Getsy's Run Game breakdown

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I like the way that he breaks down and discusses the Green Bay run game. He uses data, graphics, and a clear understanding of the Green Bay offense.

I do wish that he integrated more of the Morehead and Shanahan scheme. Having said that, this video is good introduction to the GB run game's concepts and execution.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Some people have all the brains, but this just makes mine hurt ;)

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This guy approaches it like he is a professional working for the team, and I like the way he breaks down the film.

The reality is that if I was serious about learning the differences in the running game, this would be a great video.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I’ve only watched through the 2nd play so far, but this is good stuff. I have a question for those more knowledgeable though…

Since the DT was lined up outside Patrick’s outside shoulder on that 2nd play, you would think the play could be tweaked for that, couldn’t it? Like when a WR runs his route based upon what the DB does on a pass play. Both WR and QB need to read the same thing for it to be successful though.

Ideally, they would want the WR fake sweep motion to freeze or even pull that DT in a bit on the snap. But once it didn’t happen, there was really no way for Patrick to get to the outside to seal him. So shouldn’t the RB have seen that and cut it up behind him? Wouldn’t have likely gotten much, but better than doing his best run sideways Cohen impersonation…

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears

I like the way that he breaks down and discusses the Green Bay run game. He uses data, graphics, and a clear understanding of the Green Bay offense.

I do wish that he integrated more of the Morehead and Shanahan scheme. Having said that, this video is good introduction to the GB run game's concepts and execution.
I only watched a little of this so far because I don't have an hour to spend right now. I'll watch the rest later. However I don't think that this is going to be Getsy's scheme in toto. He'll incorporate some (maybe a lot) of this, but Getsy has talked a lot about building an offense around the personnel the Bears have, so I think much of the Shanahan type stuff will be in there as well.
What is kinda troublesome for me though is Montgomery may not be a fit for the scheme. I'm not sure he's fast enough to get to the lane on time. I hope my worries are unfounded though because I like David very much.
The Bears may not win many games this year, but I'm excited to see if they can execute a real NFL offense with a coherent plan. Early signs are encouraging.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I only watched a little of this so far because I don't have an hour to spend right now. I'll watch the rest later. However I don't think that this is going to be Getsy's scheme in toto. He'll incorporate some (maybe a lot) of this, but Getsy has talked a lot about building an offense around the personnel the Bears have, so I think much of the Shanahan type stuff will be in there as well.
What is kinda troublesome for me though is Montgomery may not be a fit for the scheme. I'm not sure he's fast enough to get to the lane on time. I hope my worries are unfounded though because I like David very much.
The Bears may not win many games this year, but I'm excited to see if they can execute a real NFL offense with a coherent plan. Early signs are encouraging.
In the video he says that GB ran about 40% outside zone and 36% inside zone. Montgomery definitely a much better fit on inside zone, so I think they'll run a lot of that when he's in there and a lot of OZ with Herbert. But I'd imagine both guys will run both. They also ran some power (pulling guards) and duo (strong side zone runs with designed weak cutback lanes, usually with TEs/WRs blocking across the formation).

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Any cliff notes on this?
I watched it all last night. Basically talked about the different of run schemes the Packers ran:

40% outside zone
36% inside zone
19% duo runs
4% power runs

He broke down the different ways they ran each scheme and showed successful plays as well as plays that were blown up.

OZ is the most versatile, can be run to the weak side, strong side, 1 TE, 2 TE sets, can run with lead blockers, from the shotgun, can use motion and fake jet sweeps, but it goes to the B gap or further out.

IZ is always a weak side run (to the A gap), with a designed cutback lane to the strong side (weak to strong)

Duo is a strong side run (to the A gap), designed to cut back toward the TE (strong to strong)

Power is basically anything with a pulling lineman and it's basically trying to get a hat on a hat and win your block.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I watched it all last night. Basically talked about the different of run schemes the Packers ran:

40% outside zone
36% inside zone
19% duo runs
4% power runs

He broke down the different ways they ran each scheme and showed successful plays as well as plays that were blown up.

OZ is the most versatile, can be run to the weak side, strong side, 1 TE, 2 TE sets, can run with lead blockers, from the shotgun, can use motion and fake jet sweeps, but it goes to the B gap or further out.

IZ is always a weak side run (to the A gap), with a designed cutback lane to the strong side (weak to strong)

Duo is a strong side run (to the A gap), designed to cut back toward the TE (strong to strong)

Power is basically anything with a pulling lineman and it's basically trying to get a hat on a hat and win your block.
Thank you.

@TheWinman

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is kinda troublesome for me though is Montgomery may not be a fit for the scheme

However, Herbert is looking far more intriguing. Would not surprise me if he steals Montgomery's job this season.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow what an awesome breakdown. I can't even imagine how much time it takes to put something like that together. Kudos to the OP and to Stephen Letizia, who is apparently the nerd behind the video.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Monty is not but Herbert is IMO. Problem is Herbert has stone hands.

@TheWinman

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I’ve only watched through the 2nd play so far, but this is good stuff. I have a question for those more knowledgeable though…

Since the DT was lined up outside Patrick’s outside shoulder on that 2nd play, you would think the play could be tweaked for that, couldn’t it? Like when a WR runs his route based upon what the DB does on a pass play. Both WR and QB need to read the same thing for it to be successful though.

Ideally, they would want the WR fake sweep motion to freeze or even pull that DT in a bit on the snap. But once it didn’t happen, there was really no way for Patrick to get to the outside to seal him. So shouldn’t the RB have seen that and cut it up behind him? Wouldn’t have likely gotten much, but better than doing his best run sideways Cohen impersonation…

I kind of waited to see if anybody else was going to answer this, but, since nobody did, I'll explain it to the best of my ability. This may be a pretty long post.

First off, I'm going to put in an example of how to stop the outize zone that Brett Coleman discusses in his breakdown of Cole Strange. It's almost the exact same look that is illustrated in the video.

Go to 4:15 of the video and just watch Kollman's breakdown of why they shift a DT into the B gap. He's, as usual, completely right in his breakdown and analysis. Furthermore, Kollman does a good job of paralleling why this O will benefit both the Patriots and the Bears. I like his analysis, but I think there's a wrinkle that he's missing.
1652970721743.png

1652970771305.png
In general, the assignments that OL follows are 1.) Head up 2.) Inside Gap 3.) Downfield. Again, that is the general assignment most OL are taught beginning in PeeWee. Yes, that does get changed. But, understanding that assignment, you can see that the purpose is to bait the Tackle into blocking towards his inside gap. This would ultimately bait the cross block. Under standard assignments, the T would block inside on the DT and the G would cross out to take on whatever defender crashes the Edge of the play. The issue is the stacked LB can either read the gap completely unmolested by the crossing OL and either shoot off the DT's hip or crash the pulling G to disrupt the play. Either way, as Kollman says, the D really wants to force the cutback into the strength of the D.

Now, when faced with this front, Morehead actually pulled the playside G and used him as a lead blocker. For those of you who understand OL blocking, and who saw my other post, you will know that I pointed out that the guy who was breaking down that Morehead tape actually missed the pulling G, because pulling playside is just not done. I had to rewind the film a few times because I saw another blocker coming playside, and I was like, where did he come from? Holy shit, they pulled the playside G! No fucking way! In general, pulls come from the backside to both hide the pull and protect the playside with extra blockers.

So, there are three types of footwork that could be used to hit that block.

Kollman illustrates the superhuman deep step to cross the defenders face and still hit the block by turning to the 45 degree oblique.
1652971018398.png
The other two methods are the short step to the power step, which you see all of the other OL using in that picture. This the one that is standard because it requires much less athleticism. The third one is the one I'd might have my guys do which is use the short step out at the 45 into the power step and drive block. Yes, that one is the most dangerous because the OL turns his back to the playside and might get blown up before he could root into his stance and anchor into a pass block, but it is do-able. Anyway, I digress.

Now, as far as using the Jet sweep to freeze a DT, nope. In general, a DT doesn't give a shit about motion or the backfield. They have their assignment to play. Their assignment is usually the gap and then the read. Since the DT is lined up in the B, his assignment would not be to penetrate into chase, but to penetrate into hold and read on the snap. Remember, he's there to bait the X and facilitate the LB's assignment: blitz or read to scrape.

So, as you correctly pointed out, there really wasn't a way for Patrick to get to the block as he's nowhere near the level of athlete Cole Strange is to make a block across the defender's face in order block to the outside and seal. That's a crazy level block. I don't know too many players that can consistently hit that block at the pro level. I'm sure that GB had to make an adjustment on that blocking scheme. They either had to pull playside, crazy as that sounds, like Morehead or they would have had to cross block and play to the D's intentions.