Gardening

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
does it end with o? Fuckers. I'm not a corn fan but my wife is and it blocked the neighbors, so I was all for it. We will try the basil and onions idea. We were growing basil in a separate planter

omg

Now I need to plant corn, stat.

greatest. plan. ever.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
does it end with o? Fuckers. I'm not a corn fan but my wife is and it blocked the neighbors, so I was all for it. We will try the basil and onions idea. We were growing basil in a separate planter

It's surprising how much reach they have. It's funny that my father in law was a big chem exec and decided to 'retire' as a farmer. Food biz is probably the most evil thing one could find outside the church. Power to the people is the future. Last gasp for the common man, imo.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's surprising how much reach they have. It's funny that my father in law was a big chem exec and decided to 'retire' as a farmer. Food biz is probably the most evil thing one could find outside the church. Power to the people is the future. Last gasp for the common man, imo.

All this being said, corn is delicious, but is definitely the most prosperous and least beneficial grain for human consumption. The future is fuel, the midterm is feed for cancer causing beef food. Its cultivation is probably a plague for the human condition (hfcs is the main culprit in rampant diabetes and cancer causing meat in America) but there's nothing wrong with tortillasand eating some sweetcorn on the cob. It makes cattle sick is all, and is the primary feed for most of the beef we consume. fucked up is all.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hear ya, man. I knew the "maize" and "hfcs" stories, and we are slowly vegetarianizing ourselves with root veggies and leafy shit. damn now I wish we had a yard but the only one we could afford at the time we bought was in latin cobras territory :( . I love good cuts of meat but I am seriously trying to get comfortable with the idea of being a vegetarian

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Also, if you have a plot where you are planting corn (hopefully heirloom seed) plant beans and squash with it. They take good care of eachother.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hear ya, man. I knew the "maize" and "hfcs" stories, and we are slowly vegetarianizing ourselves with root veggies and leafy shit. damn now I wish we had a yard but the only one we could afford at the time we bought was in latin cobras territory :( . I love good cuts of meat but I am seriously trying to get comfortable with the idea of being a vegetarian

Those stories are reality. They completely fucked biodiversity. It's criminal, for profit and zombifying shit.Makes me sad because it is basically turning us into abstract cannibals when it comes to stewardship of food supply economics.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I believe it. Sad that Obama gave the corporation responsible for a lot of that shit a free pass. Meanwhile, I am trying to stop us grilling brats

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I'm with u as far as vegetarianism goes. Only beef I eat is family raised for the most part. I need to find a reasonable supply for chicken. I got freaked out by 2lb breasts the other day. Pork is cool because they are perfect for human consumption as far as ranching goes, but who knows what big farms have done to fuck Tharp too. Beans and qinuoa is pretty safe way to go...

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe it. Sad that Obama gave the corporation responsible for a lot of that shit a free pass. Meanwhile, I am trying to stop us grilling brats
We've replaced beef with chicken. I don't think I could go all summer without brats. Was going to start the garden today but it's fucking raining again.

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I should get my Etesia Biocut ME53C thursday or friday. I've been itching for a legit mulcher mower that actually works, and I have been holding off for a decent electric, but I really don't like the stuff that is on the market. I bought an extra blade too, because, unfortunately, nobody sells etesia's locally, and they are hard to find as is in the US.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I want to start. Which is probably soon, after I move (hopefully in the next several weeks or so). I have some really good connections into the hydroponics area in terms of equipment supply, knowledge etc...so I might go that route too, in addition to traditional gardening. Cooking is a huge hobby for me, so growing my own produce seems like a pretty logical next step for me. Better produce quality, save some money, likely healthier than commercially produced etc etc.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I want to start. Which is probably soon, after I move (hopefully in the next several weeks or so). I have some really good connections into the hydroponics area in terms of equipment supply, knowledge etc...so I might go that route too, in addition to traditional gardening. Cooking is a huge hobby for me, so growing my own produce seems like a pretty logical next step for me. Better produce quality, save some money, likely healthier than commercially produced etc etc.

Your drug dealer...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Not sure what your experience level is on the subject -- but if you're completely new to the process - I'd suggest going to a greenhouse and just asking for advice. Also buy your maturing plants there. Starting from seeds isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, but takes a long time and can be depressing when seeds don't take. Typically maturing plants are sold in threes and not terribly difficult (between $.50-$1.25/piece -- around here anyway). Also use the google to figure out how much water the plants need and how far they need to be spaced apart.

And take pictures and share them, b/c that's kick ass.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

I'd stick with a soil, aged compost, or peat based medium...growing in water is an acquired skill requiring more time and expensive bottled nutrients. And if you fuck up the flush(a must with hydroponics), your tomatoes will taste like the nutrients you have been feeding them.

Happy growing!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anybody got tips for cucumbers? My bushes look fucked after there weeks. Everything else looks awesome. Weird....

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anybody got tips for cucumbers? My bushes look fucked after there weeks. Everything else looks awesome. Weird....

A lot of my family members have grown cuc's w/ good success, but I don't care for them and haven't ever planted any. Sorry bro. :(

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

They grow like weeds, and that's pretty normal and healthy. I'm not growing them this year, but when I do, I twine-up points to a garden fence once they reach a good height. Like any "vine-like" fruiting, just give the twine enough slack so the flowering isn't harmed.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A lot of my family members have grown cuc's w/ good success, but I don't care for them and haven't ever planted any. Sorry bro. :(

I think they got a fungus. Gonna scrap them tomorow and start over. Hoping for a years worth of pickles outta this harvest but the plants look sickly.

oh well, at least I stopped rabbit vs cabbage 2013 with great success.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think they got a fungus. Gonna scrap them tomorow and start over. Hoping for a years worth of pickles outta this harvest but the plants look sickly.

oh well, at least I stopped rabbit vs cabbage 2013 with great success.

My dad says you put milk jugs over them...keep them warm.