Getsy likes Cement

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Getsy has been impressed with tight end Cole Kmet's versatility.

Since being selected in the second round of the 2020 draft out of Notre Dame, Kmet has played in all 33 games with 26 starts over two seasons, catching 88 passes for 855 yards and two TDs. He is also used extensively as a blocker.

"The flexibility as a player, I think he has all that stuff," Getsy said. "I'm excited to see him have a bunch of different roles in our offense. Some players that are out there, they're kind of like, 'This is what they do well.'
"But I think the more guys that you can get in a system that can do a bunch of different things, the more success you're going to have, and I think Cole is one of those guys."
Commentary from rotoworld.com on the above:
1652104926757.png

Thoughts on Kmet perhaps taking the next step in year 3 and becoming a valuable NFL player for Fields/the Bears?

Visionman

Liked Posts:

View attachment 19765

Thoughts on Kmet perhaps taking the next step in year 3 and becoming a valuable NFL player for Fields/the Bears?
My thoughts are Nagy had no clue how to properly use any player, Kmet included. And year 3 many TEs make a big jump in productivity. So there’s definitely a good chance.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
My thoughts are Nagy had no clue how to properly use any player, Kmet included. And year 3 many TEs make a big jump in productivity. So there’s definitely a good chance.
I would agree wholeheartedly that Nagy had no clue with anyone. But I have to balance that with the conviction that good players find ways to make plays when the ball is in their hands.

TEs are hard to find and I haven't given up that Kmet can become a good player. But I'm not holding my breath. There are two weapons on this offense that have earned their spot: Mooney and Montgomery. I'd put Kmet into a group of guys that have to visibly improve or they are cut next year.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I am hopeful that Getsy can scheme better matchups for Kmet as there didn't seem to be a lot of strategy from Nagy on this front. How we had Kmet and Graham on the roster and rarely saw a great package with our biggest WR and TE personnel down in the red zone to cause matchup issues is beyond me. Kmet's concerns for me has been his YAC and ball security concerns. He seemed to get a little better as the season rolled on but he seemed to go down a lot on first contact and I was always concerned about him putting the ball on the ground. If Getsy can get him into some better positions and unlock some more of his production, I think it will be a big gain.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would agree wholeheartedly that Nagy had no clue with anyone. But I have to balance that with the conviction that good players find ways to make plays when the ball is in their hands.

TEs are hard to find and I haven't given up that Kmet can become a good player. But I'm not holding my breath. There are two weapons on this offense that have earned their spot: Mooney and Montgomery. I'd put Kmet into a group of guys that have to visibly improve or they are cut next year.

It's put up or shut up time. Nice year 2 bump with some good moments and then some comically bad games(Cardinals). He was like this at ND, and then took off in year 3.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kmet has a TON of potential, I hope he evolves. He looks ripped right now, so hopefully they can scheme him into the game, target him, and his hands are good. He needs to play aggressive. He's too passive on the field. He needs to HIT not shrink from contact. He's BIG. Use that muscle and mass. Take out those little DBs. Fingers crossed.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
the problem with kmet is his inability to separate in man coverage...if your unable to separate consistently then he needs to be that guy that consistently makes the tough catch but he doesnt do that either...While i have no doubt nagy had no idea how to elevate his guys, kmet should have been able to win 1on1 matchups and wasnt able to so i hope hes worked on his craft but i dont expect a breakout from him...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Kmet has been wrongly criticized for what he isn't rather than valued for what he is.

Kmet is a very versatile Tight end that does a lot of things well to pretty good, but isn't great at any one thing.

He's not fast, but having a tight end that versatile can open up a lot of options in the hands of someone who recognizes those things and can properly utilize him. My guess is that Getsy realizes this, and is preparing him to be a major player as a blocker in the run game, as well as a chip-release dump off option in the passing game. I don't think Kmet will ever be a star, but I think he is going to be someone who greatly benefits when all the attention is being paid to the speed guys - he's the kind of option you don't hear from because he's doing the dirty work most of the game, and then all of a sudden hits you for 20 yards underneath on a critical play because people were sleeping on him to focus in other areas.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We should be high enough in 2023 to draft Mayer.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think Kmet has been wrongly criticized for what he isn't rather than valued for what he is.

Kmet is a very versatile Tight end that does a lot of things well to pretty good, but isn't great at any one thing.

He's not fast, but having a tight end that versatile can open up a lot of options in the hands of someone who recognizes those things and can properly utilize him. My guess is that Getsy realizes this, and is preparing him to be a major player as a blocker in the run game, as well as a chip-release dump off option in the passing game. I don't think Kmet will ever be a star, but I think he is going to be someone who greatly benefits when all the attention is being paid to the speed guys - he's the kind of option you don't hear from because he's doing the dirty work most of the game, and then all of a sudden hits you for 20 yards underneath on a critical play because people were sleeping on him to focus in other areas.

Without citing examples of how he is criticized I will say this - I and most folks criticize him for what HE IS and how he falls short of that. Essentially, for such a big, tough, bruising player he showed himself to be in his first year, last year he spent so much time trying to juke folks 50 lbs lighter than him instead of punishing them for tryna tackle him. He'd either fall down or create an angle to get rekt by a DB.

In his first season he ran right through people and there were many times after the catch he required multiple tacklers to bring him down, getting another 3-4 yards in the process.

What happened to that?

Why did he turn into such a wimp about contact in year two?

If he's going to be a weapon based off what he IS then he has to make up for that regression and build on what he did to opposing defensemen in his first season.

PS I know you have me on ignore or are doing a decent job of fake ignore, so I hope you take a moment to read a reply that is actually someone's own opinion and in stark contrast to the opinion you've plagiarized from twitter or reddit or some pencil neck dweeb's bears blog.

Thanks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

View attachment 19765

Good to know that Getsy is smarter than 95% of CCS that's already given up on Kmet.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kmet has a TON of potential, I hope he evolves. He looks ripped right now, so hopefully they can scheme him into the game, target him, and his hands are good. He needs to play aggressive. He's too passive on the field. He needs to HIT not shrink from contact. He's BIG. Use that muscle and mass. Take out those little DBs. Fingers crossed.
My BIGGEST complaint with him last year. He thinks he can juke DBs for some reason after rekting them in his first season with that big ol bruising body of his.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ummmmmm huh? He seemed to me to be the guy that would put his head/shoulder down and deliver the HIT and wasn't always easy to get down.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ummmmmm huh? He seemed to me to be the guy that would put his head/shoulder down and deliver the HIT and wasn't always easy to get down.
in 2020 yes, in 2021 not so much

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs to be alot better in the rz. He led the team in targets last year, 42% catch sucks. if he can fix that then yes he makes a big jump

Jesus after looking at those stats Mooney wasn’t even targeted in the rz, all year. Nagy is a fkn clown.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Without citing examples of how he is criticized I will say this - I and most folks criticize him for what HE IS and how he falls short of that. Essentially, for such a big, tough, bruising player he showed himself to be in his first year, last year he spent so much time trying to juke folks 50 lbs lighter than him instead of punishing them for tryna tackle him. He'd either fall down or create an angle to get rekt by a DB.

In his first season he ran right through people and there were many times after the catch he required multiple tacklers to bring him down, getting another 3-4 yards in the process.

What happened to that?

Why did he turn into such a wimp about contact in year two?

If he's going to be a weapon based off what he IS then he has to make up for that regression and build on what he did to opposing defensemen in his first season.

PS I know you have me on ignore or are doing a decent job of fake ignore, so I hope you take a moment to read a reply that is actually someone's own opinion and in stark contrast to the opinion you've plagiarized from twitter or reddit or some pencil neck dweeb's bears blog.

Thanks.
This take vs teddy 591 is the diff between a poster that watches the games and the other that doesn’t