Guys, Fields honestly was not good

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You guys think that Burrow held onto the ball too long or didn't read the defense on any of his 4 picks yesterday? It'sattributerd to being a gunslinger or having "moxy" when you're a certain... hue. When you're on the other end of the spectrum, you're considered to be a dummy and need things make easier for you. Some things never change.

Burrow was terrible yesterday but he has a track record as does Mahomes or Russ.

There is certainly a different narrative at times between black and white QBs bot not sure that is the issue here.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately it's always an issue. That's why Justin has to break down every single route combination vs. Defense he was facing in the post game pressers... so people understand that he knows football. If he were Trevor Lawrence he wouldn't have to do that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Burrow was terrible yesterday but he has a track record as does Mahomes or Russ.

There is certainly a different narrative at times between black and white QBs bot not sure that is the issue here.
Mahomes had a horrible game against Tampa in the SB and got nothing but accolades for doing as much as he did with that much pressure. I'm sure that there were those that took a racial view of that but it certainly wasn't the theme.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What were you expecting from Fields and the offense in the first half in that terrible weather? Yes, the weather was not as bad as the end of the game, but they were still running around in a couple of inches of water. That negates the speed of the Bears WR hence the absence of Mooney. Even a super bowl contender like the 9ers with probowlers on their team managed a whole 7 points.

So what were you expecting the Bears to do in that first half? Score 2 or more TDs? They would've scored 3 points to the 9ers' 7 if it wasn't for an obscure penalty. The Bears offense showed you what they're capable of in the 3rd and 4th quarter if weather wasn't too much of a factor by scoring 19 (should've been 21) points. League average points/game is 24. They almost got that in less than a half.

You keep saying Fields gets a pass because of the weather and then go on to say he has to perform better. Doesn't that defeat the fact that you're giving him a pass? That's like telling a student he gets a pass for a low test score for being in a car accident but then following that up with "but you need to score higher on future tests than the one you just took coming from a car accident." Well duh? Do you realize you're contradicting yourself? Does he get a pass or not?
A student that was in a car accident and could not take the exam WOULD get a pass. And then when it was time to take a make-up exam, they WOULD have to show they knew the material. That's not a contradiction. Not sure why this concept is so confusing for everyone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unfortunately it's always an issue. That's why Justin has to break down every single route combination vs. Defense he was facing in the post game pressers... so people understand that he knows football. If he were Trevor Lawrence he wouldn't have to do that.
He chooses to do that. He don't have to do jack. Right now, that aspect of a new O is paramount in his thought process and it's showing up in interviews.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Uh... Trevor Lawrence has been criticized for his poor play as much as Fields. We just don't hear about it or don't care to hear about it because he is on the Jaguars.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Think Burrow is getting cocky, if the Steelers had a decent QB that game would have been a blowout

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He chooses to do that. He don't have to do jack. Right now, that aspect of a new O is paramount in his thought process and it's showing up in interviews.
I feel what Tony is talking about

Lamar is a running back
Kyler needs a homework clause
Fields can’t read a defense

Unfortunately there are other examples when it comes to black QBs that are present and past

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Lamar is a running back

Unfortunately there are other examples when it comes to black QBs that are present and past
We need to stop pretending there is an issue with black QBs reading defenses. And with that, we also need to stop assuming that a QB has to be some academic scholar to read defenses. Craig Krenzel was a freaking biologist and he couldn't read defenses for shit.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Lamar is a running back

I get that part and do agree but Fields isn't doing that because he's Black. That's reading in when it's not the case. I do understand it's different for some Black QBs that aren't pocket passers and dislike the rep some get but QBs go under the microscope. Allen got a lot of that crap until he figured it out. Difference is now he gets praised for for running so that's may have some race involved. Wentz is an idiot. I still think Stafford plays like a dope. Cousins is a wuss etc, etc.

By the way, I liked what I saw from Lance yesterday. Yah, he made some critical errors but he had good pocket awareness and showed his intermediate arm more accurate than given credit for. Looks like he's doing a good job acclimating for as little as he's played. Sky's the limit but who knows this early. The pics were more like growing pains than idiot throws.

All that said. Why bring race into a postgame with Fields?

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Uh... Trevor Lawrence has been criticized for his poor play as much as Fields. We just don't hear about it or don't care to hear about it because he is on the Jaguars.

Terrible example as in this case Fields took the exam and passed with less tools than the other guy taking the exam with him. There is nothing to give Fields a pass for. Fields faced a better defense with worse tools than Lance and was the better QB on the Field. We have no idea how any other QB would have played in those conditions. We just know how Fields and Lance played and Fields was better.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Lamar is a running back

Most of the talk about Fields is about his weapons and OL. There really hasn't been a ton of criticism regarding his ability to read defenses this year. He was criticized about it last year because it was true.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
By the way, I liked what I saw from Lance yesterday. Yah, he made some critical errors but he had good pocket awareness and showed his intermediate arm more accurate than given credit for. Looks like he's doing a good job acclimating for as little as he's played. Sky's the limit but who knows this early. The pics were more like growing pains than idiot throws.

All that said. Why bring race into a postgame with Fields?

Lance should have buried the Bears before halftime. I think his big issue is he is inconsistent throwing in tighter windows. If you watch his throws yesterday they were all to wide open targets. He had one throw he squeezed in late but for the most part he seemed hesitant to throw in tighter windows.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lance should have buried the Bears before halftime. I think his big issue is he is inconsistent throwing in tighter windows. If you watch his throws yesterday they were all to wide open targets. He had one throw he squeezed in late but for the most part he seemed hesitant to throw in tighter windows.
I don't disagree but a lot of those were under pressure too. It's early for him. I see a guy that isn't overwhelmed, has the chops and more pocket awareness than he should at this point in his development. How he ends up is still up for debate but I wouldn't be too upset with the errors if I were a 9ers fan.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Terrible example as in this case Fields took the exam and passed with less tools than the other guy taking the exam with him. There is nothing to give Fields a pass for. Fields faced a better defense with worse tools than Lance and was the better QB on the Field. We have no idea how any other QB would have played in those conditions. We just know how Fields and Lance played and Fields was better.
Fields being better than Lance is irrelevant. Lance is not a franchise level quarterback. Atleast not yet. He is basically a rookie with his very limited game experience last year.

We want Fields to be a franchise level QB at the end of this year.

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
I thought Lance had a way better first half. He had a nice throw towards the left sideline where he dropped it between a couple of defenders. He was dangerous in the run game, the tough run on 3rd and 13 to gain the first with his shoulder was a good play for Lance. He was off target a bunch though too. By the time Lance threw the pick to Eddie Jackson, the entire complexion of the game had changed and Fields was making things happen. At the end of the game, yes, Fields was the better QB against a tougher defense with a worse supporting cast. There's really no arguing it. Certainly I was feeling like Lance was the better QB at halftime though. Things really couldn't have gone much worse for Fields in the first half, but he is a gamer.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yup. Even then, we see what posters like @Black Rainbow do after they guy actually wins in an upset. "Bears won because of DBs. Fields doesn't play better than this, he's going to be replaced next year" SMH.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said during the offseason—and I’ll stick with it until hopefully proven otherwise—that Fields doesn’t appear to be a transcendent talent that can lift all boats, and that I’d be surprised if he’s ever a star. I also noted that that’s O.K. You can still be a pretty darn good quarterback and win a Super Bowl even if you’re not a top QB.

The right coaches and talent around you can make a big difference, and hopefully that’s what the Bears progress toward over the next several years.
IDK. I mean, elite? HOF? No, I don't see that. But I think he can be more than average. I think he can win games. Top 12 QBs? IDK, maybe. Top 24? I think so, for sure. He has a lot of upside. With some elite WR/OL talent in the draft/FA next year, more upside as well.