Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I remember watching that clear as day. Was working at a newspaper doing HS sports at the time. We had the game on and there were a few of us going nuts.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The best 17 seconds but certainly not the "greatest" game. There's been a lot of better games over the years but I'll stay in the OP's realm of Hawk history which is probably the last 10 years or so. Here's a few...

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
The best 17 seconds but certainly not the "greatest" game. There's been a lot of better games over the years but I'll stay in the OP's realm of Hawk history which is probably the last 10 years or so. Here's a few...

Completely agree. I'm biased of course (since I was there), but the greatest game -- at least in the Cup era -- was Game 5 Nashville 2010. Quite simply, you don't see a 5-on-5-with-the-goalie-pulled goal by the trailing team -- it's incredibly rare, in both the regular season but especially in the playoffs. If that miracle wasn't enough, you had a consecutive miracle when they killed Hossa's major penalty, only for that very penalized player (in his first year with the team, whose debut was delayed late in that same year due to injury and who had been snake-bitten on the two losing teams of the Cup Finals the last two years) to win the game for you. You couldn't write a game any better.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed with the "It's not the greatest 'hawk game in History" but it's up there.

I'll also add the 2015 cup clincher...Shutting out Tampa Bay to win the cup at home, as one of the best.

But 17 seconds was good enough to be featured as Bad British Hockey Commentary:

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Agreed with the "It's not the greatest 'hawk game in History" but it's up there.

I'll also add the 2015 cup clincher...Shutting out Tampa Bay to win the cup at home, as one of the best.

But 17 seconds was good enough to be featured as Bad British Hockey Commentary:
I still get chills down my back when I see that, It happened so fast I couldn’t believe it was happening.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Those were great times, it seems like an eternity since we have witnessed such excitement from our Hawks.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Man these videos bring back good memories!

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Man these videos bring back good memories!
It feels like an eternity since we have seen something special from our Hawks, those Hawks teams from 2009-2016 were so good, depth all the way through the lineup with an elite coach.

Granada

Liked Posts:
It feels like an eternity since we have seen something special from our Hawks, those Hawks teams from 2009-2016 were so good, depth all the way through the lineup with an elite coach.

That 2016 team -- I still feel like if they got past the Blues in the first round, they would have won the Cup. I really thought they would win that Game 7 after coming back from 3-1 and whipping them in Game 6. That loss was probably the second hardest for me in the Cup era, behind LA WCF Game 7 in 2014.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
The comeback game against Calgary in 2010.

spotted them five goals and still won.

That game I knew the Hawks were winning the Cup and during '10 there was alot of half effort games where they were just so good it didn't matter.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That game I knew the Hawks were winning the Cup and during '10 there was alot of half effort games where they were just so good it didn't matter.
I'll give that to you. Insane game...especially since at the time I was expecting them to get steamrolled...and then once the comeback mounted to get close and then just fizzle out. Was elated that they pulled it out.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I'll give that to you. Insane game...especially since at the time I was expecting them to get steamrolled...and then once the comeback mounted to get close and then just fizzle out. Was elated that they pulled it out.
You know, you look back at that '10 team and see just how deep they were that a complete puck matador in Niemi was enough of a goalie for them to win the Cup.

Their third line was better then half the leagues first line. They didn't come across similar depth until Philly and even then the Hawks defense was so much better and I'm sorry, I don't think the Cup that year was as close as many Eastern fans want to think it was.

That being said, the 13 team was a machine of two way players. Kruger and Frolik were the biggest miss match in the league to top lines and if the Hawks wernt throwing out Toews and Hossa teams had to deal with those two and it was amazing to watch.

Kruger and Fro on the PK we're so much fun. They were toying with teams with a man advantage. I miss those days

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Some games they seemed to just loaf through the first two periods and fall behind by 2 goals.
But damn, how many times did they flip the switch in the 3rd and end up winning.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know, you look back at that '10 team and see just how deep they were that a complete puck matador in Niemi was enough of a goalie for them to win the Cup.

Their third line was better then half the leagues first line. They didn't come across similar depth until Philly and even then the Hawks defense was so much better and I'm sorry, I don't think the Cup that year was as close as many Eastern fans want to think it was.

That being said, the 13 team was a machine of two way players. Kruger and Frolik were the biggest miss match in the league to top lines and if the Hawks wernt throwing out Toews and Hossa teams had to deal with those two and it was amazing to watch.

Kruger and Fro on the PK we're so much fun. They were toying with teams with a man advantage. I miss those days
I think the 2010 team had more depth and better O (by a little), but the 2013 had better D (especially D from FWDs)--by a little. The kickover for the 2013 team is goaltending: .923 for the team in 2013 vs. .901 for 2010 for the team--that's significant.

That's not to say the 2010 team was less exciting; far from it. but If I would pick a 'hawk team to represent vs. all of the best teams in history, I go to war with the 2013 team. :)

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Game 7 of the 2013 Detroit series was one of my favorites. That whole series was crazy, but once Seabrookzival won the game again. I knew the Cup was ours.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Game 7 of the 2013 Detroit series was one of my favorites. That whole series was crazy, but once Seabrookzival won the game again. I knew the Cup was ours.

Once again.....the Hawks overcoming some real horrible officiating as they waved off a Hammer late goal in regulation. I think it was Saad who was held and pinned by two Detroit players....not only was the goal waved but Detroit didn't even get a penalty.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once again.....the Hawks overcoming some real horrible officiating as they waved off a Hammer late goal in regulation. I think it was Saad who was held and pinned by two Detroit players....not only was the goal waved but Detroit didn't even get a penalty.

Held, pinned, then tackled. My blood pressure has been permanently raised from that game.

Granada

Liked Posts:

That ref never reffed another game after that. He "moved" back to Director of Officiating.

Guess now he's the VP. World's a funny and cruel place.

"On August 25, 2009 he announced his decision to step down from his position as the NHL's Director of Officiating to allow him to attempt a comeback at on-ice officiating as a referee. His first game back as an NHL Referee was October 21, 2009 when Florida hosted Buffalo. Since his return, he has officiated in two Stanley Cup Finals (2010 and 2011).

On August 7, 2013, he returned to the position of the NHL's Director of Officiating."