Guys, Fields honestly was not good

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder how much of that was protecting Braxton in his first game. Really hope there was a "reason" for it.
They covered that, they can't control where Bosa lines up. With regards to the wet ball, Fields said he tired with and without gloves and it was hit/miss grip wise and depended on where he was on the field., some spots were a lot wetter than others. Re: The INT, he broke the play down and said he should have checked down to kmet.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.

I love when posters refer to black QB’s scrambling under constant pressure as “backyard football.”
the racists just can’t help themselves

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So what are all the resident QB expert takes on Lance who looked objectively worse with a far superior supporting cast? Bust? Irredeemable? How many weeks does he get relative to Fields before he should be given up on?

Spoiler: after reading this and the other Fields thread, I don’t actually care what your trash opinion is.
Lance did not look worse but objectively played worse. He looked more accurate and composed than expected. Made a couple bad reads.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.

Wrong. He looked bad in one half. The other half he looked pretty damn good. He made plays when they needed to be made, and the dude is deadly whenever he's on the move. It's always weird how posters want to hold his strengths against him.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of the 17 QB's that played in the early games, only 7 had a better QB rating than Fields. So, no not great. But better than Burrows, Trubisky, Stafford, Hurts, Goff, Flacco, Lawrence, Mayfield, Ryan, and Mariotta.
5 turnovers by Burrow and they would have won if their kicker didn't miss about 3 FGs in a row including PAT that would have ended it in regulation.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Interesting, last year you determined him by wins and yards but now….
It will be whatever it is that he didnt do that week.
Would the posters who keep claiming he is missing all of these open receivers please point to all of the open receivers? thanks
I've asked this in response to multiple posters in multiple threads and haven't received a reply. I guess we'll chalk this up to more talking out of the ass, a Bears fan specialty.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It will be whatever it is that he didnt do that week.

I've asked this in response to multiple posters in multiple threads and haven't received a reply. I guess we'll chalk this up to more talking out of the ass, a Bears fan specialty.
Racists are just gonna be racist like the OP

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
The scramble throw to Pettis was a great play. That’s the Aaron Rodgers shit that ruins my week, and we have a QB doing it to our opponent. It feels good. I’ll take that and keep rolling with Fields. No fumbles today, in shitty conditions. Another good thing.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wrong. He looked bad in one half. The other half he looked pretty damn good. He made plays when they needed to be made, and the dude is deadly whenever he's on the move. It's always weird how posters want to hold his strengths against him.
its almost as if terrible weather conditions can affect the offense’s ability to move the ball!

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
He completed 8 passes. 1 for 51 yards and a TD. Another one for 18 yards and a TD. Another one for 22 yards. Another one for 18 yards. Another for 16 yards. The rest were 3 passes that went for less than 10 yards. That’s 5 of his passes that went over 15 yards. That freaking great for just 8 passes completed. Now he has to work on getting these plays throughout the game. But not too shabby considering it was his first game in the season on a new system and it was pouring cats and dogs out there. Plus the receivers weren’t getting separation the 1st half.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watched it again. Think he was fine given the conditions. He held the ball too long but mainly because guys were not open. He actually did go thru progressions but thought issue was once no one was open he sat there instead of getting on the move.

What changed in the 2nd half is he went thru reads and then moved the pocket if nothing was there initially buying time for the big play. Playcalling in first half was also trash and I kept screaming for them to do more QB runs and move the pocket. They were ultraconservative.

Still a lot to clean up and that Int was just trash but made the plays he had to in order to win.
Exactly. I'm looking FW

I was impressed with his composure in the 2nd half. They just beat the 49ers... what's with the negativity??
Bears fans need unrealistic levels of insanely good before they can feel comfortable drinking the Kool-Aid. Been teased with a good time & burned far too many times.

He was running for his life half the damn game. Jesus.
Mustipher starting was a MAJOR detriment to the offense. Saw his guy in the backfield all too often. No push or consistent protection.

No it isnt out. I watched a replay and saw where he was scaning the field and did not appear guys were open.

All 22 comes out on Tuesdays.
I look FW to hearing what the coaches & film reviewers say with this in hand. It really seemed like WRs just weren't getting open in these conditions. When strong cuts are needed, how could they? Routes had to be rounded out a LOT to change directions in that slop.

SF certainly adjusted to the conditions MUCH better and earlier. This also hurt the run game where it seemed the Bears OL built for speed could not use it, and it was a wet mauler-fest...which Bears did NOT win. I'm concerned that Getsy kept stubbornly running into a wall of guys that weren't being blocked. Also didn't pick up the blitzes very well.

Fields started buying a lot more time for himself where previous Bears' QBs would've taken a ton more sacks.

Regardless of the work to do & improvements needed, I'm still pumped as hell they pulled this one out. Hope the conditions are reasonable in GB next Sunday.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So context doesn’t matter I guess. The conditions and field, were insanely bad. He’s playing behind a line made of kids, against a niners D that made Aaron Rodgers look pedestrian, and who could only lead his team to a paltry 10 points.

He only had a slight window where the weather ONLY sucked, and he took the opportunity to make BIG plays.

All things considered, I think it was a solid performance. Certainly a gutsy one, in circumstances where he EASILY could’ve packed it in. If this was a game played by say Elway, in the 80’s or 90’s, it would’ve been considered one of his classics.

There’s a LOT of QBs currently in the NFL, that would’ve given up today.