out so we didn't have to smell them.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
In MD as far as I know, you cannot purchase handguns with a weed card...currently...They are supposed to be working on that.
I also imagine when you get your card, you are now part of some database as well and I'm not so hip to
that just yet. I'm no criminal but I don't want to have it be known I like pot. I am in and out of many peoples homes, some famous, some very high up in govt. If I lost that clearance due to some pot I'd be bitter like sour diesel.

That makes sense. The whole purchasing guns thing with pot is going to be hung up at a federal level until there is a change in federal legalization.

You have to literally check I am not a marijuana user and understand that medical marijuana doesnt give any exception on the federal form.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Just hire Ommy to drive his Audi around your neighborhood every few weeks. Rabbit's hate the smell of Bull.

For srs? I would dump my old hot peppers into their hiding holes. Using the store bought dried stuff washes away quick in the rain. I still have rabbits that show up, but they don't live on my property nor do they bother me anymore.

Also, you could get a few drunk friends to piss outside, hide in a bush away from your food garden and just let it go. Human urine when pungently dehydrated, will tell them not to build their burrows on near the predator. Once fully dug, they may take their chances.

And decoy owls don't work, even the battery operated ones that spin their head, flash lights, and make noises. I seen people at Aldi buying one. Weird that Aldi's sold DECOY OWLS, but whatever. If social distancing wasn't important, I would have asked if they were using them for pests and saved them the money.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That makes sense. The whole purchasing guns thing with pot is going to be hung up at a federal level until there is a change in federal legalization.

You have to literally check I am not a marijuana user and understand that medical marijuana doesnt give any exception on the federal form.

Stoners love to shoot people.

Drunks, not so much....

WWWAAIT, or is it the other way around?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Has anyone used this in their gardens before?? did it help with the bugs?

I am thinking about getting the 3 in 1 and a couple of bags of lady bugs...

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Just hire Ommy to drive his Audi around your neighborhood every few weeks. Rabbit's hate the smell of Bull.

For srs? I would dump my old hot peppers into their hiding holes. Using the store bought dried stuff washes away quick in the rain. I still have rabbits that show up, but they don't live on my property nor do they bother me anymore.

Also, you could get a few drunk friends to piss outside, hide in a bush away from your food garden and just let it go. Human urine when pungently dehydrated, will tell them not to build their burrows on near the predator. Once fully dug, they may take their chances.

And decoy owls don't work, even the battery operated ones that spin their head, flash lights, and make noises. I seen people at Aldi buying one. Weird that Aldi's sold DECOY OWLS, but whatever. If social distancing wasn't important, I would have asked if they were using them for pests and saved them the money.

If given the opportunity to let a handful of my most dehydrated best buds piss all over my yard or shooting the rabbits, I think I'd invite all my dehydrated buddies over and offer them gatorade and then we shoot the rabbits

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If given the opportunity to let a handful of my most dehydrated best buds piss all over my yard or shooting the rabbits, I think I'd invite all my dehydrated buddies over and offer them gatorade and then we shoot the rabbits
And then: