Grant Delpit S LSU

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
He is being ranked in the mid-30's by quite a few boards. Last couple times I have played with mock sims he is sometimes available at 43.

Watched quite a bit of him last few years at LSU and he is a very high quality Safety prospect and even though he has some speed and range, he plays more like a SS to me.

If this guy is available at 43 he would be yet another piece that could push this Defense to elite.

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
Seeing him in the 30's alot recently. IDK. Also S's are similar to RB's in the sometimes tend to fall. Always a couple ranked in the 20's 30's get to the 40's just never know who it will be .

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Haven’t really scouted the safeties yet but safety is one of those positions that can jump right in as a rookie and succeed so count me in if a good one is there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's much more of free safety than a strong safety. Not a great tackler, not super physical. Not a great fit imo.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well he's primarily a coverage safety, so does that mean Eddie Jackson is playing in the box again (like he did with Haha)?

I'd add, I'm not a big fan of drafting safeties early or at all. The most critical part of being a great NFL safety is their instincts. It's so hard to look at college instincts and production then try to project that over to the pros. I'd actually prefer to draft a big corner that can convert to safety then just draft a safety outright.

Let's look at Haha for a second. At the 2014 NFL draft it was between him and Calvin Pryor for who would be the top safety off the board. He went at 21 just a few picks after Pryor (18). Pryor is out of the league and Haha can't get more than a one year, prove it type deal.

Anyway, what's my point? If you want a safety to fit your scheme there are a bunch of proven commodities out there. You guy need a SS, so what's wrong with Reshad Jones, Tony Jefferson, Morgon Burnett or Vonn Bell? You need a one year stop gap. All of those guys would fit especially when surrounded with the defensive talent your roster already has.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
Antoine Winfield Jr. could end up being the best saftey in this draft. He'll be available at 43.

Or

Antoine Brooks Jr. is a stud. Him and Darnell Savage from the Packers was paired together at Maryland. His playstyle reminds me of Adrian Amos. He'll be available 4th or 5th round.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He’s my #3 safety in the draft.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
Well he's primarily a coverage safety, so does that mean Eddie Jackson is playing in the box again (like he did with Haha)?

I'd add, I'm not a big fan of drafting safeties early or at all. The most critical part of being a great NFL safety is their instincts. It's so hard to look at college instincts and production then try to project that over to the pros. I'd actually prefer to draft a big corner that can convert to safety then just draft a safety outright.

Let's look at Haha for a second. At the 2014 NFL draft it was between him and Calvin Pryor for who would be the top safety off the board. He went at 21 just a few picks after Pryor (18). Pryor is out of the league and Haha can't get more than a one year, prove it type deal.

Anyway, what's my point? If you want a safety to fit your scheme there are a bunch of proven commodities out there. You guy need a SS, so what's wrong with Reshad Jones, Tony Jefferson, Morgon Burnett or Vonn Bell? You need a one year stop gap. All of those guys would fit especially when surrounded with the defensive talent your roster already has.

I actually agree with this. Well said.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He is being ranked in the mid-30's by quite a few boards. Last couple times I have played with mock sims he is sometimes available at 43.

Watched quite a bit of him last few years at LSU and he is a very high quality Safety prospect and even though he has some speed and range, he plays more like a SS to me.

If this guy is available at 43 he would be yet another piece that could push this Defense to elite.

He won't make it to the 20's and if he does he'll go quick in the 20's.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I actually agree with this. Well said.
Same can be said for off ball linebackers. When watching college LBs constantly make plays it's tough to determine how much of that is their college's scheme, how much is their specific coaches ability to game plan and how much is their raw instincts?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Haven’t really scouted the safeties yet but safety is one of those positions that can jump right in as a rookie and succeed so count me in if a good one is there.

If we go SS at #43 or #50 then my eyes are on K.Dugger and J.Chinn.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Antoine Winfield Jr. could end up being the best saftey in this draft. He'll be available at 43.

Or

Antoine Brooks Jr. is a stud. Him and Darnell Savage from the Packers was paired together at Maryland. His playstyle reminds me of Adrian Amos. He'll be available 4th or 5th round.

I think you're right on with Winfield. I haven't seen enough of Brooks to comment.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good player. No way I take a S in 2nd given our current needs. We have the highest paid S already. We cant stack every position with studs and the 2nd S is pretty much the least valuable spot on the both sides of the ball IMO.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Remy on this one. The Bears need to use their 4th -6th round pick on a Safety with the hopes of getting a cheap but valuable backup with the hopes of being a possible starter for a couple years.
There are just too many other pressing needs.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He won't be there.

If you want a safety in the 2nd round its kyle dugger for you sir. (After a trade down)

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Don’t bother. Those guys are disasters.
Chinn is interesting. Why do you think he's a disaster? The film is a 'meh', but the Senior Bowl drills and Combine results make you wonder if his college system didn't really put him in a situation to succeed.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Your post made me think of a dark horse candidate for SS competition.

1. He won't cost us any of our valuable cap money remaining
  2. He won't cost us any of our limited number of draft picks
  3. He won't cost us a comp pick in the future
Who is he?

Stephen Denmark
  1. He is raw as a CB but ...
  2. He has tremendous instincts when attacking the ball
  3. He is extremely physical
  4. He does have some coverage skills (but would be a better SS than FS)
  5. He is very athletic and has very good hands
  6. He is 6' 4" and 216 so he could even be a backup linebacker
Sure sounds like a CB that becomes a SS or linebacker