Grocery Shopping

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We went to walmart today .After loading mulch and some soil I stayed in the van and had a couple of beers. Wife comes out with a very full cart. Asked how much and her answer was 319 fucking dollars. Damn.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
We went to walmart today .After loading mulch and some soil I stayed in the van and had a couple of beers. Wife comes out with a very full cart. Asked how much and her answer was 319 fucking dollars. Damn.
Urblock...Everything today is sky high, and it's going to probably get worse.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I got a meat delivery today. 1.5 lb Side of salmon, 4 oz foie gras, 5 lbs pork hocks, 10 lb pork shoulder, 4 lbs air chilled chicken wings and a pint of demi Glace. Only 55 bucks

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got a meat delivery today. 1.5 lb Side of salmon, 4 oz foie gras, 5 lbs pork hocks, 10 lb pork shoulder, 4 lbs air chilled chicken wings and a pint of demi Glace. Only 55 bucks
No meat on this trip. We've been busy with yard work and starting the house projects that we ran out of almost everything. Did manage to have beer and smoke. LOL

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Groceries are going through the roof out here. Haven't raised prices in two years, but between the COG and labor increases, I'm going 5% this fall, if not a smidgen higher.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I now get certain foods straight from production supply lines.

I can buy bags of frozen farmed Salmon for 5 dollars a bag. Each bag is roughly 2+ pounds of skin on fillets. Theres about 8-10 pieces per bag. So it may be a little over 2 pounds. At 2 pounds its 2.50 per pound. I bought 4-5 bags a couple of weeks ago. I will probably buy 10-15 bags and stuff the freezer next time.

I can only imagine how much they are paying the salmon farmers per pound.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Buddy you might have a drinking problem lol

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Demi glace is basically gravy right?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Use coupons.

Reactions: DC

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Groceries are going through the roof out here. Haven't raised prices in two years, but between the COG and labor increases, I'm going 5% this fall, if not a smidgen higher.
I'm buying meat from a restaurant supplier so it's still cheaper than grocery but I'm seeing beef go up like 30% gotta be rough for your margins. Veg from farmer markets so that's been way cheap where I'm at (I go for the final 30 minutes)

I do see that processed foods and snacks are up big time so even more incentive to not eat that garbage

Reactions: DC

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is, but very thick. A pint probably uses 2 lbs of beef minimum. I researched making it myself but it's actually cheaper to buy it and it takes a long time to make. This has truffle in it too.

It is a pain in the ass to make. More than Gourmet is a pretty good brand for pre-made. What are you doing with the Foie?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It is a pain in the ass to make. More than Gourmet is a pretty good brand for pre-made. What are you doing with the Foie?
No clue I just thought it would be a good pantry item and needed to boost my order total for free shipping. Maybe do some sort of wellington action, maybe just spread it on some saltine crackers lol. Suggestions?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
It is, but very thick. A pint probably uses 2 lbs of beef minimum. I researched making it myself but it's actually cheaper to buy it and it takes a long time to make. This has truffle in it too.

Its definitely a hassle to make. Its not much prepping or anything its the

roasting/simmering/skimming/straining/reducing/topping up/cooling and optional reduction again. 12-24 hours for sure. Its expensive if only using veal.

Ive made it a few ways in the past

a) Chicken Wings and Oxtail/reduction

b) Beef bones/reduction

c) Beef bones/reduction then combine with roux based sauce (espagnole sauce made using the reduction too)

Each version also includes mirepoix/tomatoe paste/bouquet garni. Oxtails use to be dirt cheap back in the day. The cheapest were at asian supermarkets that had a decent meat section (fresh or frozen) Would Just use wings/beef bones or beef bones now due to cost.

For the bulk. Freeze into ice cube trays and then empty into freezer bags.

EDIT: Also if money isnt an issue go with Veal. Veal bones are more gelatinous than beef

Last edited:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sear it in a hot pan on both sides serve with quince paste or something sweet, a bit of jam or jelly. A favorite restaurant used to make PB&J, smear of peanut (or other nut butter), foie slice, jelly on top. A balsamic or port reduction works, too. Serve with a sweet(er) (white) wine, if you are into that.

Sear and put on top of steak works well, too, particularly good on filet. Lots of sauces go with that but aren’t necessary. And of course, Wellington.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Because when you think truffles, you think Wal-Mart

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oxtails use to be dirt cheap back in the day. The cheapest were at asian supermarkets that had a decent meat section (fresh or frozen)

I have a Jamaican owned "Fruit Market" a few blocks down with a vastly underrated meat department that had me coming back for the $3.99 lb oxtail. A more recent trip did see a hike to $5.99 lb, but still pretty reasonable a couple times a year. It's one of those cravings I have when the television speaks of things like "Polar vortex".

They also have goat legs that I am one day going to be man enough to buy and do something awesome with.