Has anyone poached workers from old job(s)?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has anyone else poached workers from an old job?

How did you feel? Great? Like an asshole?

Well, I still have my awesome job I've been woo hoo'ing about for last 2 years.

I used to have a similar job for much less pay at a really shitty company, but they DO have some skilled people there that are actually making decent $.

I got a new guy to train from there a couple weeks ago. I got good word on him from very trusted friend in same line of work.

Ugh! He got hauled off to jail on a failure to appear warrant AT WORK Friday!

Now I (1.) Look like an ass for telling them to hire the kid. (2.) Now I have to do the fucking work instead of watch him while I "train" him.

But the main thing is that he will keep his job if he can get bonded out of jail. He's doing great work, good knowledge, keeping a close eye on his work, etc.

Now to poach a few more that I actually know. My friend giving me the word on who I might get is the one I really want to poach, I need to work my way up the ladder.

Same friend told me..."Fuck 'em. Poach 'em all then maybe this shithole will shut down!".

The people I know and really want will take lots of coaxing, and they are at least less likely to get hauled off to jail.

I think I am doing the right thing by saving people from working for totalitarians, well, not THAT bad, but "work for assholes" (FACT) to come work with me in the growing team I am happy to be in on.

Anyone else saved or stole someone from an old job?

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have done it several times. I don't feel bad as I just make the offer and it is their decision to take it. For most it was a want to work with or under me, and for a couple it was the money (but I knew they were good and would be loyal).

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I haven't but I would. Im with biscuit. You can tell them about the job and then it is up to them.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nearly every job I have ever had.
<

Although the financial geek world is a bit small and there is a lot of "incest". For example, on my team of 6, 1 is from Board of Trade, another is from nyse, 2 others from other hedge funds. With my company, we get a significant bonus if we bring in a resume that stays employed for 6 months.

Some companies make you sign stuff that ensures X amount of time you need to be gone to bring others, etc. Be careful there...

If you were to be fired, do you think they would let you know with a few months notice, ease your transition, and allow you time off to interview and find another gig? Not a chance in hell. Take em all. They are also big boys and dont have to go anywhere if they dont want.

Not to mention, this helps your place "in the court". You pad your numbers with guys who thank you for getting them in somewhere else. Management above you thinks you are a go-getter company man trying to get the best folks in to do a job.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sweet!

My new guy is out of jail and I got word out to a couple other possible poaches.

2nd shift may start back up by next week, then I will only have to do half of the work.

Kid needs to keep his ass out of jail.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Sweet!

My new guy is out of jail and I got word out to a couple other possible poaches.

2nd shift may start back up by next week, then I will only have to do half of the work.

Kid needs to keep his ass out of jail.

Train me. I have no warrants out for my arrest.

That I know of.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, kick ass!

Helped get a good friend of mine a job in a different department, he started today.

I feel good about helping a friend out. I'm sure he is gonna help us out too.

But here is the REAL good shit...

My guy says, "Jam! Look!" and points, I look as he requested and there is our boss talking to a guy we used to work with at the place I poached my new guy from. He went in to work this morning, they didn't have shit for him to do, so he said"Fuck this! I'm going to get a real job and work with Jam!"

I think we're gonna hire him and this guy has tons of skills and knowledge about the job, and a no bullshit type of guy.

I've been trying to poach this guy for over 2 years

Then I get text from ANOTHER old friend over there (disc golf & hockey buddy), he says "when are you gonna get me a job?"

Me - "well shit, get the fuck on over here, I vouch for your work any damn day"

Those motherfuckers treated me like dirt for 3 years then shitcanned me when I had pinched nerve injury.

I have been patiently waiting for 5 years, now I can fuck them over good.

I see my old boss sometimes at gas station on our ways to work.

I never talk to him, he's a sleazy backstabbing fuck, but if I get the guy I've wanted for so long, I am gonna laugh my ass off right to his face about my gain and his loss.

"Now get the fuck out of here before I poach the rest of your good help eh!"

[insert evil laugh here]

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Never had to poach or be poached. For my current job, I had to sign a contract that said I couldn't go work for a competitor or take any customers we currently have had I left or gotten fired until after 6 months.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never had to poach or be poached. For my current job, I had to sign a contract that said I couldn't go work for a competitor or take any customers we currently have had I left or gotten fired until after 6 months.

Those non-competes aren't always found to be legal....

jakobeast

Liked Posts:

I don't see them holding up in court. I get if it is proprietary information or technology, but other then that, I would like to see the government essentially say "yeah, you can't work".

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see them holding up in court. I get if it is proprietary information or technology, but other then that, I would like to see the government essentially say "yeah, you can't work".

Yeah, was gonna say, even if you did sign one and you are not bringing info or tech with you, really, what company would pursue it? More so if you are canned. I have never taken customers with me when it was applicable, but I might have told customers I was moving and if they asked where I was going, well, I dont want to be a liar...

I did have to agree to some of this in my current gig, but we have background checks more thorough then my top secret was and various software and geek architecture would be very valuable to another firm. It is not uncommon when some guys quit in some positions that they are paid for 18 months to NOT work.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I once shot a former coworker out of season, and the DNR officer came to my house and... wait...what?

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You saying you used to work with some 'jive turkeys'?

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah my company has one of those. It really has to be worth it for them to go after you. At one of my clients, people from my company left wholesale to join our client (i was offered and tempted to do so, but ultimately didn't). They didnt do a thing about any of it. In that situation, I was surprised they didn't try and make an example of someone. 1 or 2 people? no big deal....10-15 like what happened in my situation, thats alot of lost money, so I was surprised they didnt try and make an example of someone to stem the tide. Arguably alot of the people were from a different organization within my company, that when they are unstaffed for 2 weeks, they are let go, whereas in my organization there is no such time limit (I've been unstaffed for like 3 months before, collecting full pay) I know of people who have been unstaffed for over a year, they would do things like teach internal classes and stuff, but still that shit is a cake walk.

Ours is different though, we can go work for a competitor right away. We just allegedly cant work for a client in which we were servicing for 6 months (but as I said, they didnt do a damn thing about it when people did).

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I could go work for a competitor, I just can't go after any accounts I used to have. I'm in no need to go work for a competitor as I have only one account and I'm happy where I'm at.

Have heard a few guys leave for a smaller company and then go after their old accounts.

R K

It all depends on if you leave with information and they can prove it. And in that case most of the times the Judge will just not allow you to use that information.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I didn't get the old friend from the old shitty job.

We offered it to him but he turned it down, oh well.

I did get another guy (that I don't know) from the same place

He is doing ok, but not GREAT like the kid under me that is staying out of jail for us.

I'm still zeroing in on my main poaching target, sending him hints at times when I know he hates his job more than usual. I used to work for him, he can work for me now. He was a great boss and is a great friend, he should expect nothing but the same from me.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck!

I am pretty sure the kid is in jail again! He needs to get out and back to work!

I have more ammo for my poaching hunt, for my specific target.

Management is deciding soon on what exactly to spend ~$300k for my side of the shop.

I have been waiting 3 years for some good modern stuff to work with and this goes far beyond what I had hoped to get.

But there is LOTS of work to be done. Programs to be written, fixtures to be made, tooling decisions and ordering.

Now my boss does the tooling and we split the programs about 60/40 fixtures about 70/30.

But now he is getting slowly pulled off to be the head a of newly forming department. That means either he does some of that work taking away from his new duties, or it is all dumped in my lap. I'll take the programming any day. Fixture making? Sure. Tooling is my weak spot though.

I am hoping to use this new responsibility of mine to (1) Get a big raise and make even more money. (2) Poach my main target and have him work with me, for me, or hell, I would even hire him to be my boss. (3) maybe in another year or three I get sent to train up my counterparts in Europe and catch up with some loved ones I miss so much.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Fuck!

I am pretty sure the kid is in jail again! He needs to get out and back to work!

I have more ammo for my poaching hunt, for my specific target.

Management is deciding soon on what exactly to spend ~$300k for my side of the shop.

I have been waiting 3 years for some good modern stuff to work with and this goes far beyond what I had hoped to get.

But there is LOTS of work to be done. Programs to be written, fixtures to be made, tooling decisions and ordering.

Now my boss does the tooling and we split the programs about 60/40 fixtures about 70/30.

But now he is getting slowly pulled off to be the head a of newly forming department. That means either he does some of that work taking away from his new duties, or it is all dumped in my lap. I'll take the programming any day. Fixture making? Sure. Tooling is my weak spot though.

I am hoping to use this new responsibility of mine to (1) Get a big raise and make even more money. (2) Poach my main target and have him work with me, for me, or hell, I would even hire him to be my boss. (3) maybe in another year or three I get sent to train up my counterparts in Europe and catch up with some loved ones I miss so much.

Poach me.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poach me.

What line of work are you in? Willing to relocate to downstate? (S of I-80 anyway)

Send a PM if you like.

In other good news, my 2nd shift kid is back from wherever he was. Just need him at work, he does really good work.

We got all our quotes for options on the new machine I am getting to kick ass with like it is a kid's game.

The "low end" was just about a quarter mil.

One was something like this, but with all kinds of sweet bells and whistles I have wished for my entire 10+ year career in this field.:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-csa1vDUqSc[/media]