Guys, Fields honestly was not good

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
One thing I noticed he has to improve is not shriveling up when pressure comes. Sometimes he prematurely adjusts for a hit well before it’s even coming. You see him prepare his body by covering the ball and sort of tightening his body getting ready for a big hit. But he should be looking to avoid the pressure. His timing is off. It’s really a smaller part of his biggest problem. He doesn’t make good decisions under pressure and he gets fluttery. I’ve seen this same thing happen over and over. He starts to throw, feels pressure, pulls the ball down and goes into almost like a fetal position preparing his body for a hit. But the hit isn’t even coming for another second or two. So he‘s just standing there hunched over waiting to get hit. When instead he should be trying to get out of the pressure. It’s a bigger indicator that his mental clock and field vision is off. I don’t know how you improve that. I’m sure time will help. Game reps. Doing it over and over. it is something I notice pretty much every game though.

Liked Posts:
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.

You mention the 49ers great defense right away as sort of a preemptive measure, to almost sidestep the matter and lend it little credence.

They were number 1 against the pass, they were number 1 against the run, and the only defense that ranked top 10 in both categories.

They're arguably the number 1 defense in the league. Outside of a few elite QBs, QBs usually don't look good against that type of defensive unit., & even the elite QBs often struggle against a top unit like that.

It would be one thing if it were a weak opponent that Fields was able to play against to any degree in week 1 to get in a bit of a groove, then play a tough unit like SF in week 2.

Field's was thrown into the fire first game of the season and did the opposite of the last regime. They found a way to win instead of lose.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
One thing I noticed he has to improve is not shriveling up when pressure comes. Sometimes he prematurely adjusts for a hit well before it’s even coming. You see him prepare his body by covering the ball and sort of tightening his body getting ready for a big hit. But he should be looking to avoid the pressure. His timing is off. It’s really a smaller part of his biggest problem. He doesn’t make good decisions under pressure and he gets fluttery. I’ve seen this same thing happen over and over. He starts to throw, feels pressure, pulls the ball down and goes into almost like a fetal position preparing his body for a hit. But the hit isn’t even coming for another second or two. So he‘s just standing there hunched over waiting to get hit. When instead he should be trying to get out of the pressure. It’s a bigger indicator that his mental clock and field vision is off. I don’t know how you improve that. I’m sure time will help. Game reps. Doing it over and over. it is something I notice pretty much every game though.

Good 5man pass pro vs just 4 rushers will help JF tremendously.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As Bears fans I have seen us complain that our QBs would either over throw or not even see guys wide open, now we have a QB that hit those plays. Then he gets shit on cause its an "easy" throw.

Nothing is ever good enough for some people....

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Again if you dont like the vortex then move on. Otherwise crying about it while still making this stupid point makes no sense.

It was a great scramble and throw. You still have not provided a single video proving how most QBs can make that play. Let's revisit when you have evidence other than your emo fascination with nitpicking Fields because Mitch was a failure.
Well we could also say the same thing to you.. I have been talking specifically about the throw and not the whole play. If you dont want to talk about just the throw you can always move on as well. Nobody is forcing you to reply to a topic that you dont want to discuss. I'm sure there is plenty of people here that would love to talk about his scrambling ability

Why would I provide videos of something I'm not talking about? If i wanted to waste my time I guess I could try and find videos of QBs throwing the ball to a stationary target that has no defenders anywhere near them.. but what would be the point? I'm sure you would complain the video didnt have the QB evading pressure, then I would explain for the 12th time I'm just talking about the actual throw and not the entire play.. then you will vortex something else.. It all seems like a waste of time knowing how you "debate"

Nope I remember you defending Mitch his last year saying if you were his agent you would tell him not to play after he was benched because Nagy hurt his feelings by benching him.

I said that he got lucky and if he kept playing his "stock would drop" not exactly a ringing endorsement there. And furthermore the whole point of that thread was to have Mitch never play another down for the Bears again. So the best you can come up with me being a "Mitch homer" is me wanting him to never play another down for the Bears and end up off this team? lol you didnt really put any thought into it did you?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
JV at UNC and u don't see when pockets immediately collapse. JV Safety at UNC but u could've stepped up to varsity had u not been injured.....right? We're u that good to have played on varsity if not for the injury? Just curious

Sigh.......
I've addressed that other stuff ad nauseam. I don't care what PBWR PFF says. I can see the pocket COLLAPSING on JF.

AGAIN...... Here's the focus. YOU keep avoiding.......
The over riding fact is our OL 5man pass pro has trouble vs just a 4 man rush. As a result, JF does not consistently have time to set up in the pocket and scan the field before the pocket collapses.

STOP the red herrings, straw-manning & running from the original focus above. Cause it's not going away.

-------------

You admitted you didn't watch the first half. Did you watch the entirety of the first half now? What percentage of pass plays did the pocket collapse? Why is it that PFF, ESPN, and JT apparently did not see what you saw? Do you have some eye for OL play that no one else has?

No one can trust what you saw because you don't seem to know that on a naked bootleg, the DE is supposed to be unblocked. So what you see is unreliable. You seem to blame the OL for things that are not their fault.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well we could also say the same thing to you.. I have been talking specifically about the throw and not the whole play. If you dont want to talk about just the throw you can always move on as well. Nobody is forcing you to reply to a topic that you dont want to discuss. I'm sure there is plenty of people here that would love to talk about his scrambling ability

Why would I provide videos of something I'm not talking about? If i wanted to waste my time I guess I could try and find videos of QBs throwing the ball to a stationary target that has no defenders anywhere near them.. but what would be the point? I'm sure you would complain the video didnt have the QB evading pressure, then I would explain for the 12th time I'm just talking about the actual throw and not the entire play.. then you will vortex something else.. It all seems like a waste of time knowing how you "debate"

I said that he got lucky and if he kept playing his "stock would drop" not exactly a ringing endorsement there. And furthermore the whole point of that thread was to have Mitch never play another down for the Bears again. So the best you can come up with me being a "Mitch homer" is me wanting him to never play another down for the Bears and end up off this team? lol you didnt really put any thought into it did you?

Umm no we can't. I haven't been complaining about the vortex. You have. I am simply saying your point is a stupid and meaningless point. By your logic 90% of QB throws can be made by any other QB. If you stupidly ignore everything that goes into a throw and you just have a QB stand in one spot and a WR in another then Tim Tebow can make every throw. But that is again an entirely stupid way to evaluate a player. But you are well within your rights to make entirely stupid points. Even the most inaccurate and useless QB can if you have him stationary and with no pressure throw a ball to a WR. What great insight you are providing.

You were being stupid yet again in that thread about Trubisky. It was a completely ridiculous and meaningless point just like your point here is. You love these stupid hypotheticals that don't exist in reality as in reality no one would advise Trubisky to do what you were suggesting. It was asinine.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The only way to actually fix the problem is for Fields to learn how to manipulate the pocket. All a good pass pro would mean is that he doesn't have to manipulate the pocket or develop great pocket awareness because the OL would not get tight on him. They would be stopping rushers from getting too close to him so he wouldn't need to learn now to navigate the pocket as much.

Fields has things to work on independent of the players around him. Better pocket awareness is one of them.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Well we could also say the same thing to you.. I have been talking specifically about the throw and not the whole play. If you dont want to talk about just the throw
Out of curiosity, why are you hung up on the throw?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Umm no we can't. I haven't been complaining about the vortex. You have. I am simply saying your point is a stupid and meaningless point.
I'm not complaining about your vortex, more making fun of you because of your vortex. You're normally a pretty intelligent poster up until the point you know you are wrong or made a mistake and then you have some strange compulsion to avoid admitting that or walking away. Instead you start spinning this nonsense vortex and it gets completely illogical and makes you look like an idiot half the time.

What is this debate actually about? I said it was a great play on my first post, I said that the throw was not a god tier Mahomes defies logic type of throw, I said he did not throw sprinting left and throw right, I said he basically stopped and turned his body to face the WR and threw him the ball.. Thats not a stupid point.. thats the reality of what actually happened on that play.

I have explained that like 50 times to you, a normal human being would say, ok yeah it was a great play like you said and yeah he did turn his body and move on with their life.. but unfortunately for you, you are incapable of doing that and your vortex kicked in and you look like an idiot trying to spin some argument I have never made..
By your logic 90% of QB throws can be made by any other QB. If you stupidly ignore everything that goes into a throw and you just have a QB stand in one spot and a WR in another then Tim Tebow can make every throw. But that is again an entirely stupid way to evaluate a player. But you are well within your rights to make entirely stupid points. Even the most inaccurate and useless QB can if you have him stationary and with no pressure throw a ball to a WR. What great insight you are providing.
I'm not ignoring everything that went into the play, because I said the play was great. But yes for just the throw, most QBs are capable of throwing a ball to a stationary target without any defenders.. Are you saying that most QBs can not?

But that is again an entirely stupid way to evaluate a player. But you are well within your rights to make entirely stupid points. Even the most inaccurate and useless QB can if you have him stationary and with no pressure throw a ball to a WR. What great insight you are providing.
Im not evaluating a player, I'm clarifying what happened on the throw.
You were being stupid yet again in that thread about Trubisky. It was a completely ridiculous and meaningless point just like your point here is. You love these stupid hypotheticals that don't exist in reality as in reality no one would advise Trubisky to do what you were suggesting. It was asinine.
There is no hypothetical here, I'm talking about reality, the reality was Fields turned his body and was facing the WR when he threw the ball to a stationary target without any defenders, thats not a hypothetical that's called reality.

In regards to the Trubisky thread? yes that one was a hypothetical thread where I wished that Nagy and Pace got a big fuck you from Trubiskys agent, and Trubisky never played for the Bears again. If you think that hypothetical was a dumb thing to talk about then nobody forced you to post in it.

But thats not why you brought that up in this thread. This is another example of your vortex making you look like an idiot, you brought up that thread as some kind of counter argument that I was a Mitch supporter after I posted when I gave up on him. A normal human would say ok my mistake I must have you confused with someone else, but your vortex kicked in and you posted to me wanting Mitch to never play for the Bears again as proof that I wish Mitch was still here? lol Your vortex makes you lose your mind and you start posting like an idiot.

Its Ok to say you made a mistake.. or keep up the vortex I really dont care how stupid you make yourself look

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Out of curiosity, why are you hung up on the throw?
I think a better question is why is posting what actually happened make people so upset after I said it was a great play?

But to answer your question, I'm really not hung up on it, I said this to another poster but will say it again. If I said that play was great and his pump fake was why the WR was so open.. If you quote me saying yes it was a great play but there was never a pump fake. Is that you hung up on it or does that make you a Mitch homer or you really hate Fields or something? Or is that you just stating what actually happened on the play?

I made 1 post saying it was a great play and just clarified what happened on the throw and every post after that is dealing with the vortex and people frothing at the mouth..

There was no pump fake.. there was not god tier Mahomes throw.. But thats ok, the play was still great..

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The only way to actually fix the problem is for Fields to learn how to manipulate the pocket. All a good pass pro would mean is that he doesn't have to manipulate the pocket or develop great pocket awareness because the OL would not get tight on him. They would be stopping rushers from getting too close to him so he wouldn't need to learn now to navigate the pocket as much.

Fields has things to work on independent of the players around him. Better pocket awareness is one of them.

JV Safety at UNC but u could've stepped up to varsity had u not been injured.....right? We're u that good to have played on varsity if not for the injury? Just curious

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
JV Safety at UNC but u could've stepped up to varsity had u not been injured.....right? We're u that good to have played on varsity if not for the injury? Just curious

I would not have been close to starting and would have been lucky to get in on special teams.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think a better question is why is posting what actually happened make people so upset after I said it was a great play?

But to answer your question, I'm really not hung up on it, I said this to another poster but will say it again. If I said that play was great and his pump fake was why the WR was so open.. If you quote me saying yes it was a great play but there was never a pump fake. Is that you hung up on it or does that make you a Mitch homer or you really hate Fields or something? Or is that you just stating what actually happened on the play?

I made 1 post saying it was a great play and just clarified what happened on the throw and every post after that is dealing with the vortex and people frothing at the mouth..

There was no pump fake.. there was not god tier Mahomes throw.. But thats ok, the play was still great..

Note how #70 almost immediately gets beat by the RE and forces JF outta the collapsing pocket And the center is standing there not helping out. We're lucky to have JF

Here's.....The 51 yard pass (y)

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@dbldrew Not quoting that word salad.

It was a great play and it is categorically stupid to try to separate the scramble from the throw. That is the point. You have every right again to be stupid but it is stupid. Most normal human beings look at that play and marvel at the fact Fields was capable of making it. A former Trubisky nuthugger just has to find something to nitpick on the play which is why you are trying to separate the throw from everything that came before it.

As for the Trubisky thing, it was clear that despite what you said in other threads you still had a soft spot for the dude hence why you created a hypothetical thread where he triumphantly sticks it to Nagy. Again most regular fans would never have thought to make such a thread because they were never Trubisky nuthuggers. Only a Trubisky nuthugger would think that was a cool thing to fantasize about.

Finally, you have made dumb threads questioning Fields in a way you never did in 2017 or 2018 when it was Mitch. So this is another way in which your bias shows. Here are some other threads where you are trying to shit on a guy in Year 1 after white knighting for Trubisky for years. It is obvious in reading your posts you intent is to focus on any negatives you can because you still hurt Trubisky failed.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would not have been close to starting and would have been lucky to get in on special teams.

was it uncommon or common for JV players to make varsity at UNC and become starters?