Hate to be a buzz kill, but 2022 not gonna look any brighter according to Cap Friendly!

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I'm not 100% sold on Dach as a rebuilding prospect.

IMHO the only thing that makes Dach worth it to keep around is if he (a) becomes much better than 30% at the dot and thus could be a real, bonafied #1C or #2C (even 45% would be acceptable in that role), or he moves over to the wing and can play wing effectively using the rest of his skillset.

Right now though? He's only a point better than Kubalik who's slumping something fierce.

He may be young, but I don't think he's proven to be a piece we can build around--at least yet. We might have ruined him like Cam Barker. We might not have, but I think if we don't find a decent role for him anywhere in the top-6 we should be prepared to move on.

As for Toews, I think we have to let that one play out. In all fairness to Toews the last goal he scored that was taken away? He did everything right and the linesmen screwed him. I won't hold that against him at this point. I don't think he retires this offseason and leaves almost 7M on the table--especially since he's 33YO and he might not get another deal after he turns UFA. I agree that we might be able to flip him at next year's TDL, but I think we got him this year and next. But I do think if he's willing to waive and someone comes knocking we entertain the deal.

El Gato might have the most value, but if we're not getting a king's ransom he'll be worth more to the 'hawks than if we lose him. He *is* only 23. He *is* playing above his paygrade. He *should be* a de facto "A" on the team. He *is* our best player. So, if we're going to tear it all down we better be getting bank for him.

We shouldn't jettison him simply to "tear it down". We should only jettison him if the returning pieces really set us up for a real rebuild--and not in a "pay a mid-tier #1D man a fuckton of money for 8 years" type of move like the departed legume-reckoner did. Proposals can and should be entertained, but the 'hawks should be mindful of the returning value.
We’re on the same page we are just wording it differently.

Cat is the last person I would want gone on this team, but he has the most value. If somebody offers something stupid for him you really have to swallow your pride and consider it, consider this new retool a complete failure, and admit there needs to be a rebuild installed instead of fooling yourself which is what Blowman has done for how many years.

The time for a retool was when they had panarin. Once they traded him that’s when the rebuild should have started. It didn’t. And because of it this team is the drizzling shits. Blowman should have taken a team to the cleaners over Bread but he didn’t. He decided to put a wet bandage over an open wound and Rocky should have turfed his ass because of it. Now, the Hawks are in that “too good to be the Coyotes bad but too bad to make the playoffs” stage that’s worse then actually being a shit team because the hawks scouting department has a smartest guy in the room complex that more so then not wastes high draft picks.

If they took Byram over Dach, you are looking at the Jones trade not happening and if it still did you have your top pairing set for the next decade.

They had many better options then Bustvist yet still took him only so they look like great evaluators if he actually developed. I liked Walstrom and Dobson along with Miller a whole lot more then Bustvist and sure enough all of them are better.

Whomever the next GM is has to cut ties with Kelly.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I never said you were dumping salary along with trading Cat. I’m saying you are taking a bad contract along with futures to make the cap work since most teams are up against the cap right now.

And there’s no way a 30 goal scorer isn’t a commodity in the NHL. It doesn’t matter what position you play. Cat had a good chance at 50 last year if the schedule was normal.

Okay, but if you're taking on a big salary, why not just keep Debrincat? If your answer is to retain futures, that doesn't suffice, since Debrincat is young.

I never said he wasn't a commodity in the NHL; I said D-men and centers are hotter commodities. Let's not kid ourselves by suggesting otherwise. A guy like Jones: a #1 D-man who plays both PP and PK, who can move the puck, who can log close to 30-minutes a night, and be trusted to play against a team's top line, is much more valuable than a high-scoring winger.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, I think people are way too hung up on Dach's face-off percentage. Yes, I'd like Dach to improve there, but if the guy sucks at face-offs but he's sound positionally as a center in both zones, that's seriously fine and not the end of the world. His faceoff ability alone shouldn't determine whether he's moved to wing.
If Dach was in the 40% range at the dot I wouldn't hung up on his FO%. But 30%? That is bad especially with the defensive quality of the team. We're chasing the puck too much.

Granada

Liked Posts:
If Dach was in the 40% range at the dot I wouldn't hung up on his FO%. But 30%? That is bad especially with the defensive quality of the team. We're chasing the puck too much.
I still don't think you move him to wing strictly based on that. What would hurt the defensive quality of the team more would be switching him to wing when he's used to playing center, with regard to assignments, etc. As I mentioned before, if he's good positionally in both zones, that is the main thing and you leave him at center even if he's weak at draws.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Hopefully we can get a GM who doesn't play fantasy manager anymore. He's been kicking the can down the road now hoping it didn't ever catch up to him, seems like he's going to avoid it anyway.