Guns

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I was on the fence about getting one in 5.7x28 because I was (and still am) a massive proponent of that cartridge. Wound up putting not doing it since I just couldn't convince myself that the 5.7x28 instead of .300 BLK was best in an AR pistol, and the options in .300 BLK are pretty endless. No complaints with the weapon itself though.

Have you thought a 10mm Banshee?

Are you talking about the .45 PPQ? Its a really nice gun. I'm a self-admitted HK snob and even I have to admit its zero dropoff from the HK45 to the PPQ with range ammo. The issues start when you move to .45 Super, but unless you're in bear country there's really no need for .45 Super.
I’m a 57 collector myself! There is only one model I don’t have yet the gen 2 iom tactical

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread has been quiet for a while.

I ordered a CMMG Banshee 300 9mm in late July and it may still be another month before they get around to building and shipping it. Sort of expensive but you get what you pay for. I also got a red dot sight, a flash hider, some pop-up iron sites, a sling and I forget what all else to put on it when it finally arrives. I also somehow found some subsonic 147 grain ammo that wasn't stupidly expensive. I like the idea of an AR9 / "pistol with a brace" as a personal defense gun. It won't be super accurate past 60 yards or so but that's not what it's for, it's for maneuvering in tight spaces and not over-penetrating and for being a lot of fun at the range.

View attachment 8736

In the mean time I got a Ruger 10/22 just to go plinking with as I had thousands of rounds of 22LR just sitting in the gun safe and ammo is so hard to come by these days. It's a really fun, accurate gun even with a cheap scope and there are places to go near Albuquerque where you can just go and shoot legally and the weather is rarely an issue.

Lately I've been obsessing about a full sized metal framed .45 acp just for the range, not as a carry or personal defense gun. I've researched dozens of pistols and handled a couple though most everything anyone could want is sold out every place. I love the Walther PPQ trigger and it fits in my hand like it was made for me but polymer guns all start to feel like they are a dime a dozen (not that I'd part with my CZ P10C).

What I've decided on is a full size 1911 with an adjustable rear site, fiber optic front site, front serrations, and checkering on the front and backstraps. I would cough up the dough for a Dan Wesson Pointman 45 if I could locate one. As a fallback option the Springfield Ronin would be more budget friendly but the two tone design evokes the '80s and not in a good way. Can't find one of these anyway. The DW is heirloom quality and will last a lifetime and beyond so it's my first choice.

View attachment 8735

If you’re still tossing ideas around for a 1911, have you thought about a 2011? I only ask because a 2011 is one of the next pistols clanging around in my head. I would like to buy the tooling and build my own from an 80% frame, maybe see if I can make it multi-caliber like my glock. I need a lot more time/money though for this to come to fruition.

I helped a friend mill an 80% ar-9 receiver a while ago and he just finished it, unfortunately with the ammo situation right now he can’t afford to shoot it...

I have the same receiver but I’m nowhere near assembling it. Someday...

If you have a nice stockpile of ammo try a Franklin binary trigger in it
A friend of mine has one of these. It’s awesome and a blast to shoot but it’s easy to blow through a million dollars of ammo in a single range trip. I’d like to have one but It’ll be a while. It’s easy enough to rapid-fire with even a slightly polished/modified trigger

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was on the fence about getting one in 5.7x28 because I was (and still am) a massive proponent of that cartridge. Wound up putting not doing it since I just couldn't convince myself that the 5.7x28 instead of .300 BLK was best in an AR pistol, and the options in .300 BLK are pretty endless. No complaints with the weapon itself though.

Have you thought a 10mm Banshee?

Are you talking about the .45 PPQ? Its a really nice gun. I'm a self-admitted HK snob and even I have to admit its zero dropoff from the HK45 to the PPQ with range ammo. The issues start when you move to .45 Super, but unless you're in bear country there's really no need for .45 Super.
Re 10mm Banshee: I'm kind of a 9mm guy for PD and I figure I can just use the same ammo in the Banshee as my compact carry pistol and subcompact if I ever decide to go concealed. Also ammo has gotten really expensive and I'm trying to stick with the cheaper stuff. I hear great things about the 10mm Banshee though.

Yes the .45 PPQ - I believe it's called the SD and has a threaded barrel for suppressor or linear compensator. Like all the other guns I'm interested in right now you can't find one anywhere. But it's still a carry gun and I think for my first .45 I just want a full frame, full size 5" barrel to minimize recoil and muzzle flip. It the Walthers ever become available again I still might get one down the road.

If I was in bear country for reals I might think about a revolver with 454 casull or 44 or 357. Funny when I was younger I went backpacking in grizzly country all the time without a gun and just decided to be thoughtful and accept the risk. Now I feel naked without one because I'm older and arthritic and don't feel so tough anymore :(

As for 5.7x28 I always wanted a PS90 but again, ammo budget is not unlimited.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Re 10mm Banshee: I'm kind of a 9mm guy for PD and I figure I can just use the same ammo in the Banshee as my compact carry pistol and subcompact if I ever decide to go concealed. Also ammo has gotten really expensive and I'm trying to stick with the cheaper stuff. I hear great things about the 10mm Banshee though.

Yes the .45 PPQ - I believe it's called the SD and has a threaded barrel for suppressor or linear compensator. Like all the other guns I'm interested in right now you can't find one anywhere. But it's still a carry gun and I think for my first .45 I just want a full frame, full size 5" barrel to minimize recoil and muzzle flip. It the Walthers ever become available again I still might get one down the road.

If I was in bear country for reals I might think about a revolver with 454 casull or 44 or 357. Funny when I was younger I went backpacking in grizzly country all the time without a gun and just decided to be thoughtful and accept the risk. Now I feel naked without one because I'm older and arthritic and don't feel so tough anymore :(

Cabela's has a .45 PPQ in Kalispell MT, you should see if you can arrange a store-to-store for it

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has anyone accessorized any guns with 3D printed parts? My short Xmas list this year is a 3D printer and I think it would be cool to print some stuff, some magazines and maybe a handguard

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Alright sorry, I got cut off before I could properly reply

With regards to the pistol caliber debates, especially as they pertain to grizzly country, I've got more than a couple reasons for .45 Super over 10mm or the revolver rounds. First off, the revolvers just aren't practical in 99% of carry situations anymore. I love shooting them and own more than a couple but really only my TRR8 will ever wind up holstered for anything other than range fun. The capacity and reload issues are just too big of a deal. The TRR8 would actually be a good option but .357 really isn't enough for grizzlies.

.45 Super compared to 10mm just has less snappiness and there are a lot of HK's that come in .45 that can handle .45 Super. Even the USP Compact will take it, only needing a replacement recoil spring. If HK made a USP or just fully new handgun in 10mm I'd consider it way more, but as it stands I'd rather have the USP or Mk23 than a Glock20 or Glock40, respectively. Glock29 has some intrigue but for a backwoods sidearm there's no need for a subcompact, I'd open carry the thing anyways. Worth noting that I carry spray first and would only ever shoot a bear if I knew it was down to me or the bear. Even then, I think I'd rather be mauled than deal with the park service after discharging a weapon in Glacier.

Let me know what you do with the PCC. Is it your first one? If all else fails they are an absolute blast to shoot. The Ruger is way better than most people give it credit for, its a takedown so you can stow it in a backpack and take it out for some plinking really easily. As far as home defense goes, specifically in 9mm, its almost impossible to beat the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 for the price if you ask me. Sure the SP5 (and that new SP5K!!! Holy shit) are way better, but they also are basically all gone from the shelves and if you can find them they cost upwards of $3000. IWI Tavor competes price-wise with the Banshee too, depends how you feel about bullpups (personally I love them).

Montana is a little bit of an exception to the ammo shortage. 9mm has always been decently available and 10mm is kept well stocked because its such a popular bear caliber. I'll say this about 10mm, out of a PCC its fucking perfect. The recoil snappiness and grip resets all go away. You can just lay down 10mm from a PCC length barrel all day. Like I said though, update the thread when you make your call.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Has anyone been able to find .223 for less than $.70 cpr? Most of the normal online guys wont sell to IL thanks to FOID, but local ranges and gun stores charge a ridiculous buck or more per round.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Has anyone been able to find .223 for less than $.70 cpr? Most of the normal online guys wont sell to IL thanks to FOID, but local ranges and gun stores charge a ridiculous buck or more per round.

Ammo prices are crazy right now.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

good luck hunting ammo. Your best bets are sgammo.com and look for deals on gun.deals

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
good luck hunting ammo. Your best bets are sgammo.com and look for deals on gun.deals

It's amazing that ammo mfr's. don't mass produce and stockpile it. Even if they have to store it, it has a long shelf life and they could make bank on it in times like this. Every few years there is a run on ammo.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yea you find it pretty routinely out here for the good ol prices. I bought a box of 5.56 green tips to shoot out of a friend's rifle last week for $8 per box of twenty. To be honest I'm not too cheesed on the cartridge, I sold my 5.56 uppers and switched to the 6.5 Grendel and .300AAC. Now I regret it, .300AAC and 5.7x28 are both impossible to find even out here.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off, the revolvers just aren't practical in 99% of carry situations anymore.

Sorry my friend.. I have to respectfully disagree on this.

For the average person wanting personal protection, a revolver is the safest choice.

I'm not talking about gun enthusiasts like we are, but I mean the average man or woman who wants a personal protection weapon.. People who don't go to the range weekly, but carry a weapon "Just In Case" and don't want to have to remember the following.
1..Do I have the safety on or off?
2...Did I load one in the chamber or not?

The beauty of revolvers is that you grab it, point, and shoot.. No Worries!

I am a gun nut, and occasionally even I have to take my Beretta .40 out and review my settings..

Revolvers are proven to be safe and reliable when that moment comes, not to mention easily concealable, never under estimate them.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The problem I have with ammofinder websites is they won’t sell to IL without a massive amount of documentation - it’s never just your FOID they want drivers license , social security, deed to your house, nudes of your wife, etc. before you become verified and they are willing to ship.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Man that blows. Guess that’s what’s to look forward to when the communists rule the state. Being in Michigan there is always a 50-50 chance of that crap happening

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Sorry my friend.. I have to respectfully disagree on this.

For the average person wanting personal protection, a revolver is the safest choice.

I'm not talking about gun enthusiasts like we are, but I mean the average man or woman who wants a personal protection weapon.. People who don't go to the range weekly, but carry a weapon "Just In Case" and don't want to have to remember the following.
1..Do I have the safety on or off?
2...Did I load one in the chamber or not?

The beauty of revolvers is that you grab it, point, and shoot.. No Worries!

I am a gun nut, and occasionally even I have to take my Beretta .40 out and review my settings..

Revolvers are proven to be safe and reliable when that moment comes, not to mention easily concealable, never under estimate them.
If we are talking novices revolvers carry a ton of risk with them due to inexperience or lack of knowledge. Plenty of people dont know how important features like transfer bars or other safety mechanisms that allow them to safely keep a round in the chamber behind the hammer while holstered. So that means they are essentially pointing a live .38 at their femoral artery (or worse yet if they are appendix carrying...) that can go off at almost any time. These features are fairly common these days but for a novice buyer who doesn't know what to look for? Its a massive risk.

Then there's the issue of DA/SA and the varying length of pulls, the low capacity in most revolvers, the fact that .38 is pretty anemic compared to 9mm...there's just not a lot of great reasons for it. There are some cases where revolvers are really necessary like if you feel that something will obstruct the slide and cause a failure to feed (common in SWAT teams with shields, the slide doesn't rack fully before hitting the shield and a jam ensues) but for civilian carry there are very few instances where that's a reasonable concern. GIGN still uses Manuhrin MR73's for largely this reason.

Meanwhile striker fired 9mm are very simple. They dont even require a toggle safety. The one hazard with them is de-cocking is nowhere near as safe as with a DA/SA autoloader or revolver. Then there's the advantage of seventeen round magazines of easily manageable 9mm.

I actually am not a tremendous fan of striker-fired autoloaders myself but for new-gun owners looking to carry for self defense they really are the best option.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we are talking novices revolvers carry a ton of risk with them due to inexperience or lack of knowledge. Plenty of people dont know how important features like transfer bars or other safety mechanisms that allow them to safely keep a round in the chamber behind the hammer while holstered. So that means they are essentially pointing a live .38 at their femoral artery (or worse yet if they are appendix carrying...) that can go off at almost any time. These features are fairly common these days but for a novice buyer who doesn't know what to look for? Its a massive risk.

Then there's the issue of DA/SA and the varying length of pulls, the low capacity in most revolvers, the fact that .38 is pretty anemic compared to 9mm...there's just not a lot of great reasons for it. There are some cases where revolvers are really necessary like if you feel that something will obstruct the slide and cause a failure to feed (common in SWAT teams with shields, the slide doesn't rack fully before hitting the shield and a jam ensues) but for civilian carry there are very few instances where that's a reasonable concern. GIGN still uses Manuhrin MR73's for largely this reason.

Meanwhile striker fired 9mm are very simple. They dont even require a toggle safety. The one hazard with them is de-cocking is nowhere near as safe as with a DA/SA autoloader or revolver. Then there's the advantage of seventeen round magazines of easily manageable 9mm.

I actually am not a tremendous fan of striker-fired autoloaders myself but for new-gun owners looking to carry for self defense they really are the best option.

You are over analyzing. Revolvers are simple

Revolver= Point and shoot..NO RISK

The risks you claim revolvers have are magnified 100x with semi autos

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You are over analyzing. Revolvers are simple

Revolver= Point and shoot..NO RISK

The risks you claim revolvers have are magnified 100x with semi autos
Not really. You are absolutely safe to carry a round chambered in a striker fired pistol, you're even safe to have a round chambered and the firing pin cocked in a striker fired pistol. This applies to lesser extent even to DA/SA autoloaders, though I think its safer to just train for the double action pull rather than carry with a cocked hammer so that's what I do.

Revolvers without a transfer bar (or similar device) and simply not safe to carry with the hammer behind a loaded chamber. Its not. Now there are many revolvers these days that come with those devices but a novice buyer is unlikely to recognize that without informed council.

I own a lot of revolvers. I am particularly fond of old SA types, I think they are a tremendous amount of fun and perhaps the best platform for a brand-new shooter to learn on because it displays the entire mechanism of a firearm in plain sight. But for novice ownership? Too niche and not up to par for self defense compared to the modern subcompact polymer lower 9mm striker fired pistols.