CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

PREVIEW: Blackhawks Face Rangers to Open Weekend Back-to-Back

Blackhawks meet Rangers for first time this season​

by Carter Baum@CarterBaum/ Blackhawks.com

cut.png

TIME: 7 p.m. CT
TV: NBCSCH+ | RADIO: WGN 720 AM | STREAM: MyTeamsApp (In Market) & ESPN+ (Out of Market)
The Blackhawks open a weekend back-to-back on Saturday night in New York with their first meeting of the year against the Rangers.

TEAM RECORDS
  • CHI: 8-12-2, 18 PTS
  • NYR: 15-4-3, 33 PTS

HOW TO WATCH

Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk have you covered on NBC Sports Chicago with pregame coverage beginning at 6:30, while John Wiedeman and Nick Olczyk have the radio broadcast of tonight's game on WGN Radio.

VS. NEW YORK

Chicago makes their first trip to Madison Square Garden since Jan. 17, 2019 when the Rangers defeated the Blackhawks 4-3. These Original Six franchises first played on November 30, 1926.
Alex DeBrincat has a point (3G, 2A) in four of five games against the Rangers over the course of his career. Patrick Kane has notched points (2G, 4A) in five consecutive skates vs. New York. Connor Murphy's dad, Gord, is an assistant coach with the Rangers.

FLOWER POWER

Marc-Andre Fleury won his second-straight game on Thursday against the Capitals, making him just two wins shy of 500 career wins. He would be just the third goaltender in NHL history to accomplish the feat, joining Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy. Fleury registered his first shutout of the year and 68th of his career after stopping all 40 Canucks' shots on Nov. 21.

COOL CAT

Alex DeBrincat scored his 13th goal of the season on Thursday against Washington. His 13 markers share eighth in the league and he has eight goals in his last 11 games.
He recorded his second overtime goal of the year on Nov. 26 against the Blues. Since the 2018-19 season, the Farmington Hills, Michigan native paces the NHL with seven goals in overtime.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hopefully the Hawks bring what they did versus Washington, NY will be another strong test for this team.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Subban is getting drilled

I’m not buying either the Wild or the Av’s right now. It looks like the league has figured them both out.

A lot of crying on Twitter about Kane’s goal. Plz, look up the rules

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Someone please tell me what the infatuation with Gus is? Plus the defensive pairing of Mitchell and Dehaan is atrocious.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Subban is getting drilled

I’m not buying either the Wild or the Av’s right now. It looks like the league has figured them both out.

A lot of crying on Twitter about Kane’s goal. Plz, look up the rules
You think McKinnon-Rantenen-Landesgog and Maker-Toews-Byram can be figured out?

Ok douche bag. Whatever you say must be true.

The Avs lost alot of forward depth but I expect after trade deadline and addition of a more durable goalie they would be dangerous.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Dehaan and Borgstrom playing hot potato with the puck, turning it over like Justin Fields!

Rest of the group beyond the usuals can't finish

BRUTAL!!!!!

KBIB

Liked Posts:
You think McKinnon-Rantenen-Landesgog and Maker-Toews-Byram can be figured out?

Ok douche bag. Whatever you say must be true.

The Avs lost alot of forward depth but I expect after trade deadline and addition of a more durable goalie they would be dangerous.
WheYeah, they’re figured out.

They’re a one line team. That one line is dynamic but when you are relying on a halfwit like Kadri for secondary scoring you have a problem.

Last year was their year. They had solid depth. This year not so much on top of mediocre goaltending. They won’t go past the second round unless they make a massive upgrade and I doubt Sakic pulls the trigger at what the asking price will be (Byram), and considering the Hawks will have the best goalie available that’s what I would be asking for in return or I’ll just hold onto him for the rest of the year and tell them good luck.

And as great as Makar is, he does get lost in his own end a lot. The teams that are going to be scary in the West are the Blues and Flames because their playoff tweak’s will be minor. I’m not even buying in on the Oilers or the Leafs just yet.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WheYeah, they’re figured out.

They’re a one line team. That one line is dynamic but when you are relying on a halfwit like Kadri for secondary scoring you have a problem.

Last year was their year. They had solid depth. This year not so much on top of mediocre goaltending. They won’t go past the second round unless they make a massive upgrade and I doubt Sakic pulls the trigger at what the asking price will be (Byram), and considering the Hawks will have the best goalie available that’s what I would be asking for in return or I’ll just hold onto him for the rest of the year and tell them good luck.

And as great as Makar is, he does get lost in his own end a lot. The teams that are going to be scary in the West are the Blues and Flames because their playoff tweak’s will be minor. I’m not even buying in on the Oilers or the Leafs just yet.
I agree Kuemper is never healthy and their weak back-up plan predictably blowing up in their face.

Their defense didn't mature with their goalie timing and they are re-setting, but I think a strong squad will emerge at an all-in trade deadline.

We don't have to be rigid about the price and stuck on our Byram mistake as they have 3 or 4 other young defenseman who could instantly upgrade us.

If we want Bryam I would think the price would be Cat/Lankinen or Dach/Fleury and the only way I would say yes to either would be Cat/Fleury/Dach for Makar.

Then again are there minutes for Jones/Makar when they might have to be on two different pairings? And they probably laugh at that trade anyway.

The Hawks aren't interesting enough to do much more than focus on 2027. Lol. I think we both agree on that.

I just think the Avs are salvageable, but you could be right that it won't get done in the hands they are in.

Fleury would make a couple different wannabees into legit contenders overnight but I think we only get like a mediocre former 1st rd pick(to trade) and some future picks.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I agree Kuemper is never healthy and their weak back-up plan predictably blowing up in their face.

Their defense didn't mature with their goalie timing and they are re-setting, but I think a strong squad will emerge at an all-in trade deadline.

We don't have to be rigid about the price and stuck on our Byram mistake as they have 3 or 4 other young defenseman who could instantly upgrade us.

If we want Bryam I would think the price would be Cat/Lankinen or Dach/Fleury and the only way I would say yes to either would be Cat/Fleury/Dach for Makar.

Then again are there minutes for Jones/Makar when they might have to be on two different pairings? And they probably laugh at that trade anyway.

The Hawks aren't interesting enough to do much more than focus on 2027. Lol. I think we both agree on that.

I just think the Avs are salvageable, but you could be right that it won't get done in the hands they are in.

Fleury would make a couple different wannabees into legit contenders overnight but I think we only get like a mediocre former 1st rd pick(to trade) and some future picks.
Honestly, if it took Dach to get Byram I’d throw him in at this point. Centering Kane and Cat with nothing to show for it isn’t a good look at all. And if they took him third overall to be an Anisimov replacement, sorry Hawks fans, which is what he’s looking like, that’s a wasted pick and Kelly needs to go when a top pairing guy and the bpa was still on the board.

Isn’t this what any GM is taught? You take the best player available or you trade out of that pick? The Preds GM had Josi , Ellis, Eckholm and Weber and still sprinted to the draft podium to take Jones.

Blowman has put this org back about five years

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This team needs stuff.

Cat-Strome-Kane
Hagel-Toews-Kubalik
Borgstrom/Reichel-Dach-Nylander

Is the direction I would lean. Giving Dach some line play and special teams, keep his minutes top 6 while catering to his most valuable roles.

Maybe

Cat-Toews-Hagel
Kubalik-Borgstrom-Kane
-Dach-

Is worth a look.

Or fuck...

Dach-Toews-Kubalik/Cat
Kubalik/Cat-Borg/Strome-Kane

They need to be scoring more however they do it.

Johnsons season really restricts flexibility in this lineup. So Dach-Toews together is worth a look, as you can at least shut down an opponents scoring line and their skill sets really would mesh well. Kubalik or Cat would be great options with them, I think giving them Hagel and putting all three on a third line might be reality but there is no way to justify that expense on a defensive third checking line. Lol.

Last edited:

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Someone please tell me what the infatuation with Gus is? Plus the defensive pairing of Mitchell and Dehaan is atrocious.
Their isn't much choice. No other pp defensmen for the 2nd unit yet. You got Stillman and Murphy out and for some reason McCabe was scratched over DeHaan. As for Mitchell and DeHaan ?.DeHaan is just brutal, can't keep up and get tired of hearing Edzo say what a great shot blocker he is. He has no choice he cant get to the corner fast enough or gives the puck away which results in a shot attempt and makes him pad his blocked shots stats. LOL. As for Mitchell Kulynak and Caleb Jones, I think they;ve played well, Mitchell is bailing out DeHaan and it should be the other way around. Kulynak is just a regular nothing more but at leaststeady. Caleb Jones is looking stronger and stronger every game and fun to watch when he is paired with his Older Brother. Stillman comes back tonight and hopefully scratch DeHaan but im not holding my breath on sitting the 4mill dman. Just can't wait till march and the deadline to see DeHaan gone.

Bust

Liked Posts:
2-1 game and Kubalik barely grazes the outside post on a grade A chance. 2021 Blackhawks need the 30 goal scorer Kubalik of 2 seasons past. To have 4 for him at this time is just brutal!

Dach needs to become a point producer at the NHL level. He plays a good 2 way game but when a 3rd overall has just 9 points to the season <he got heavy minutes with Kane / Cat> at the outset is just Epic Fail!!!

Toe's with zero goals and it's December, ugh

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stillman comes back tonight and hopefully scratch DeHaan but im not holding my breath on sitting the 4mill dman. Just can't wait till march and the deadline to see DeHaan gone.

Any word on McCabe for tonight?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
5 goals for Adam, not bad, our captain doesn’t even have 1. Not that I cared if he stayed or was traded, its another player who leaves the Hawks and accelerates playing in a different system. The Hawks cannot as a team develop players, it does not matter who this team drafts, there is a 75% chance the player will fail. Dach is starting to look like another one of those players. With his frame, size and strength he should be dominating in this league. Driving the net, enforcing his will on opposing defenders, overpowering defencemen and we just aren’t seeing it. I have been watching this kid and his development is just lacking on all fronts.
Hopefully a new GM can change that as well, draft and develop there players and not trade them off to see them excel on another team before we can see there true worth.