Guys, Fields honestly was not good

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, coming back and playing well is a good thing. And saving your best performance for last is great as long as the overall performance is enough to win. But the point is that if the first half is bad enough, there is a good chance that the deficit will often be too large to overcome. So we can't have too many of these types of first halves. As Bears fans, we have seen our fair share of dismal performances where we had like 20 total yards at half time.

For an extreme example, I think everyone knew that while Tebow was great during the last drive of a game, and lead his team to victory a handful of times during that 2011 season... that in reality it was not sustainable. Because his overall performance was not good enough to win and it was going to catch up with them. No matter how great of a leader he was, putting up 10 points a game even if they were all in the last 4 minutes of the game, was not going to cut it.

Justin Fields is not Tebow. He has more QB ability in just about all aspects. And he already is producing more than him. But even still, completing less than 50 percent of your passes for 121 yards is not going to win most games.

And again, he gets a pass because of the weather. And because it was the first game in a new system. But going forward, the overall production has to be better. You and I both know this.

This is just a silly take give the conditions. We aren't talking about him sucking and then putting it together under normal circumstances. We are talking about him doing it in a rain storm. The time to make this point is when he struggles under normal weather conditions. Doing it given these conditions just comes off as whining.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine cunting about a qb throwing a 51 yard td pass because it was too “easy”.. rewatch it. It’s an amazing play

:jonesy:
Lol he dodged an unblocked defender, ran to his left, scanned the field and perfectly placed the ball.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Last edited:

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Yes, coming back and playing well is a good thing. And saving your best performance for last is great as long as the overall performance is enough to win. But the point is that if the first half is bad enough, there is a good chance that the deficit will often be too large to overcome. So we can't have too many of these types of first halves. As Bears fans, we have seen our fair share of dismal performances where we had like 20 total yards at half time.

For an extreme example, I think everyone knew that while Tebow was great during the last drive of a game, and lead his team to victory a handful of times during that 2011 season... that in reality it was not sustainable. Because his overall performance was not good enough to win and it was going to catch up with them. No matter how great of a leader he was, putting up 10 points a game even if they were all in the last 4 minutes of the game, was not going to cut it.

Justin Fields is not Tebow. He has more QB ability in just about all aspects. And he already is producing more than him. But even still, completing less than 50 percent of your passes for 121 yards is not going to win most games.

And again, he gets a pass because of the weather. And because it was the first game in a new system. But going forward, the overall production has to be better. You and I both know this.

What were you expecting from Fields and the offense in the first half in that terrible weather? Yes, the weather was not as bad as the end of the game, but they were still running around in a couple of inches of water. That negates the speed of the Bears WR hence the absence of Mooney. Even a super bowl contender like the 9ers with probowlers on their team managed a whole 7 points.

So what were you expecting the Bears to do in that first half? Score 2 or more TDs? They would've scored 3 points to the 9ers' 7 if it wasn't for an obscure penalty. The Bears offense showed you what they're capable of in the 3rd and 4th quarter if weather wasn't too much of a factor by scoring 19 (should've been 21) points. League average points/game is 24. They almost got that in less than a half.

You keep saying Fields gets a pass because of the weather and then go on to say he has to perform better. Doesn't that defeat the fact that you're giving him a pass? That's like telling a student he gets a pass for a low test score for being in a car accident but then following that up with "but you need to score higher on future tests than the one you just took coming from a car accident." Well duh? Do you realize you're contradicting yourself? Does he get a pass or not?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
A lot of the first half was game plan to keep it close and be conservative.

Bend don’t break. Waste time early committing to the run. Etc..

They were playing a highly superior team on paper outside of QB in shitty weather.

Having said that, still a bit concerned.

Teams will stack the box, and double Mooney.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Rodgers threw the same pass as Fields’ first TD, it’s the best play of the week. Fields will have to live with a broken play TD for now.
Yeah, the team who’s play broke down, was the Bears. It wasn’t a breakdown by the Niners. That throw is not supposed to happen.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

They were playing a highly superior team on paper outside of QB in shitty weather.

Ok. But if they do, Fields will still have the legs to extend the play, and the arm to hit the receiver downfield, that breaks through.

Fields was the most effective Rusher on the Bears while they were still trailing. Mooney was a non factor as well.

Yet with all that the Bears still were in legitimate position to score 24 points this game (the bizarre towel penalty knocking Santos out of FG range, and 2 missed extra points, due to being kicked out of puddles.)

So teams will adjust, but playmakers make plays.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m just glad that Fields didn’t get any of his skill position players killed while playing streetball. Playing football on the Dan Ryan Expressway isn’t the least bit safe but Fields was able to keep his teammates out of harm’s way. What a swell guy.

Bust

Liked Posts:
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.

Burrow threw 4 picks today in far better weather.

just sayin

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I said during the offseason—and I’ll stick with it until hopefully proven otherwise—that Fields doesn’t appear to be a transcendent talent that can lift all boats, and that I’d be surprised if he’s ever a star. I also noted that that’s O.K. You can still be a pretty darn good quarterback and win a Super Bowl even if you’re not a top QB.

The right coaches and talent around you can make a big difference, and hopefully that’s what the Bears progress toward over the next several years.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Double Mooney?

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll be fine. I was at the game. It was POURING. Couldn't get a grip on shit. You could put some of the best talent on the field from all over the NFL and you'd still get the same game, perhaps more highlights. If there's any concern, it's the run game as the weather called for a run game. Regardless, it will be fine and we will see what's up next week against Green Bay.

1-0 is still 1-0 and Green Bay is 0-1.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

88% PBWR I don't need this I know how to study film and what to look for in pass pro schemes.

I said I was told the protection wasn't good in the 1st half. >>>>#93
@0:42 it's a 4 man rush vs 5. Don't tell me ya can't get up to 4 seconds of pass pro (I've had personal experience with a 4 vs 5 pass pro, so I know. You've never played FBall or Qb so I doubt u know ) The pocket collapsed @0:42. But JF bought time for the wr's.

@0:03 the pocket again collapses vs just a 4man rush vs 5 man pass pro.
@3:05......again 4 man rush vs 5 pass pro and the RE makes a beeline to JF UN-BLOCKED.
@3:37 'chip bloc' by the back. Again 4 man rush vs 5 pass pro. Let's not even talk about the opponent bringing a 5-6 man blitz package.

This OL can't even 5 man pass pro vs just 4 rushers ( lucky we have a Qb like JF, who can extend plays.) I'm done here. But I know u want the last word, so go ahead.

Correct 6min video here

Highlights: Bears vs. 49ers | 2022 Week 1​

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj-7r7Tpo76AhWFg4kEHT6YC0EQwqsBegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagobears.com%2Fvideo%2Fhighlights-bears-vs-49ers-2022-week-1&usg=AOvVaw2jzMtT06coBdlI2NtFESlj

MY BAD it was @4:23 where the DT got pass the Right Guard NOT @1:23

You are being dense. No one said you cant get 4 seconds in pass pro. The point is if the OL gives you 4 seconds before you get pressured then that is on the QB as the ball is supposed to be out. No scheme expects a QB to wait 4 seconds before getting rid of the ball. The play design is for someone to be open before that.

0:03 - Fields reaches end of drop and looks to throw but hesistates. The ball has to go out on time.

3:05 - It is a naked bootleg dummy, the TE isnt supposed to block him as the play design is such that the DE is supposed to be fooled by the play action. He wasnt. You claim you know football but dont understand what a naked bootleg is? The OL is not at fault on that play.

3:42 - Again Fields has about 3.5 seconds to throw before pocket collapses. The issue is WRs are not open initially.

So again you did not watch the first half so your friends are wrong. The protection was generally fine. As someone who actually watched the first half, he was holding the ball a tad too long. In the 2nd half once he got to end of drop and he didnt see anyone open he scrambled.

P.S. I played S in college albeit JV so dont presume to know my football experience. I missed walking on to varsity due to a knee injury and ultimately gave up playing.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are being dense. No one said you cant get 4 seconds in pass pro. The point is if the OL gives you 4 seconds before you get pressured then that is on the QB as the ball is supposed to be out. No scheme expects a QB to wait 4 seconds before getting rid of the ball. The play design is for someone to be open before that.

0:03 - Fields reaches end of drop and looks to throw but hesistates. The ball has to go out on time.

3:05 - It is a naked bootleg dummy, the TE isnt supposed to block him as the play design is such that the DE is supposed to be fooled by the play action. He wasnt. You claim you know football but dont understand what a naked bootleg is? The OL is not at fault on that play.

3:42 - Again Fields has about 3.5 seconds to throw before pocket collapses. The issue is WRs are not open initially.

So again you did not watch the first half so your friends are wrong. The protection was generally fine. As someone who actually watched the first half, he was holding the ball a tad too long. In the 2nd half once he got to end of drop and he didnt see anyone open he scrambled.

P.S. I played S in college albeit JV so dont presume to know my football experience. I missed walking on to varsity due to a knee injury and ultimately gave up playing.
I think it is a combo of three things, inconsistent pocket, WR aren't getting separation and Fields holding on to the ball too long. This 'he doesn't go through his progressions' is nonsense. You can see him doing it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it is a combo of three things, inconsistent pocket, WR aren't getting separation and Fields holding on to the ball too long. This 'he doesn't go through his progressions' is nonsense. You can see him doing it.

Generally yes but pocket was fine for the most part yesterday in particular.

And yes he was going thru progressions. My sense is bigger issue was WRs were struggling to get open but will need All 22 to confirm for sure.

Also think Getsy needs to scheme more touches for Mooney. His one catch was on the WR bubble screen but they could have done more of that. Teams will double or play a S over the top of Mooney so will have to prove we can adjust to that.

Deebo had maybe one or 2 traditional catches and the rest were runs, screens and short passes. Need to see more of that with Mooney and VJJ when he comes back. Moonry did score a TD on a screen against this same team last year and also has a TD on a jet sweep in another game.

This team also has to stress the D with more more designed QB runs and options. This team isnt good enough to not do so.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Generally yes but pocket was fine for the most part yesterday in particular.

And yes he was going thru progressions. My sense is bigger issue was WRs were struggling to get open but will need All 22 to confirm for sure.

Also think Getsy needs to scheme more touches for Mooney. His one catch was on the WR bubble screen but they could have done more of that. Teams will double or play a S over the top of Mooney so will have to prove we can adjust to that.

Deebo had maybe one or 2 traditional catches and the rest were runs, screens and short passes. Need to see more of that with Mooney and VJJ when he comes back. Moonry did score a TD on a screen against this same team last year and also has a TD on a jet sweep in another game.

This team also has to stress the D with more more designed QB runs and options. This team isnt good enough to not do so.
There were a lot of things that could be done better, but I think we also need to compare this win to the loss against SF last year. Even though the conditions yesterday were goddamn awful, our offense looked much better in a lot of small areas that led to a tough win against a much better team. The only major difference between this year's 49ers and last year is at quarterback, but even then with the sloppy field conditions Lance should have been able to make more plays outside of the design like Fields did.

This is an improving team, it is a process and while Week 1 was a hard win, it wasnt a hard-to-watch win. We got ours this week and it was entirely due to Fields taking advantage of what little he could against a playoff caliber team.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
You guys think that Burrow held onto the ball too long or didn't read the defense on any of his 4 picks yesterday? It'sattributerd to being a gunslinger or having "moxy" when you're a certain... hue. When you're on the other end of the spectrum, you're considered to be a dummy and need things make easier for you. Some things never change.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Bears lose this game without Fields. ?‍♂️
THIS^

Plus, in the first half, Fields had no help from his Oline and his receivers were not getting separation -- seems we have heard that before (last year! duh) but those areas were letting him down once again. Getsy made half time adjustments, schemed up ways to take pressure off the Oline, the Oline played better in the second half, receivers started getting more separation, offense developed a rhythm, then... BOOM! - game winning, game changing plays!

Plus, it was an ugly game in heavy football/slippery football conditions. If you have ever played football in the rain, the football seems to weigh 20 more pounds. Its not that much more but it sure feels that way. Moreover, Fields even wore gloves for the first time I can recall as a Bear. That may have effected him some. Against that team, in those conditions, this was not going to be a high scoring game by us. This was an old school game, Bear Weather grit it out/tough it out/gut it out game. Fields did that.

Bottom line -- without Fields, we don't win.