Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm more in the middle here.

I don't think Jerry is as cheap as most people make him out to be. I do think he is cheap compared to other big market teams. But overall, he is not a cheap owner. Only cheap when compared to the 5 biggest NBA markets. (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Ft. Worth)

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Rozner sticking up for Reinsdorf, how surprising. What exactly was that comment about Bill Simmons having "motivations escaping the naked eye" suppoesed to mean? Jerry is not a terrible person or the worst team owner in the nba, but puffing up his chest about charitable contributions doesn't change that he has been "thrifty" in how he runs the team.

You're not cheap because you gave poor Scottie Pippen a easy job when he went broke (after you begged him not to sign a bad contract, LOL), you are cheap because you are in the 3rd largest market in the nation with non-stop fan support and a team with a global identity and you run it like a mom and pop organization. Always hiring no name coaches and general managers. Reluctant to fire those same no names when they fail because you don't want to pay them. Always failing to bring in top free agents when everyone knows that money talks.

The Bulls went from being the Yankees of the NBA to being the Pittsburg Pirates and a lot of that has to do with how much Jerry wanted to invest in the team. Either way, the Bulls are at a huge crossroad now so the past doesn't really matter as much. If they can make the right moves now they can build a dynasty again and no one will care about Jerry being cheap.

Liked Posts:

I don't think Jerry is as cheap as most people make him out to be. I do think he is cheap compared to other big market teams. But overall, he is not a cheap owner. Only cheap when compared to the 5 biggest NBA markets. (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Ft. Worth)

What you're saying about not being competitive with similar market sizes means he's violating the trust with he and Bulls fans. When someone owns an NBA team, what that really means is that they have the license to receive revenue for what their players and other teams players have built. It's an important distinction because these guys aren't owners in the sense that they're entrepreneurs by owning an NBA team. Being an entrepreneur connotes some element of risk. With owning an NBA team, there's very little risk in comparison. And so with that comes the idea of stewardship.

There's a trust between NBA teams and their fans. If Jerry's not in line with other teams, then not only is he cheap but he's violating the trust of the fan base. And this is a guy who stood behind Jerry Krause. This is also a guy who, in the early 2000s, when the team stunk, ran a bunch of local ads trying to guilt people into going to games. Anyone remember those "I never jumped off the bandwagon" ads?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I would tend to agree with this view. Jerry's not ridiculously cheap because of those things mentioned in the article. He's generally done good to former players who needed help and has bitten the bullet one a few bad contracts. That said, he doesn't operate like a big market team, like Crys said. Among those top 5 markets, he's definitely the cheapest, and I'd think if you even went beyond that he would continue to drop down the list in terms of spending. Big market team, small market mindset. Doesn't necessarily mean he's cheap, but he is incredibly conservative.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What he did after the Williams accident was indeed a class act.