George Pickens, WR, Georgia

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Great adjustment by Pickens, but at the end of the day alot of his catches look "great" because he never has seperation and needs to make some spectacular adjustment to beat his defender. Lack of separation was always my #1 concern with him.
Loved Kevin White though...

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Loved Kevin White though...
Didn't "Love" Kevin White. I loved Brandon Marshall. More than I liked ARob. I thought it was a shame to move on from him.

On draft day I was hoping for a miracke that Amari Cooper would drop. But Kevin White was the consensus #2 WR prospect and consensus pick considering need and who was available. I was on board with it, sure. Who wasn't?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am glad Pickens has finally surpassed ST Brown's production this year albeit with 1 extra game in hand.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I am glad Pickens has finally surpassed ST Brown's production this year albeit with 1 extra game in hand.
No TD though, and five more targets.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think anyone ever questioned Pickens' football acumen. Not why he slid or got passed over by the Bear. He's who I had penciled in before the draft but was fully aware why he might be there or why we may get passed over. The reason he hasn't been more productive is Mitch. He's not a separation guy as much as win the catch guy but you need to be able to place a ball better than Mitch is able for that.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
3 catches for 39 yards (one was 36 yards) is what some want to lament over/play revisionist historian over on draft day like Poles missed out on some generational talent?

I don’t understand armchair gms.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone ever questioned Pickens' football acumen. Not why he slid or got passed over by the Bear. He's who I had penciled in before the draft but was fully aware why he might be there and why we may go elsewhere. The reason he hasn't been more productive is Mitch. He's not a separation guy as much as win the catch guy but you need to be able to place a ball better than Mitch is able for that.

He would have the same problem here with Fields who doesn't throw with anticipation and hasn't seemed to figure out that NFL open windows are much smaller than college.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
3 catches for 39 yards (one was 36 yards) is what some want to lament over/play revisionist historian over on draft day like Poles missed out on some generational talent?

I don’t understand armchair gms.

He's still a rookie and as pointed out this is with Trubisky as the QB. Just like you can't really judge a QB with no weapons you can't really judge the weapons with no QB.
It's almost as if it's a team game and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He would have the same problem here with Fields who doesn't throw with anticipation and hasn't seemed to figure out that NFL open windows are much smaller than college.
Perhaps not now but so what? I don’t not draft a guy because I’m projecting my #1 qb won’t ever make nfl throws.

Don’t get me wrong. I know why he wasn’t taken but it’s not that.

Reactions: Myk

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Yeah, after 12 career starts and 3 offensive coordinators -- 2 last year/1 this year

Perspective people

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pickens may have had the catch of the year (wow) but he also dropped a sure TD pass. He was completely out of position and mistimed the jump. (and almost got the ball picked).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Pickens may have had the catch of the year (wow) but he also dropped a sure TD pass. He was completely out of position and mistimed the jump. (and almost got the ball picked).
He dropped another easy pass as well. The catch was amazing, but it looked like he was out of position and thus it was a much more difficult catch than it needed to be.

Anyway, he is a very talented dude, that has never been the issue.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Perhaps not now but so what? I don’t not draft a guy because I’m projecting my #1 qb won’t ever make nfl throws.

Don’t get me wrong. I know why he wasn’t taken but it’s not that.

They want us in a catch-22, can't get talent on offense because we don't have a QB, can't train a QB because we don't have an offense.

People being hard on Pickens after 3 games in the NFL in a position that usually takes 2 years to really shine :speechless:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They want us in a catch-22, can't get talent on offense because we don't have a QB, can't train a QB because we don't have an offense.

People being hard on Pickens after 3 games in the NFL in a position that usually takes 2 years to really shine :speechless:
Mitch is throwing better but still not a great placement guy. On the right team, I think Pickens is already earning his keep. I never questioned his ability but he's also a guy that might question a scheme or routes etc if he doesn't care for them. Lets see how it goes if he continues to not get catchable balls. I think the Steelers can manage any, err, unrest but we'll see.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Mitch is throwing better but still not a great placement guy. On the right team, I think Pickens is already earning his keep. I never questioned his ability but he's also a guy that might question a scheme or routes etc if he doesn't care for them. Lets see how it goes if he continues to not get catchable balls. I think the Steelers can manage any, err, unrest but we'll see.

My only thing about Pickens is Poles' excuses. Best players available, neither has really done anything. There was a run on WRs, what else could he do? There's one that has shown early promise that we had 2 chances at.

It could still work out but so far it's not looking good for his decision making. (For the record I think the picks have Flus written all over them but the buck stops at Poles.)

Bust

Liked Posts:
Didn't "Love" Kevin White.

his stock rose based off ONE game vs Alabama when Kevin had a college best moment and got talked about.

sort of like Justin and his ONE game vs Clemson

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I didn’t like white at all.

White Only one year of production and he never seemed to be open on his highlights, the speed didn’t translate at all.

He also ran simple routes but that isn’t necessarily his fault.

I just didn’t know if he would be good or not. I think it should be pretty evident that early in draft and he didn’t really show much to be honesty

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only thing about Pickens is Poles' excuses. Best players available, neither has really done anything. There was a run on WRs, what else could he do? There's one that has shown early promise that we had 2 chances at.

It could still work out but so far it's not looking good for his decision making. (For the record I think the picks have Flus written all over them but the buck stops at Poles.)
What promise? I and others have expectations but what’s he shown ? 21yards per game? How many deep reads has Fields missed? What about this season would have us think that beside raw speculation ?

To be fair, I think Mitch is blowing it by not just lobbing some up Pickens’ way but we haven’t seen much so far.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
I didn’t like white at all.

White Only one year of production and he never seemed to be open on his highlights, the speed didn’t translate at all.

He also ran simple routes but that isn’t necessarily his fault.

I just didn’t know if he would be good or not. I think it should be pretty evident that early in draft and he didn’t really show much to be honesty

Dunno about that, He def didn't look 4.3 on tape but he def looked fast in college.

I had no issue with the kevin white pick but I knew it was boom or bust. Never thought he would bust because he was Mr. Glass, that one was a shocker.