CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

PREVIEW: Blackhawks Looks to Stop Red-Hot Rangers at Home

Original Six foes meet for second time in four days Tuesday night in Chicago​

Carter Baum@CarterBaum/ Blackhawks.com
cut.png

TIME: 7:30 p.m. CT
TV: NBCSCH | RADIO: WGN 720 AM | STREAM: MyTeamsApp (In Market) & ESPN+ (Out of Market)

The Blackhawks return home to face the New York Rangers for the second time in four days on Tuesday night, looking to snap a six-game winning streak the visitors bring to the United Center.
Starting in net to make his 900th NHL appearance, Marc-Andre Fleury is also looking to reach a career milestone only two other NHL netminders have ever achieved as he enters the night with 499 career wins.

TEAM RECORDS
  • CHI: 9-13-2, 20 PTS
  • NYR: 16-4-3, 35 PTS

HOW TO WATCH

Can't make it out to the United Center? Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk have you covered for all the action on NBC Sports Chicago with pregame coverage beginning at 7 p.m., while John Wiedeman and Nick Olczyk have the radio broadcast of tonight's game on WGN Radio.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, NEW YORK

The Blackhawks and Rangers meet for second time in four nights on Tuesday, completing their entire season slate in the stretch. It's the third time in four days that Chicago has faced a New York team, sandwiching a meeting with the Islanders between the two on Sunday evening.
The Rangers took a 3-2 win on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden behind a three-point night from Artemi Panarin (1G, 2A) with two-point contributions from Ryan Strome (1G, 1A) and Adam Fox (1G, 1A). Patrick Kane (1G, 1A) and Seth Jones (2A) led the way offensively for the Blackhawks on the night.
Alex DeBrincat notched a goal as well and now has points (4G, 2A) in five of six career games against the Rangers. Kane's two-point night extended his point streak (3G, 5A) to six straight games against New York. Jones has points in three straight (1G, 3A) games against the Rangers as well.

CUSP OF HISTORY

Marc-Andre Fleury is one win away from 500 in his careed and one appearance from 900 games after backstopping the Blackhawks to a victory on Sunday night against the Islanders. Fleury would become the third goaltender in NHL history to record 500 wins and is on pace to hit the milestone in fewer games than both Martin Brodeur (500-273-120 in 908 GP) and Patrick Roy (500-287-114 in 933 GP).
Dating back to November 9 (eight appearances), Fleury is 6-2-0 and is fourth in the NHL with a .944 save percentage and shares fifth with a 1.71 goals-against average (min. 5 appearances).

BLUE LINE STALWART

Seth Jones extended his point streak (1G, 4A) to three games after tallying an assist and skating in a game-high 28:45 of ice time on Sunday evening against the Islanders. He has skated in 28 or more minutes in each of his last five games, appearing in over 29 minutes in three of those contests. He's averaging a career-high 26:10 of ice time per game this season. The last time a Blackhawks defenseman averaged over 26:00 of ice time came during the 2011-12 campaign when Duncan Keith averaged 26:54 per game.
Jones is third among league blueliners in assists, shares fifth in points and shares third among all skaters in ice time.

FIRST-GOAL HAGEL

Brandon Hagel scored his fifth game-opening goal of 2021-22 -- the most of any player this season -- on Sunday against the Islanders.
Through 21 games this season, his eight tallies are one off his total from last season when he played in 52 games. He notched a career-long three-game goal streak (3G) from Nov. 21-26, matching Alex DeBrincat's team mark for longest goal streak this season (Nov. 12-20).

KING ME

Since Derek King took over as interim head coach on November. 6, the Blackhawks are 8-4-0, a win total that shares 11th most in the league over that stretch despite playing in a near league-low number of games (12 games, T-29th).
The team's 2.33 goals-against average during that time period is fifth in the league.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dach heard us talking about him ?

Bust

Liked Posts:
One of the best periods all year vs a cup contender at that.

Hawks had a ton of grade A chances. It should be least 3-1 EZ but these mofo's can't finish . . .

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was on my break and missed the fight.
How did it go?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How did it go?
Stillman looked like Gary Coleman taking on Kenny Norton.

Props for stepping up and showing he's got Clockweights like Debrincat, but lost handily.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
25 games in.....the Hawks have scored 2 goals or less in regulation 19 times by my count.

Change your coach, change your lines, bench this guy, bring up another schmuck.....it don't matter, folks.

Instead of biting to bullet and continuing to rebuild....they decided to try to backdoor into the playoffs...yet, another fail.

This sad attempt at becoming relevant again is gonna cost them both in both time and money,...and fans.

I think I'd be happier if they were a very bad but young team with a future....now they mediocre and not young.

But the worse thing is that they can't score and have become frustratingly boring.

Granada

Liked Posts:
How did it go?

Stillman got rolled, but good on him. I fucking knew Trouba would end up hurting someone last night, with the way he was running around MSG last game. Still, good on Stillman there for doing something absolutely no other Hawk wanted to do. Props for Carpenter too.

I don't know what to make about the Trouba hit. The head was the principal point of contact, but it was all shoulder. I would not be surprised if the league thinks it's clean, and in a way, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, as unfortunate as it was.

I did not like the lines last night. Kane with Toews doesn't really work anymore because they can't cycle due to Toews' decreased speed; Kane tried too, but it just didn't work and it was easily broken up. I hate to say it, but Toews has become a weak link and can't be relied upon offensively anymore. The Hawks have been trying to pair him with someone who can "jump start" him for about 5 years now, if not more. Even before he was an entire year removed from hockey, he was declining. Panarin couldn't jump start him, Saad couldn't do it, Kubalik can't do it, Kane can't do it anymore, etc.

Kubalik was a ghost. Mitchell, Stillman, and Kalynuk looked bad. De Haan had a decent game, but his turnover that resulted in the Rangers' first PP goal was unforgivable.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Shaws got some balls on him to blast that on social media. Good for him. JarJar is beloved thru out the league and is a good guy.

Meanwhile the Hawks just did a drive wipe on a ton of players going back down. It’s best to say Ian Mitchell is a bust. The main reason we traded Joker, a proven NHL defenseman, for another Bust in Nylander who can’t crack the NHL, is a total bust.

The Hawks skills at evaluating talent need to change. If you aren’t using the draft to take the bpa with your picks and are going off the board with a reach, in the nhl you shouldn’t have a job. These kids need time to develop. If you are taking a project, projects take time.

Dach shouldn’t have been rushed. Same with Bustvist who was not only rushed but out with Keith on the top pairing of fail.

I recall Mitchell paired with Keith and Mitchell looking solid. I wonder if DK told him “don’t listen to them, listen to me a two time Norris, three time Cup and one of the greatest Cup Run performances of all time”.

I also recall DK taking Joker under his wing and always talking to him. Funny he’s an NHLer and Colonton, the guy who had a hand in shipping him out, isnt

Granada

Liked Posts:
Shaws got some balls on him to blast that on social media. Good for him. JarJar is beloved thru out the league and is a good guy.

Meanwhile the Hawks just did a drive wipe on a ton of players going back down. It’s best to say Ian Mitchell is a bust. The main reason we traded Joker, a proven NHL defenseman, for another Bust in Nylander who can’t crack the NHL, is a total bust.

The Hawks skills at evaluating talent need to change. If you aren’t using the draft to take the bpa with your picks and are going off the board with a reach, in the nhl you shouldn’t have a job. These kids need time to develop. If you are taking a project, projects take time.

Dach shouldn’t have been rushed. Same with Bustvist who was not only rushed but out with Keith on the top pairing of fail.

I recall Mitchell paired with Keith and Mitchell looking solid. I wonder if DK told him “don’t listen to them, listen to me a two time Norris, three time Cup and one of the greatest Cup Run performances of all time”.

I also recall DK taking Joker under his wing and always talking to him. Funny he’s an NHLer and Colonton, the guy who had a hand in shipping him out, isnt

I don't know what happened to Mitchell. There was a point where he looked rock solid early, but yeah, I agree he is probably a bust. You can say this about so many Hawk players. I remember Oesterle looked great when he was first called up, only to fizzle out. Now I'm worried that Kurashev is a bust too.

It seems like every young player goes through the same routine, at least on the Hawks. They look fairly solid, if not outright stellar, out of the gate (rookie adrenaline?); then they come back to earth, most times, in an abrupt way, for a prolonged period of time. The key is to find a way out of that first funk -- if you can do that, you're fine, but for whatever reason, it's hard for young players to find their way out of those funks on this particular team. Debrincat did it. Lankinen and Dach are still trying to do it. Kurashev and Mitchell may be past the point of no return, at least on this team.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:

Joker is proven, but not in a good way. Like -30 for his career