Liked Posts:
Do you see what I see? :eek:

garden_10.jpg

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I woke up this morning, and my cheesecake petunias are gone. Damn squirrels. Glad they started w/ the flowers instead of the veggies. Time for some tobasco/cayenne pepper solution around the garden.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
minor updates. Garden is growing, tomatoes are popping up.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
First banana pepper is forming:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Tomatoes poppin' up, Banana peppers are forming, Fooled You peppers are sprouting...Still waiting on the cayenne peppers and the jalapeno peppers.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Tomatoes poppin' up, Banana peppers are forming, Fooled You peppers are sprouting...Still waiting on the cayenne peppers and the jalapeno peppers.

Where do u live that tomatoes are already going, when did u plant em?

I've had plenty of buds I am pinching off, but plans are only a foot and a half so far...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Where do u live that tomatoes are already going, when did u plant em?

I've had plenty of buds I am pinching off, but plans are only a foot and a half so far...

Southern Ky...planted them around a month ago. First of May is rule of thumb around here.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Southern Ky...planted them around a month ago. First of May is rule of thumb around here.

Now it makes sense. We still had a frost after that in Illinois. I planted peppers anyways and had to tarp them. Got fruit starting on three of the plants though.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
some pics of the backyard early season (sans Lilac bush, damn thing was the best in the neighborhood but only bloomed for 6 days)

20130609_141504.jpg

from right, various hot peppers, box of herbs, box of squash and heirloom carrots.

20130609_141521.jpg

tomatoes: black crim, cherry, san marzano, brandywine, yard waste

20130609_141542.jpg

cukes, empty space where beets will sprout, box of cabbages. little pot of strawberries, dedicated basil planter.

Not shown: ten by ten plot of greens just sown, mini cornfield (three rows 20x10 behind the garage) this area will be the home of three chickens next spring.

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Here's pictures of the forming Fooled You peppers, the froming/growing Banana peppers, and some new tomatoes coming up.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Now it makes sense. We still had a frost after that in Illinois. I planted peppers anyways and had to tarp them. Got fruit starting on three of the plants though.

Yeah, it's always sketchy around here when you plant a week early or so...which I did. I think I actually had my stuff planted about 5 days prior to May -- and I almost lost them due to a cpl frost-threatening nights. Luckily the frost held off and didn't threaten my plants.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nice peppers, pops. Can't wait til mine get big. What do u plan on doing with all of them? Salsa? Hot sauce? I have some good hot sauce techniques...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nice peppers, pops. Can't wait til mine get big. What do u plan on doing with all of them? Salsa? Hot sauce? I have some good hot sauce techniques...

I've done salsa in the past, and I came up w/ a recipe that I really, really like. Probably gonna keep working on those...I'm interested in creating my own hot sauce/bbq sauces, too...and would like to hear about your techniques.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Question for those that have grown peppers before:

Over the last couple of days, we've gotten steady, constant rain. Last night, one of my banana pepper plants laid over due to the weight. It didn't break or crease or anything, just laid over...I reinforced w/ extra soil at the base and stood it up, and this morning it was laying down again. I'm assuming as it dries it will straighten back up, but....do I need to stake or cage them to hold them upright? I mean, we're going to get more rain eventually, and as the peppers form and grow the plant will get heavier. What have you all done in the past? Ever had this issue?

/long question.

tl/dr; DO YOU CAGE PEPPER PLANTS?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Question for those that have grown peppers before:

Over the last couple of days, we've gotten steady, constant rain. Last night, one of my banana pepper plants laid over due to the weight. It didn't break or crease or anything, just laid over...I reinforced w/ extra soil at the base and stood it up, and this morning it was laying down again. I'm assuming as it dries it will straighten back up, but....do I need to stake or cage them to hold them upright? I mean, we're going to get more rain eventually, and as the peppers form and grow the plant will get heavier. What have you all done in the past? Ever had this issue?

/long question.

tl/dr; DO YOU CAGE PEPPER PLANTS?

I haven't, but I pinch flowers, fruit at the beginning so the plants grow strong. Nothing wrong with helping them out though, IMO. I just think it's worth the wait to get a later, and maybe more abundant harvest than get those early bloomers low on the vine.

Definitely the way to go with tomatoes but I think it holds true for peppers too.

I would say if it's drooping, put stakes between the plants, run lines along the stakes and tie the peppers to the lines as it grows.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I haven't, but I pinch flowers, fruit at the beginning so the plants grow strong. Nothing wrong with helping them out though, IMO. I just think it's worth the wait to get a later, and maybe more abundant harvest than get those early bloomers low on the vine.

Definitely the way to go with tomatoes but I think it holds true for peppers too.

I would say if it's drooping, put stakes between the plants, run lines along the stakes and tie the peppers to the lines as it grows.

For what it's worth, I've heard a lot of ppl say they "pinch the blooms"...but don't know what it means (assuming it means pulling the yellow flowers off...) or why it's done...any help?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Pinching is basically pruning flowering plants in a way that takes the parts of the budding stem that were fighting the soil and conditions to grow with less resistance. It's hard to explain, but maybe someone has a decent youtube video detailing the different methods and what to watch for.

I never grew peppers because they're already so cheap at the "supermercando". $3 a lb for orange habaneros, great window sill life, and you can buy as little as $0.25 worth, and it's enough kick for a large meal. But yeah, I have no idea on what makes growing peppers any different.

I would prolly go with HHM's advice, treat them like tomato plants. You can twine those up, if you want, just make sure you do multiple points(think a bed of nails and distributing weight.)

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pinching is basically pruning flowering plants in a way that takes the parts of the budding stem that were fighting the soil and conditions to grow with less resistance. It's hard to explain, but maybe someone has a decent youtube video detailing the different methods and what to watch for.

I never grew peppers because they're already so cheap at the "supermercando". $3 a lb for orange habaneros, great window sill life, and you can buy as little as $0.25 worth, and it's enough kick for a large meal. But yeah, I have no idea on what makes growing peppers any different.

I would prolly go with HHM's advice, treat them like tomato plants. You can twine those up, if you want, just make sure you do multiple points(think a bed of nails and distributing weight.)

Will do. Guess I'm gonna start pulling flower buds, too. Will update tomorrow.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
pinching off the buds early on lets the plant dedicate more energy to building a good strong stem network, otherwise all the energy goes into the fruit. This is especially the case with tomatoes, so I'm assuming it would work well with peppers too.