Goodbye Schwarber

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is not 100% but IMO they are hard up if they start cutting like that.

IMO no team was willing to make a deal to his liking so a cut means that they couldn't spend the 8 M.

I'm not sure what this means with LF open. Do they start Bryant there?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well seeing Carlos Rondon (4M) Adam Duvall (4M) would cover Kyle's deal and curb 2 issues going into the season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh. I've spent too many years watching this team look stupid. A few years of decent success has spoiled me. The one good thing about the panademic is that the time frames of all the major sports have been altered. For at least one season the Cubs won't be my only summer sports fix....the late starts of both the NHL and the NBA will over lap into the baseball season. There will probably be a brief time when baseball is the only game in town but the 2021 NFL camps and pre season will fill most of that void. So the Cubs management can kiss my ass.....cut or trade anyone you want, I don't give a fuck. They can fall back and be the luvable losers again....but wait....they won a World Series, didn't they? LOL, doubtful when they start stinking up the northside of Chicago that their fans will think it's so "luvable".

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Nice guy. Wish him the best. Hope a change of scenery does him well.
Good memories of him helping to win the WS. Too bad it didn’t all come together here.
Good move by the Cubs. Time to move on.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Well seeing Carlos Rondon (4M) Adam Duvall (4M) would cover Kyle's deal and curb 2 issues going into the season.
Wouldn't come close to potential though huh? Schwarber has that. The other two not so much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't come close to potential though huh? Schwarber has that. The other two not so much.

Duvall had 16 HR's last year. He has had 2 30 HR seasons. Schwarber has had 1 season that he hit to his potential.

So potential? Schwarber has 2108 PA's. .230/.336/.480 (121 HR)That is enough PA's to say that he fell short and potential is not a excuse.

Duval 2170 PA (Very close) .233/.293/.468 (113 HR)

The reality is you are paying for the HR here. 4 Mil for 8 HR's. Seems pretty pricy to me. Neither are solid LF gloves and neither are 'good hitters'

Rondon I get as he has been a injury case sense 2016. He was picked right before Schwarber and over that span pitched 536.2 IP with a 4.14 ERA. For 4 mil it is worth giving him a shot to compete for the 5 with short pen lefty as a back up plan. There is a need for experience in the pen,

I think that we need to see this year as a semi fire sale and a back fill of cheaper options. The reality is no one wanted to pay Schwarber 8 mil so Jed had to cut him. That is pathetic. This is a blunt reality that we need to see it for what it really is. Teams are cutting left and right.

It wouldn't shock me to see him in the KBO catching. It is a current trend for players like him.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As recently as 2019 he hit 30 home runs plays a decent left-field and doesn’t cost that much money.

I don’t like seeing him go.

I hope he hits 45 homer for somebody next year I just hope it isn’t in Milwaukee or somewhere like that

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As recently as 2019 he hit 30 home runs plays a decent left-field and doesn’t cost that much money.

I don’t like seeing him go.

I hope he hits 45 homer for somebody next year I just hope it isn’t in Milwaukee or somewhere like that

He is still arb3. That team would have to buy into it. That is why I see him playing over seas next year. They are not bound by MLB contracts and are more willing to let him catch as long as the power bat is there.

We all know that he can mash the ball. It is the fact that his D is passable vs good. and if it wasn't for his 13% walk rate his numbers would be scary bad. His high water BA was .250. And it was directly tied into his strike out rates.

Out of his 2108 PA. 1243 went into play. (58%) 23% of those resulted into a hit (416). 77% ended up as a out. (827). Of those 416 hits 121 were HR's (29%).

So we can argue it all day but Jed and most of baseball were looking at hard facts with the guy. The feel goods kept him going but the hard reality shows that 8 M was not worth it.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cubs could still bring Kyle back (unlikely), but he's definitely not worth what he would get in arbitration. Your DH simply can't hit 0.188. Almora I can't see finding work anywhere. Maybe overseas?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Duvall ain’t schwarber. Power is similar. But let’s not ignore the OBA difference, which I thought was paramount to baseball nerds...

and that’s not even mentioning the difference in ceilings for the two players. Or the fact Duvall is 5 years older.

its going to be funny when schwarber ends up on the Yankees and mashing 50+ homers out of that joke of a RF

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Duvall ain’t schwarber. Power is similar. But let’s not ignore the OBA difference, which I thought was paramount to baseball nerds...

and that’s not even mentioning the difference in ceilings for the two players. Or the fact Duvall is 5 years older.

its going to be funny when schwarber ends up on the Yankees and mashing 50+ homers out of that joke of a RF
I'm not sure who thatll be funny for? Us because he adds nothing to their roster and they will still have the same shortcomings in the playoffs?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He would be getting 8-10 mil in arb. Jed felt that some where inbetween 2019-2020 was not worth that production. That was from the Cubs site.

It is not about the numbers of player A and player B. It is player A is getting 2X the cash and the production is underwhelming. Player B is getting paid 5 mil and the production is inline with that payout.

It is simple as that. Age(Who gives a shit on a 1 year rent anyways what a wanker opinion.) OBA or any other notion that you come up with really doesn't matter. The do not want to pay Kyle 8-10 mil to be a 1 of 3 result player. That is the bottom line. Would they pay for Duvall? On cost that is his value and they can afford it right now. But IMO they are more likely to add a CF on a rent and move Happ to LF. IMO Jed feels like Davis is close enough to make a major alteration in removing Schwarber and Almora. I just see a 1 year CF rent or a guy that they sign to a multi that gets pushed into a 4th OF role.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would be good if they signed Cameron Maybin for a few years. Get gives decent D. Decent bat. Type of guy that Davis could learn from. That is what my opinion is at least.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
You guys remember that time Cashman wanted to trade Chapman for Schwarber but Theo insisted on keeping Schwarber and gave up Torres instead? That was fun.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys remember that time Cashman wanted to trade Chapman for Schwarber but Theo insisted on keeping Schwarber and gave up Torres instead? That was fun.
Lol yes, its hindsight but I agree. Schwaber and Almora was Theo babies. Schwarber could still be a steal for a team. We won a ship so it is what it is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We could say the same about Soler. He was always talented but never healthy.

Jed and Theo are very good at getting talent. The problem has been on the development side. Schwarber came up as a masher but ended up as a .230 hitter. Ya it is what it is. Torres would have solved a bunch of problems going on right now. Regardless pointless topic.

I'm more interested in seeing who they target. They freed up 15Mil so it could prove to be interesting. Ha-Seong Kim to 3B and Bryant to LF would be amazing IMO.