Have you already labeled Justin Fields a bust?

Have you already labeled Justin Fields a bust?

• Yes, he's a bust.

• No, I haven't given up on him.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This is what I think Fields' Stans are missing. Even if he got Jerry Rice in his prime, his yardage in the GB game goes from 70 to 170....lol.

A bit of hyperbole from me, and not an exact science obviously, but the notion seems missed by them.
Its not hyperbole at all. Justin Fields is not even close to being charitably described as mediocre. If you were to put Justin Jefferson and Stefon Diggs on this team it would be like buying two mint condition Ferrari F40's then parking them outside in a hailstorm.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
It's way too early to determine if Justin is a bust or not. In the offseason this team jettisoned older players and did little to draft/sign top tier talent because of a lack of draft capital and cap space concerns (thanks Pace!). Next year the Bears have more cap space than anyone in the league and all of their draft picks. Next year is the year that Poles is supposed to surround Justin with top talent via the draft and free agency. IF Poles does those things next year by week 12 of year 3 we should know if Fields is the guy or not.

I still think he's the guy. At this point I'm more worried about the Bears mismanaging Fields causing him to bust rather than Fields having a lack of talent causing him to bust.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The offensive line has exceeded any reasonable expectations. They haven't been perfect, but they've been at the very least average. Go watch Cincinnati for a quarter and you'll see what being under siege looks like.

And its not like Justin Fields is making otherwise monster plays that are being undone by his recievers. Like if he were dropping dimes and firing in windows only to have to ball bounce off his receivers hands or for them to fall down halfway through their routes I'd be fine, but examples of that are basically absent.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is what I think Fields' Stans are missing. Even if he got Jerry Rice in his prime, his yardage in the GB game goes from 70 to 170?....lol.

A bit of hyperbole from me, and not an exact science obviously, but the notion seems missed by them.
on 11 passes? That would be incredible. Where can i sign up for that?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The offensive line has exceeded any reasonable expectations. They haven't been perfect, but they've been at the very least average. Go watch Cincinnati for a quarter and you'll see what being under siege looks like.

And its not like Justin Fields is making otherwise monster plays that are being undone by his recievers. Like if he were dropping dimes and firing in windows only to have to ball bounce off his receivers hands or for them to fall down halfway through their routes I'd be fine, but examples of that are basically absent.
Green Bay leads the league in pressures at 64%.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Youll see a QB also holding onto the ball too long except he gets to do it for 44 times a game. Kind of makes sense why Joe Burrow, a guy who had a season ending injury on a sack, wanted his team to get him an elite level WR who he is comfortable throwing to.

But i also thought franchise QBs were supposed to make everyone better regardless of circumstances? Why is Joe Burrow throwing 4 INTs in one game?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Its not hyperbole at all. Justin Fields is not even close to being charitably described as mediocre. If you were to put Justin Jefferson and Stefon Diggs on this team it would be like buying two mint condition Ferrari F40's then parking them outside in a hailstorm.

ok so now we have 2 pintos that don't half run. :unsure:?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Youll see a QB also holding onto the ball too long except he gets to do it for 44 times a game. Kind of makes sense why Joe Burrow, a guy who had a season ending injury on a sack, wanted his team to get him an elite level WR who he is comfortable throwing to.

But i also thought franchise QBs were supposed to make everyone better regardless of circumstances? Why is Joe Burrow throwing 4 INTs in one game?
There isn't enough time in a football game to give Justin Fields forty-four attempts due to the fact that if you run anything less than two run plays for any one pass the drive will immediately fall apart with him at the helm. Letting him throw is an express ticket to a three-and-out, and you'd have to run more than fourteen three-and-out drives in order for Justin Fields to get these forty-four attempts.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There isn't enough time in a football game to give Justin Fields forty-four attempts due to the fact that if you run anything less than two run plays for any one pass the drive will immediately fall apart with him at the helm. Letting him throw is an express ticket to a three-and-out, and you'd have to run more than fourteen three-and-out drives in order for Justin Fields to get these forty-four attempts.
Especially when your defense is giving up 5-7min drives.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Especially when your defense is giving up 5-7min drives.
Well when they're on the field all the time because the quarterback can't do anything this is kinda what you get. Don't worry, maybe by the end of the season Justin Fields can look half as good as Cooper Rush.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll just put it this way: I miss Jay Cutler.

And I hated Jay Cutler.
Better at what? He wasn't a winner nor a leader.
Throwing the ball? Have you ever looked at a list of the quarterbacks who've started NFL regular season games for this franchise?

So we agree he wasn't a leader nor winner. Throwing the ball? In critical situations, he'd "throw the ball" to the other team. Jim McMahon was head & shoulders above jay.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well when they're on the field all the time because the quarterback can't do anything this is kinda what you get. Don't worry, maybe by the end of the season Justin Fields can look half as good as Cooper Rush.
Yeah, young QB with no supporting cast constantly being asked to convert on 3rd and long with an OC way over his head. Sounds reasonable.

Cooper Rush can probably play CB better than your guy Kindle Vildor.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
So we agree he wasn't a leader nor winner. Throwing the ball? In critical situations, he'd "throw the ball" to the other team. Jim McMahon was head & shoulders above jay.
These aren't mutually exclusive. I agree both that Cutler was INT-happy at all the wrong times and that Jim McMahon rests heads and shoulders above Cutler in the pantheon of Bears quarterbacks, but neither of those points negate the reality that Cutler was/is still probably among the top 5 quarterbacks we've ever had.

Like, if you just go down the list from Luckman, McMahon, etc., you get to Erik Kramer pretty quick. That's...not great.

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
Even as a rookie, Cutler was superior to Fields at standing in the pocket and picking a team apart with his arm. His main two issues was that he wasn't a locker-room guy (not a leader), and he was inconsistent. But at least with Cutler, there was hope. You knew that on any given Sunday, he might be Good Jay and destroy the other team by throwing ridiculous darts all over the field. I never have that feeling with Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler had no redeeming qualities as an NFL QB. Didn't have the stats. Didn't have the wins. Didn't have the leadership, the likability, the smarts, the composure, the anything. Forget critical situations, Cutler was never a guy who over the course of a season looked like he was even an average QB at throwing the ball. When you are constantly as off target as reckless as he was, you're not a good passer.

He did look better when the Bears gave him #1 type WRs and a good pass catching TE to go with his good pass catching RB. But you still saw the same mistakes and the same IDGAFuckery. They would go down 7-10 points in the first qtr and Jay gave up trying to win. But at least Jay got a shot, over and over and over again.

Cutler gagged away a shot at the playoffs with a talented Den team and then followed it up with just a complete mediocre at the very best Bears career. But at least Cutler was given the opportunities and the Bears finally gave him players to throw to. and we found out exactly who Cutler was. Nobody.

Cutler as an NFL QB was worse than Bears fans will ever admit because he just so happened to last long enough to be their tallest midget. Give me the unknown of any bad young QB over that loser stepping foot onto Soldier Field ever again. Cutler had all of the risk of Favre without any of the reward.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
These aren't mutually exclusive. I agree both that Cutler was INT-happy at all the wrong times and that Jim McMahon rests heads and shoulders above Cutler in the pantheon of Bears quarterbacks, but neither of those points negate the reality that Cutler was/is still probably among the top 5 quarterbacks we've ever had.

Like, if you just go down the list from Luckman, McMahon, etc., you get to Erik Kramer pretty quick. That's...not great.

Cutler was/is still probably among the top 5 quarterbacks we've ever had.

So I go back to W-L's . Sure If someone is allowed to stick around for 8 darn mediocre yrs, then yeah, they'll accumulate some useless stats. You still haven't said what did jay ever do for the Bears in terms of winning and leadership?
Heck, even ole Rex can say he went to a SB.