Greatest 1st round series ever?

collisrost

Liked Posts:
I know the Bulls just lost a heartbreaker and we're all devastated. But for perspctive, This Bulls-Celtics series has been just amazing! I mean, you've had

- 4 overtimes in the first 5 games
- the emergence of two young star point guards, including one of the greatest playoff debuts ever by Rose
- A fantastic shootout
- Unlikely heroes in Tyrus and Big Baby
- Great storylines on both sides
- all games but one coming down to the last few seconds
- a probable passing of the torch in the Eastern Conference from a great chanpionship team to an up and coming young one

I just can't remember and first round series that has better drama and better games than this one.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
sorry, but I completely disagree. the bulls and celts have played sloppy as hell, the refs have been horrible, the defense of both teams has been bad. its one of the closest first round series ever, but one of the best? no.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
There's been a lot of big shots though, it hasn't been all slop, so I'd say it's definitely one of the better 1st round series ever.

hfritz32

Liked Posts:
How bout when Golden State knocked off the no 1 seed mavericks? If this series wants to be one of the best ever it needs to go to game 7 and have another close game winning fg in game 7 or it will fall short

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Knicks vs Heat when the Knicks upset them as a 2 vs 7 seed.
Nuggets vs Sonics when the Nuggets upset them as the 8 seed.

Those stick out, especially the crazy Allen Houston shot and Deke on the ground with the ball. I don't really remember much else about either series though.

This series will need a moment like that in game 7 to fill those kind of shoes.

RPK

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Knicks vs Heat when the Knicks upset them as a 2 vs 7 seed.
Nuggets vs Sonics when the Nuggets upset them as the 8 seed.

Those stick out, especially the crazy Allen Houston shot and Deke on the ground with the ball. I don't really remember much else about either series though.

This series will need a moment like that in game 7 to fill those kind of shoes.

The Nuggets/Sonics was terrific, but I don't remember that series going into Overtime with as much frequency or there being as many amazing last second threes. Still, if the Bulls lose, this series blows.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
This series has been a disaster for us, how many fourth quarter leads have we given up? Rondo has abused Rose this whole series. I cant believe we are going to lose to a team that is up there in age and banged up.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Except they have 3 young starters in their lineup and 2 old players who are superstars. While we have injures to Deng, Gordon, and Salmons. Ya its crazy right considering that team without Garnett still wins 50 games

cool007

Liked Posts:
How can this series not be one of the best ever? Maybe not but atleast for the first round it is.

It is so evenly matched that it really doesn't matter who comes out of the first round coz both teams deserve it.

This series is more like East Finals series or atleast a 2nd round series type. Far too exciting for a 1st round series.

Even other fans from the other teams from all over the place are really crazy about this series. I mean Bulls could have easily been 3-2 right now or even 4-1 right now - same can be said about Boston as well.

The thing is us being a young team and a rookie coach and a rookie PG, and not being in this type of situation (lack of experience) has caused to be down 3-2 instead of up.

I definitely think it will go 7 games and it will come down to the wire.

EPIC

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Except they have 3 young starters in their lineup and 2 old players who are superstars. While we have injures to Deng, Gordon, and Salmons. Ya its crazy right considering that team without Garnett still wins 50 games

Oh please dont be bringing in Bgs injury into this. Perkins and Big Baby are nothing special. We basically lost this series because of Peirce and Rondo. Very disappointing.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
What friggin series have you been watching? Big Baby has been playing as good as Pierce. If your going to get pissed about the loss go in your room and cry look most fans on this board are doing right now

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Dpauley23 wrote:

Oh please dont be bringing in Bgs injury into this. Perkins and Big Baby are nothing special. We basically lost this series because of Peirce and Rondo. Very disappointing.
Don't count us out just yet. There is still a chance of winning considering that all but one game has gone down to the wire. This overtime thing is insane, I definitely did not anticipate having 3 games go into OT. The way this series is going there may be a couple more. I'd say that this is definitely one of the better 1st round series ever.

RPK

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
This series has been a disaster for us, how many fourth quarter leads have we given up? Rondo has abused Rose this whole series. I cant believe we are going to lose to a team that is up there in age and banged up.

Rose definitely has to improve his defensive awareness, but it be a mistake to blame all of Rondo's success on Rose's D considering the fact that the Celtics run their offense almost exclusively through pick and rolls where Rose is not even the primary defender after the pick.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
What friggin series have you been watching? Big Baby has been playing as good as Pierce. If your going to get pissed about the loss go in your room and cry look most fans on this board are doing right now

Big baby has never played a span of games this well until he faced crap players like Brad and Tyrus.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Dpauley23 wrote:

I disagree. I do agree with dpauley on this one.

Bulls wanted to just really concentrate on Allen and Pierce when the series started but Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins have been HUGE and have helped them BIG TIME which we really don't realize. We like Noah but Perkins has been far better, same with Big baby - who has played far better than Tyrus and Rondo has played far better than Rose.

The only thing is Gordon has tried to match with Allen/Pierce in the production and the series has been this close or it would have been over by now.

See how it really looked bad when we weren't going to Gordon and Miller meesed up 3 plays in a row, Salmons and Hinrich passed up open shots and took tougher one instead. Rose with couple of costly turnovers etc.

Gordon again gave us a chance to win at the end. I am so glad BG played today or it would have been ugly at the end.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Hinrich kept us in the game in 1st half and Gordon did the same in the 2 half.

collisrost

Liked Posts:
I know some of the play has been ugly and the Bulls are down, but if you're going to have those amazing "How did he do that?" moments with last second threes with a hand in your face or twisting layups which seem impossible you'll also have some "cringe moments" as well. And the most important reason why I think this series has been great is because there's so many reasons why you would think it wouldn't even be close, you could make an argument for either team having an advantage and you'd be right.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Maybe it's not "great," but it sure as hell is exciting. Four out of five games have been epic in terms of nailbiting intensity. I'd certainly rank this as the most exicting first rounder since the GSW upset of Dallas.

Losing tough games is always hard, but I really wish we could reach for the big picture. I'm so thoroughly entertained that we're having live and die playoff intensity out of what was seen until just weeks ago as a lost season. That's not settling for moral victories either, it's practical also. How much does this team grow, both in sheer confidence but also in big game lessons learned, by just enduring these sorts of games? It's great for Rose, great for Vinnie, and great for the team. This is the most fun I've had since we beat the Heat.

dynastyVI

Liked Posts:
The overtimes have been excruciating, and great for the Bulls as a learning experience. I still think that Denver's upset of Seattle in 1994 was truly magical. The Sonics had Payton, Kemp, Perkins, Schremp, Nate McMillan (!), and Ricky Pierce. They had a .768 winning percentage. Then Mutombo holding the ball with the camera overhead shot was timeless.