Gardening

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So, should I be pruning my tomato plant? pinching off unnecessary stalks? For similar reasons to that of pinching?

And, I believe I've got a magnesium dificiency, as I have a couple shoots of leaves turning yellow - should I pinch them off as well? ?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
So, should I be pruning my tomato plant? pinching off unnecessary stalks? For similar reasons to that of pinching?

And, I believe I've got a magnesium dificiency, as I have a couple shoots of leaves turning yellow - should I pinch them off as well? ?

This should help, I mulch with humus/aged compost.

[video=youtube;11LNiIY6x78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LNiIY6x78[/video]

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Update: I've pinched several of the buds (but not all, out of fear from not knowing exactly what I'm doing)...I've got banana peppers growing...most of my plants are looking strong...and some ;AKLJF4RTALKDJFH;ALDSKJFA;LDFH; squirrels ate all but one broccoli plant last night, and a couple of my immature pepper plants...so I replaced w/ Habanero plants and watermelon plants. I've never grown watermelon before, but I know they grow in hot weather, and wife likes it...so figured I'd give it a shot.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
:woot: habaneros! :)

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:woot: habaneros! :)

yeah, I had some started from seeds, but they died shortly after transplanting them (did it too early)...so got some more mature plants that are already blooming.

Once I get enough plants to start my salsa back up, I'll perfect the recipe and share it w/ anyone interested....if anyone's interested... :shifty:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah, I had some started from seeds, but they died shortly after transplanting them (did it too early)...so got some more mature plants that are already blooming.

Once I get enough plants to start my salsa back up, I'll perfect the recipe and share it w/ anyone interested....if anyone's interested... :shifty:

I'll be interested!

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lost the rest of my broccoli plants and two habenero plants...bastard wildlife...planted 3 green bell pepper plants today (already blooming)...have habeneros, cayennes, bananas, fooled you peppers and tomatoes forming. Pulled my first banana pepper and fooled you pepper last night...good eatin'!

JiminyChristmas

Liked Posts:
And FFS, gardening is not gay you retards. But whatever, you can spend $100+ a month on produce that you can grow for free on your own property.

Gardening isn't free. There is the cost of the seeds and any equipment you buy to help you with gardening. There is also a massive time investment to make sure the plants are properly hydrated and taken care of. Then on top of that, the stress of having to worry about little animals taking bites out of your produce and viral/fungal infections.

Gardening isn't even close to being free my friend.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gardening isn't free. There is the cost of the seeds and any equipment you buy to help you with gardening. There is also a massive time investment to make sure the plants are properly hydrated and taken care of. Then on top of that, the stress of having to worry about little animals taking bites out of your produce and viral/fungal infections.

it's free-er....if you do it right. :eek:

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, how have I missed this thread? We have a raised bed behind the house that we have corn, buttercrunch lettuce, asparagus(that isn't growing), green beans, raspberies & strawberries. I've also planted a rose bush and a bunch of flowers in pots all around the deck. Unfortunately we don't have a real yard, our "yard" is a huge tiered deck, so we are confined to some beds and pots. I want to move sooooo bad to a place with a real yard...

A friend of mine is a freak about peppers and is growing habanero, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and ghost peppers. I can't wait to try his rectum rape salsa...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

gtfo. you have no idea until you do it and actually run the numbers. tomatoes and peppers are the only plants purchased, and the yield after two weeks of bearing fruit breaks me even. as far as the "massive time investment," the more time I spend in the garden, the less time I spend doing absolutely nothing (no gain) or doing heroin and crack cocaine (net loss) so gardening is a pretty good hobby.

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Man, how have I missed this thread? We have a raised bed behind the house that we have corn, buttercrunch lettuce, asparagus(that isn't growing), green beans, raspberies & strawberries. I've also planted a rose bush and a bunch of flowers in pots all around the deck. Unfortunately we don't have a real yard, our "yard" is a huge tiered deck, so we are confined to some beds and pots. I want to move sooooo bad to a place with a real yard...

A friend of mine is a freak about peppers and is growing habanero, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim and ghost peppers. I can't wait to try his rectum rape salsa...

ghost peppers.....ooooooooo *shudder*

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Quick update:

banana_peppers_6_29.jpg
= Banana Peppers

= Long Cayenne Peppers (the one closer to the bottom is about 7 in long now.)

= Fooled you Peppers

=Crys' Habeneros :D

= Jalapeno Peppers

= Pink Girl Tomatoes

= Pink Girl Tomatoes (topsy-turvy version)

= Watermelon

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Banana Peppers

Bell/Habanero Peppers

7_14_cayenne.jpg
Cayenne Peppers

fooled you peppers

Jalapeno Peppers

Pink Girl Tomatoes (finally) turning red

More tomatoes

Watermelon.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Alright, so I have flower bed all around my property - except it always looks like shit because of the weeds that grown. What is something good that I can throw down instead of the landscape fabric? The fabric looks like shit, I've take it all out anyways - but is there something I can throw down like Preen or something???

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of my stuff drowned. Tomatoes are still ok and so is my eggplant and broccoli. Bell peppers and cayenne peppers. Even all those plants are producing slow. I've got too much sand in my back yard and too much water standing. The plants either dry up or drown. I think I need to invest in getting some good soil brought in and building up my back yard a little.

Eggplants are awesome BTW. I think I might get a couple more plants next year so I can have a lot.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Alright, so I have flower bed all around my property - except it always looks like shit because of the weeds that grown. What is something good that I can throw down instead of the landscape fabric? The fabric looks like shit, I've take it all out anyways - but is there something I can throw down like Preen or something???

You could try a controlled burn. I'm not kidding. It's not that safe but it's really good for the soil. Much better than tilling. Research it first, you don't just through gas on there and light a match. If I wasn't at work I'd look it up for you but I don't want I.T. to think I'm trying to make a bomb.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You can also use a garden weasel type thing. I have one that twists about 3' up and does an awesome easy job removing that stuff as well as tilling the soil.

I also concur that a controlled burn works too, but as stated can be dangerous.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
update coming as soon as pics upload.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts: