George Pickens, WR, Georgia

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as I have always advocated building a team from the trenches out through the draft, now that they have their Franchise QB and limited picks, I would prefer the Bears draft a couple of “luxury” WR’s to start building a report with Fields. You can find FA rentals to plug the other holes for now. This team isn’t going anywhere next year or 2 anyways.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My bet is they cut Foles, he signs with another team, THEN Pace trades that 2nd to reacquire Foles.

And before someone has a smart ass comment, of course Pace will renegotiate the Foles contract after he trades for him. you know, a big guaranteed money boost. Typical when acquiring a young, talented QB.
You seem to have your predictions a bit off.

Why would Pace have cut Foles (if he were still GM) when Foles was the #1 3rd string QB in the NFL?

Now to keep Foles as the 3rd string QB, he would need to bring in a 2nd string QB.

This of course would have been Pace's pièce de résistance by trading the Bears 2nd round pick to get Glennon from the Giants. He would then, of course have given Glennon a big guaranteed money and year boost. But that would have been obvious for Pace.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
As much as I have always advocated building a team from the trenches out through the draft, now that they have their Franchise QB and limited picks, I would prefer the Bears draft a couple of “luxury” WR’s to start building a report with Fields. You can find FA rentals to plug the other holes for now. This team isn’t going anywhere next year or 2 anyways.
I’d do the opposite. For once, I hope they prioritize the OL above everything else. Luxury WRs don’t mean anything if Fields has less than 2 seconds before he is put on his ass.

That said, I’ve always been a fan of Pickens and think he will be a very good WR. His problem has always been maturity issues. Penalties, losing his temper, etc.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I’d do the opposite. For once, I hope they prioritize the OL above everything else. Luxury WRs don’t mean anything if Fields has less than 2 seconds before he is put on his ass.

That said, I’ve always been a fan of Pickens and think he will be a very good WR. His problem has always been maturity issues. Penalties, losing his temper, etc.
I’ve got a revolutionary idea.

Address both! Fix the fucking offense.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You seem to have your predictions a bit off.

Why would Pace have cut Foles (if he were still GM) when Foles was the #1 3rd string QB in the NFL?

Now to keep Foles as the 3rd string QB, he would need to bring in a 2nd string QB.

This of course would have been Pace's pièce de résistance by trading the Bears 2nd round pick to get Glennon from the Giants. He would then, of course have given Glennon a big guaranteed money and year boost. But that would have been obvious for Pace.
QB is an important position, so platooning that is very important.

I say you do both. Here's the Bears 'path to success'
  1. hire Ryan Pace to be your GM - No brainer and with him being fired it's essential for him to continue making decisions for this roster.
  2. trade your 2nd for Glennon and give him a 4 year, all guaranteed extension
  3. cut Foles, see where he lands, then trade your 2023 2nd for him (let's be honest, they will try to get him for a 2nd, but they will end up giving up the 1st). Similar to Glennon, extend him, but only 3 years, fully guaranteed.
  4. Convert Justin Fields to RB
From there you can technically have all 3 QBs on the field at the same time. Glennon under center, Fields at RB and Foles out wide. Let's never forget:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
QB is an important position, so platooning that is very important.

I say you do both. Here's the Bears 'path to success'
  1. hire Ryan Pace to be your GM - No brainer and with him being fired it's essential for him to continue making decisions for this roster.
  2. trade your 2nd for Glennon and give him a 4 year, all guaranteed extension
  3. cut Foles, see where he lands, then trade your 2023 2nd for him (let's be honest, they will try to get him for a 2nd, but they will end up giving up the 1st). Similar to Glennon, extend him, but only 3 years, fully guaranteed.
  4. Convert Justin Fields to RB
From there you can technically have all 3 QBs on the field at the same time. Glennon under center, Fields at RB and Foles out wide. Let's never forget:

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Love your plan. It seems so obvious to me now. I am ashamed that I didn't mention it myself.

I would tweak it just a bit.

I would give Pace a 10 year contract. This is so that he is around for the 10 year rebuild.

I would extend Glennon to at least a 10 year contract to match Pace. You cannot restrict Pace by having him worry about replacing Glennon too soon. Also with a 10 year contract, you will get a bargain price for Glennon starting in the 8th season. Smart!

By the way, the Bears can rehire Nagy as the in-game consultant for goal line 2 or 3 QB situations as his play Willy Wonka proved his worth.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

At first I thought that too, but then felt it was a weak argument. There’s also practice, training camp and off-season programs. That’s when the rapport is built. (See Mooney)
Everyone said Burrow needed a left tackle this draft because his Oline was putrid and got him injured. Instead Cincy doubled down and got his favorite target from college instead. Now they just won their first playoff game and his rookie WR put up over 100yds in his first playoff game. (Think they do that with a new LT instead of Chase?)
Since they won’t be able to get either of Fields’ favorite WR’s in this draft, he will need more time to build that relationship. I would prefer that happen (along with giving the Organization a better chance to evaluate him) than us waiting until year 3 or 4 before even beginning to surround Fields with talent. (I don’t want a 1 and some scrubs… The goal is Dallas level talent.)

I also don’t want to watch Fields eating coverage sacks because his WR’s can’t get open.
Protect him with scheme and give him guys that can get open. He’ll do the rest.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
At first I thought that too, but then felt it was a weak argument. There’s also practice, training camp and off-season programs. That’s when the rapport is built. (See Mooney)
Everyone said Burrow needed a left tackle this draft because his Oline was putrid and got him injured. Instead Cincy doubled down and got his favorite target from college instead. Now they just won their first playoff game and his rookie WR put up over 100yds in his first playoff game. (Think they do that with a new LT instead of Chase?)
Since they won’t be able to get either of Fields’ favorite WR’s in this draft, he will need more time to build that relationship. I would prefer that happen (along with giving the Organization a better chance to evaluate him) than us waiting until year 3 or 4 before even beginning to surround Fields with talent. (I don’t want a 1 and some scrubs… The goal is Dallas level talent.)

I also don’t want to watch Fields eating coverage sacks because his WR’s can’t get open.
Protect him with scheme and give him guys that can get open. He’ll do the rest.
You make good points, but Cincy was able to grab Chase high 1st. Bears don’t have that luxury. If the Bears had a high 1st pick, and it was between say Kenyon Green and Garrett Wilson, I’m not so sure I would take Wilson.

They haven’t had a good OL for years. Emphasize the strengths you do have, like Monty and Fields liking to take the deep shot or use his legs, which a strong OL will help.

That said, I wouldn’t mind Pickens in the 2nd at all. I think he’s going to be a very good WR.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You make good points, but Cincy was able to grab Chase high 1st. Bears don’t have that luxury. If the Bears had a high 1st pick, and it was between say Kenyon Green and Garrett Wilson, I’m not so sure I would take Wilson.

They haven’t had a good OL for years. Emphasize the strengths you do have, like Monty and Fields liking to take the deep shot or use his legs, which a strong OL will help.

That said, I wouldn’t mind Pickens in the 2nd at all. I think he’s going to be a very good WR.

I agree the Oline play has been suspect… but how much of that was scheme and predictable offense?
In terms of Chicago QB’s… Fields is basically a generational talent. I would be happy to draft Pickens to be our eventual #2 and take a #1 next year.

Since the early 2000’s, “you build from the lines out” has been my mantra… but Fields is different and I want this time to be different.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I agree the Oline play has been suspect… but how much of that was scheme and predictable offense?
In terms of Chicago QB’s… Fields is basically a generational talent. I would be happy to draft Pickens to be our eventual #2 and take a #1 next year.

Since the early 2000’s, “you build from the lines out” has been my mantra… but Fields is different and I want this time to be different.
Yeah, Fields has the athletic talent to cover up some of the issues with a bad to mediocre OL.

Pickens and an elite OLman in FA I could sure get behind.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Reminder - run to the podium if available at 39 overall.

Liked Posts:
The meatballs in this group will not want anyone that has ever had an injury in their lifetime.
After pre injured key players like Carimi, Tommie Harris, now Jenkins & plenty of others, can you really blame them.

Its not always all bad with some of the pre injured guys. The 2005/2006 Bears played some of most memorable football with Tommie Harris Ive ever seen in 35 years of watching this franchise.

At the same time with this franchise you just know that an injury is coming with the pre injured crowd.

When the injury bug does hit its almost always at the most inopportune times.

I would be fine with rolling the dice on this kid but more so only if Poles signs a standout WR in FA.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's not just injuries with Pickens. Dude wasn't consistent and seems to have emotional problems. His highlight reel is is great but lots of question imo about what's not in the highlight reel.

He's a high risk high reward player.