Gordon's official contract numbers

vhans5219

Liked Posts:
Why couldn't the Bulls give him those kind of contracts ?

flipcyde23

Liked Posts:
A lil' bird named Jerry told me, he said, "Cheap! Cheap!"

BG is worth every penny...and he will be sure to remind us when we meet him 4 times this season by torching us for 40 pts each game. Throw in a game winning buzzer beater for one of those games too for old time's sake.

Good Luck BG..I will root for you...except when you play the Bulls.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
flipcyde23 wrote:
A lil' bird named Jerry told me, he said, "Cheap! Cheap!"

BG is worth every penny...and he will be sure to remind us when we meet him 4 times this season by torching us for 40 pts each game. Throw in a game winning buzzer beater for one of those games too for old time's sake.

Good Luck BG..I will root for you...except when you play the Bulls.

Bg is not worth that, he is a one trick pony (that one trick is very good).

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Because they are smart! That is too much money to pay a dude that plays 47 feet. I am sorry but I am sticking to my beliefs. 10mil average over so many years and that is it. Good luck to him, he cashed in....11.5 mil per season? More than Hedo and Odom? That's crazy.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Because they are smart! That is too much money to pay a dude that plays 47 feet. I am sorry but I am sticking to my beliefs. 10mil average over so many years and that is it. Good luck to him, he cashed in....11.5 mil per season? More than Hedo and Odom? That's crazy.
He is younger and better than Hedo and Odom however I agree nearly 12 mill a year is alot to pay for Gordon and not so much that he isn't worth it but we couldn't afford to pay him that and add the help we need in the frontline knowing Rose will also be getting a big extension in a few years. He earned his payday but the question is will we make a strong play for a star frontcourt player now, even if we don't get one because all you can ask is that we try.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He is younger and better than Hedo and Odom however I agree nearly 12 mill a year is alot to pay for Gordon and not so much that he isn't worth it but we couldn't afford to pay him that and add the help we need in the frontline knowing Rose will also be getting a big extension in a few years. He earned his payday but the question is will we make a strong play for a star frontcourt player now, even if we don't get one because all you can ask is that we try.

He is younger than Hedo and Odom, he is not better. I am not talking scoring here, I am talking basketball. Hedo and Odom are better basketball players, that is a no brainer. And believe me, the Bulls declined to match because he is not worth 12 mil a year.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Gordon is worth that money.

Everyone talks about market value, that also applies to the team. If Deng got X and Hinrich got X, then BG should get X. But Bulls management didn't feel that way because they were lucky enough to land Salmons.

But Deng will get hurt again, Salmons will have to play the 3 and the backcourt will be thin.

But don't worry....D-Wade is coming in 2010 :dry:

reignman

Liked Posts:
*sing* "put your hands up for Detroit ... I love this city" *sing*

:blink:

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:

Everyone talks about market value, that also applies to the team. If Deng got X and Hinrich got X, then BG should get X. But Bulls management didn't feel that way because they were lucky enough to land Salmons.

But Deng will get hurt again, Salmons will have to play the 3 and the backcourt will be thin.

But don't worry....D-Wade is coming in 2010 :dry:

BG may be worth that money. I'm not convinced he will. I'm certainly not upset watching him go if we had to beat that offer, and we would have.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

But don't worry....D-Wade is coming in 2010

You don't pay that type of money for a player who is not top 10 at his position. I am happy with paying him 10mil. There is no way that a player like Odom cannot get 10 and you give Gordon 12. That is ridiculous.

So once again, we will have to disagree.

Don't have to have DWade, get Joe Johnson and I will be happy, content with Salmons for now.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

A few points:

1. If you moved the economic climate of 2004, 05, 06, 07 and even 08 to the summer of 2009, BG would have made a lot more. This is a terrible economy, and the overall contracts being signed in every sport but football prove it. An 11 per year contract in 2009 would be closer to 13 or 14 million in the high-spending days before 09.

2. Scorers get paid. Why should Ben be any different? 11 million is the least you'll pay for guys who can score, even in this God-awful economy. If revenues continue to decline, it may go down to 10. But relevant to what other players make, scorers will always get more because scorers (especially those who win, like Ben) are hard to find. I'm pretty sure that if you look at the top 20 scorers in the league (Ben was #17), all of them will be making about 12 million per year, or they will soon be making that.

NAME PTS
D. Wade, MIA 30.2
L. James, CLE 28.4
K. Bryant, LAL 26.8
D. Nowitzki, DAL25.9
D. Granger, IND 25.8
K. Durant, OKC 25.3
C. Paul, NOR 22.8
C. Anthony, DEN 22.8
C. Bosh, TOR 22.7
B. Roy, POR 22.6
A. Jamison, WAS 22.2
T. Parker, SAS 22
J. Johnson, ATL 21.4
D. Harris, NJN 21.3
D. West, NOR 21
V. Carter, NJN 20.8
B. Gordon, CHI 20.7

3. Gilbert Arenas is one of the worst defenders in the history of the NBA. His D is a joke in NBA circles. Did you ever see what he makes. Hedo also has a rep for "playing 47 feet". That doesn't matter. Scorers get paid. Period.

4. Defense specialits, relevant to scorers, do not get paid. Bruce Bowen was widely acknowledged as one of the best defenders in the NBA. I don't believe he ever made over 6 million per year. Ditto Shane Battier. Trevor Ariza is one the top 10 defenders in the league. He signed for 6 per year. Ben is one of the top 30 scorers. He signed for 11. Kirk received his 9.75 per year based on the premise that he could continue to develop as a offensive player, along with his good d. He maxed out at 16 per game. He'll sign for 6 million per year on his next contract if he's lucky. Maybe 7 if the economy turns around.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
You don't pay that type of money for a player who is not top 10 at his position. I am happy with paying him 10mil. There is no way that a player like Odom cannot get 10 and you give Gordon 12. That is ridiculous.

So once again, we will have to disagree.

Don't have to have DWade, get Joe Johnson and I will be happy, content with Salmons for now.

I think Gordon is easily top 10 at his position. I also think he's better than Odom and Turkoglu, but I think Turkoglu's contract is pretty poor. I would have been good with Gordon at around 10 million, would have gone 11 million, but we would have had to do 12 million, that's just too much for me to be upset on missing.

If we had gotten Gordon back at that price I would have looked on the bright side for having Gordon, but I would have thought in the back of my head there's a good chance this doesn't end well, much like with Luol Deng where I was happy he was back and yet still thought his contract was too much.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't think he is better than Hedo, I definitely don't think he is better than Odom. But I do think that Dumars was bidding against himself, he could have saved himself 7 or 8 mil overall on that contract.

What is your criteria? From watching the games, he is not top 10. There are 10 SGs who are more skilled players than he is. If you want to get nerdy and look at stats and formulas...he was ranked #11 in PER last year at his position. And that is not counting players that can swing to the SG position.

But none of that matters now. Gordon is gone.

I would like all bad contracts the Bulls have to be expunged from the books and start new. That includes Luol and Hinrich. That is my opinion. At one time Luol was the best player on the team arguably, but I wish he could leave. It is all about DRose now...

postdiction

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
houheffna wrote:

A few points:

1. If you moved the economic climate of 2004, 05, 06, 07 and even 08 to the summer of 2009, BG would have made a lot more. This is a terrible economy, and the overall contracts being signed in every sport but football prove it. An 11 per year contract in 2009 would be closer to 13 or 14 million in the high-spending days before 09.

2. Scorers get paid. Why should Ben be any different? 11 million is the least you'll pay for guys who can score, even in this God-awful economy. If revenues continue to decline, it may go down to 10. But relevant to what other players make, scorers will always get more because scorers (especially those who win, like Ben) are hard to find. I'm pretty sure that if you look at the top 20 scorers in the league (Ben was #17), all of them will be making about 12 million per year, or they will soon be making that.

NAME PTS
D. Wade, MIA 30.2
L. James, CLE 28.4
K. Bryant, LAL 26.8
D. Nowitzki, DAL25.9
D. Granger, IND 25.8
K. Durant, OKC 25.3
C. Paul, NOR 22.8
C. Anthony, DEN 22.8
C. Bosh, TOR 22.7
B. Roy, POR 22.6
A. Jamison, WAS 22.2
T. Parker, SAS 22
J. Johnson, ATL 21.4
D. Harris, NJN 21.3
D. West, NOR 21
V. Carter, NJN 20.8
B. Gordon, CHI 20.7

3. Gilbert Arenas is one of the worst defenders in the history of the NBA. His D is a joke in NBA circles. Did you ever see what he makes. Hedo also has a rep for "playing 47 feet". That doesn't matter. Scorers get paid. Period.

4. Defense specialits, relevant to scorers, do not get paid. Bruce Bowen was widely acknowledged as one of the best defenders in the NBA. I don't believe he ever made over 6 million per year. Ditto Shane Battier. Trevor Ariza is one the top 10 defenders in the league. He signed for 6 per year. Ben is one of the top 30 scorers. He signed for 11. Kirk received his 9.75 per year based on the premise that he could continue to develop as a offensive player, along with his good d. He maxed out at 16 per game. He'll sign for 6 million per year on his next contract if he's lucky. Maybe 7 if the economy turns around.

A few counter points

1) On the list you provided the vast majority of players score and add something else to your team such as playmaking, rebounding, good defense etc... BG doesn't provide anything else besides scoring.

2) As you said scorers do get paid so maybe 12 million/year is most he is worth however, on a team when you are paying already paying Deng and Kirk and you want to keep money open for 2010 and you want to resign Rose to an extension it doesn't make sense to take on another 5/58 contract. I would be okay with Gordon at 12 mil if we got rid of one or both of Deng/Kirk's contracts first.

3) Everything the bulls do now must be to help Rose develop so, as Mr. Thonus's excellent blog post points out http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi...more-thoughts-from-summer-league-chatter.html, maybe BG wasn't interested in helping Rose develop whereas Kirk was. Even though BG has been the ultimate professional, maybe he wasn't he best fit for Rose's development (something the organization/coach would know better than us fans).

4) We have Salmons who at least for 1 year can make up 90% of what BG had given us. Granted keeping Salmons long term will cost the same as keeping BG but, we can make that decision after we see what happens in 2010. Salmons in Sacramento where he was the main guy, and here where he was a role player was able to score 18 ppg with 47% FG and and 42% on thees all averages that are comparible to BG.

5) As for the other 10%, the clutch shooting/ability to take over games, that needs to come from Rose. We need Rose to develop into that type of offensive player who is confident at end of games if he is to become the superstar we are all hoping for. During end of games, I wished they gave the ball to Rose more often. I already was confident that BG could make the play but, I wanted to see if Rose could do it. With BG gone, we either sink or swim with Rose and that is the only way to find out what we have in Rose.

Another side note, I have few friends who are piston fans who very upset that the pistons are paying BG 5/58 because, they don't see him as a "franchise" player. With the current makeup of their roster, he is a very expensive backup SG.

Barring unforeseen contributions, the Bulls will not be a better team next year but, for the long term flexibility this is the right move. What really hurts me is that we had to give up BG for nothing. If we could have traded him, we could have gotten a 1st round draft pick in 2010 or another good player.

At 5/58 million I am sorry to see BG go especially since I have to watch Deng still play on the Bulls. However, if we had kept BG at 5/60mil and kept Deng/Kirk, I would have been more upset.

laters,

postdiction

Go Illini!

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Gordon might be "worth" that contract in a vacuum. But you have to consider a few things:

a) The 2010 situation
b) His fit next to Rose
c) The fact the organisation (rightly or wrongly) doesn't feel he'll go the extra mile for the team

Given those constraints, I really don't see how you can pay a guy 11.6 million/year when whether he's worth that is arguable to start with.

As I've been saying all along, this is a guy who if we'd signed it would be as an asset we'd be looking to trade. We wouldn't be signing him because we felt he was a long term piece for our team. When it comes to trades, a player's value is very much tied up in their production relative to their contract. At the price Detroit got him, Gordon has very little trade value. Go and look at the history of what guys on big contracts who are less than all-star quality end up getting traded for and it's really not pretty.

Hence I believe we are actually better off just letting him walk for nothing and investing his 30+ minutes per game in other players, because that actually provides more value for the Bulls in the long run.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
I agree that BG at 12mill per year is a bit high but lets not forget, JR beat him into his mind games and got him to accept 9mill per year. We had him at a huge hometown discount and threw him out like trash. Whatever his issues or personalities or whatever garbage comes out from the brain trust of mediocrity and profits, JR had BG at his price. JR pulled the deal, it doesn't matter if BG signed for a dollar more, we made a decision that we were happy to let him walk for nothing. Not even the cr@p package NO offered a little while ago. This was not a basketball decision at all. It was strictly financial and as long as these knuckleheads are allowed to run the team, we will be lovable first round losers. We will never be contenders. We make choices like having a 9million per year backup pg to our superstar and a guy we will have to renounce to use our cap space instead of an all star 20/10 pf in boozer. We realistically could have had a starting lineup of Rose, BG, Deng, Boozer, Noah with Miller, Salmons, Pargo and Johnson off the bench. But alas, that would have dropped us to fourth most profitable team in the league instead of our record setting league leading profit.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
I agree that BG at 12mill per year is a bit high but lets not forget, JR beat him into his mind games and got him to accept 9mill per year. We had him at a huge hometown discount and threw him out like trash. Whatever his issues or personalities or whatever garbage comes out from the brain trust of mediocrity and profits, JR had BG at his price. JR pulled the deal, it doesn't matter if BG signed for a dollar more, we made a decision that we were happy to let him walk for nothing. Not even the cr@p package NO offered a little while ago. This was not a basketball decision at all. It was strictly financial and as long as these knuckleheads are allowed to run the team, we will be lovable first round losers. We will never be contenders. We make choices like having a 9million per year backup pg to our superstar and a guy we will have to renounce to use our cap space instead of an all star 20/10 pf in boozer. We realistically could have had a starting lineup of Rose, BG, Deng, Boozer, Noah with Miller, Salmons, Pargo and Johnson off the bench. But alas, that would have dropped us to fourth most profitable team in the league instead of our record setting league leading profit.

That's the Bulls dis-Organization in a nutshell. No one will ever be able to pry open JR's kung-fu grip on his over-sized wallet. And for that reason, the Bulls will be doomed to mediocrity for years to come.