GB trades up for Love

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tommy Waddles just made a good point.

You're team that went 13-3. They were one game from the superbowl, and in that final game it was apparent how much help Aaron needed. Pass protection and receiver wise.

Packers went out and made a move that a team doesn't make if they are on the brink of a championship.

Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams... all second rounders. If they want to get Rodgers weapons, they still can.

That is part of the problem with 3 days of draft, armchair reactions after day 1

Rocksteady

Night Elf
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldnt get our hopes up if thats what we're thinking with this pick. GB got a new coach, a cast of players which none you can point to as being a real star player. Despite the perception of regression, they still went deep into the playoffs.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Here's a way to look at this move.

Pack is 13-3. For them to look past their 36 years old starter and into the future of QB you guys are coming down hard on them.

Bears were worse at 8-8 and have two far younger QBs, but if they somehow moved up for Love you'd probably be applauding the move.

Let's try to be objective here. The same people bashing this move probably bashed them drafting Rodgers when Favre was their locked in starter.

Not to mention Rodgers not being 2011 Rodgers is the main reason we've even had a chance these last couple years

People like to act like because of the way these guys are wired that they don't need motivation

When the Patriots took Jimmy G, we got pissed off Tom Brady and a five year stretch that may have been the best of his career

As a Bears fan, that's the part that scares me more than any late first round pick at TE or WR right now that could have helped them out now

I remember 2011 Rodgers and we certainly don't want the Bears to have to deal with that guy ever again

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, thats just it.

They are in a win now window.

Drafting a WR helps them day 1.

Drafting Love does nothing for them for 2 years.

Yes, he might become amazing, but it does nothing to help their current team.

The majority of NFL teams in the playoffs last year had a rookie WR starting for them.

Literally the only one it didn't work out for is the eagles. lol

The whole concept of the win now window is mostly Special person. Especially with teams that go to the playoffs most years. Bad teams organize their drafts around immediate impact, have to win this year desperation.

Besides, you spent the last 2 years defending the shittest QB in the NFCN

Literally nobody cares what you think about draft prospects or team building strategy

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not to mention Rodgers not being 2011 Rodgers is the main reason we've even had a chance these last couple years

People like to act like because of the way these guys are wired that they don't need motivation

When the Patriots took Jimmy G, we got pissed off Tom Brady and a five year stretch that may have been the best of his career

As a Bears fan, that's the part that scares me more than any late first round pick at TE or WR right now that could have helped them out now

I remember 2011 Rodgers and we certainly don't want the Bears to have to deal with that guy ever again

There may be something to this but Jimmy G was a second round pick, and the team didn't move up to take him. Brady was about the same age as Rodgers is now but Rodgers has had a consistent problem with injuries over the last four years while Brady had one season where he didn't start every game after taking over in 2001. You could be right about Rodgers, he could play lights out but he still has to do that behind a suspect line. Brady had the good fortune of playing behind consistent blocking and decent receiving. I'm not sure that Green Bay will fix that problem.

Personally, I think this is a good move on Green Bay's part. Rodgers is going to be 37 going into this season. Even if he plays another five years, which is possible, his history of minor and at times major injuries has to be a concern for the team going forward. If Green Bay is a potential contender, which I am not sure they are, they will probably need someone that can at least keep them competitive when Aaron Rodgers gets dinged up. I know there are some great QBs that can play a full season but a good deal of the time a competitive team without a decent backup is one hit away from becoming a mid level draft pick. Rodgers may be looking at his replacement but I think that will be only when he decides to retire, or if he is hurt so bad that he is forced to leave Green Bay.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Rodgers is going to break into halves courtesy of Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Goldman, Smith, Robertson-Harris & company. Love will not have a chance after watching it.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Rodgers is going to break into halves courtesy of Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Goldman, Smith, Robertson-Harris & company. Love will not have a chance after watching it.

fairly certain this doesn't happen. it really doesn't matter which quarterback plays for the Bears, they invent new ways each season to lose against the green and gold shitbags. I have zero excitement for that so-called "rivalry". I'm plenty happy to say I'm wrong later though, or like, eat crow, or whatever dumbfuck phrase people here use for that sort of thing.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
fairly certain this doesn't happen. it really doesn't matter which quarterback plays for the Bears, they invent new ways each season to lose against the green and gold shitbags. I have zero excitement for that so-called "rivalry". I'm plenty happy to say I'm wrong later though, or like, eat crow, or whatever dumbfuck phrase people here use for that sort of thing.
sorry bro i don't do that..but i do believe aaron will have to throw the ball away a lot more this season at this rate as far as packers are drafting this year...it's like they are toying the hell out of Aaron.
hopefully packers whiff on defense today also.
Dillon is a nice pick up for them tho..they got their own montgomery.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I watched Jordan Love in their bowl game and he couldn't even beat Kent State. And that was with wide open receivers on every play.

Green Bay is hoping that he can sit for 2-3 years rewrite history like they did with Rodgers. The problem is this guy was not the prospect Rodgers was coming out of college.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
There may be something to this but Jimmy G was a second round pick, and the team didn't move up to take him. Brady was about the same age as Rodgers is now but Rodgers has had a consistent problem with injuries over the last four years while Brady had one season where he didn't start every game after taking over in 2001. You could be right about Rodgers, he could play lights out but he still has to do that behind a suspect line. Brady had the good fortune of playing behind consistent blocking and decent receiving. I'm not sure that Green Bay will fix that problem.

Personally, I think this is a good move on Green Bay's part. Rodgers is going to be 37 going into this season. Even if he plays another five years, which is possible, his history of minor and at times major injuries has to be a concern for the team going forward. If Green Bay is a potential contender, which I am not sure they are, they will probably need someone that can at least keep them competitive when Aaron Rodgers gets dinged up. I know there are some great QBs that can play a full season but a good deal of the time a competitive team without a decent backup is one hit away from becoming a mid level draft pick. Rodgers may be looking at his replacement but I think that will be only when he decides to retire, or if he is hurt so bad that he is forced to leave Green Bay.

What's the difference between a 2nd round pick and a late first you have to trade up for slightly if you think that guy is your next franchise QB for decade?

They've been willing to look past HOF guys at the position like Favre and Rodgers. We haven't been able to look past guys like grossman and cutler

That's the kind of long term thinking at the most important position in football the Bears have never had. And we'll never consistently compete with the Packers until we do.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's the difference between a 2nd round pick and a late first you have to trade up for slightly if you think that guy is your next franchise QB for decade?

They've been willing to look past HOF guys at the position like Favre and Rodgers. We haven't been able to look past guys like grossman and cutler

That's the kind of long term thinking at the most important position in football the Bears have never had. And we'll never consistently compete with the Packers until we do.

I'm not sure Love is going to the QB of the future for Green Bay. What he does do is give the team some flexibility in the quite likely event that Aaron Rodgers gets hurt. Aaron Rodgers is a generational talent, one of the few QBs that not only succeeded at the highest level but excelled at the position.

The fact is that Green Bay getting two generational QBs back to back is more blind dumb luck than anything else. The leadership that brought in Favre was not the same leadership that brought in Rodgers and it isn't the same leadership that brought in Love. Letting him develop will certainly help him to improve but if Aaron Rodgers sticks around through 2023 then the Packers will have a major decision to make. And hitting the lotto three times in a row is a very unlikely thing. Green Bay knows that.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Athletic reported that the Packers beat guy thinks LaFleur is sick of Rodgers bitching, and that's why they drafted Love. From Rotoworld:

The Athletic's Bob McGinn believes Packers coach Matt LaFleur has "simply had enough of (Aaron) Rodgers’ act and wanted to change the narrative" with the team's selection of Utah State QB Jordan Love.
McGinn, of course, is Mr. Packers, having covered the team for decades. It is important to emphasize this is merely his opinion, but it is notable nonetheless. In his own words, McGinn now believes the Packers have "leverage with their imperial quarterback and his passive-aggressive style." The Packers are not only thinking toward the future, but a more run-heavy one. This could get publicly ugly and bitter in a hurry, though there is still every reason to believe Rodgers will remain in Titletown for 2020.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 28, 2020, 1:38 PM ET

msadows

Liked Posts:
The Athletic reported that the Packers beat guy thinks LaFleur is sick of Rodgers bitching, and that's why they drafted Love. From Rotoworld:

The Athletic's Bob McGinn believes Packers coach Matt LaFleur has "simply had enough of (Aaron) Rodgers’ act and wanted to change the narrative" with the team's selection of Utah State QB Jordan Love.
McGinn, of course, is Mr. Packers, having covered the team for decades. It is important to emphasize this is merely his opinion, but it is notable nonetheless. In his own words, McGinn now believes the Packers have "leverage with their imperial quarterback and his passive-aggressive style." The Packers are not only thinking toward the future, but a more run-heavy one. This could get publicly ugly and bitter in a hurry, though there is still every reason to believe Rodgers will remain in Titletown for 2020.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 28, 2020, 1:38 PM ET

100% believe this.

Rodgers has slightly declined the last couple years but he's still been a top 5 QB in the NFL.

No reason to plan for his replacement when he shows no reason to replace him for the next 4 years as far as physical talent goes. In todays nfl the great ones play till 40