Have you already labeled Justin Fields a bust?

Have you already labeled Justin Fields a bust?

• Yes, he's a bust.

• No, I haven't given up on him.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine really believing that there isn't already a massive amount of Bears fans giving up on a QB after 12 games. Some people on this board act like this is their first year of being a Bears fan.
Bears fans are absolutely obsessed with putting labels on things too and as soon as humanly possible. Is he a bust, is he not a bust? Why don't we just let him play and quit throwing around stupid narratives. If he's a bust, he's a bust and we move on like the Bears have done for like there entire existence.

All I'm gonna say is I bet Eagles fans and Miami fans are pretty happy right now they hung on to those guys.

R-E-L-A-X

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It is evident that Fields is really putting in the time to get better. How he sticks the ball out near the sidelines like Wilson or how he hides the ball during the playaction like Rodgers shows he is a student of the game. I like his demeanor on the sidelines as well. He doesn't get rattled easily.

It just has to translate and it has not yet.
best take of this thread

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess Trubisky could eventually ceiling out at that as well.
LOL, the guy that everyone replaces and plays for peanuts. Wow. You couldn't pick a worse simile.

Cousins gets franchise tagged, signs for record deal, re-signs with the Vikes for $35m per year vs Mitch who had his option refused by the Bears, backs up for pennies the following year and gets signed as a placeholder while their 1st round draft choice develops at Pittsburgh. He'll again be released after this year and on his 4th team in 4 years. That's the polar opposite of a franchise player.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
He is a bust to me at this point; I have never seen a quarterback pass for this few of yards and turn it around. However, he could pull a 180 and be a decent starting QB, but I am going with bust at this point until he proves otherwise.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barstool should be ashamed. Taking a player's comment to generate fake outrage is low. Shame on any "fans" crying "waaaa Justin Fields doesn't care about our feelings".

That being said, Fields isn't anywhere near Russell or Leaf, so my answer is no.

Even Mitch isn't a bust. He was simply drafted to early by a gm trying to prove he's the smartest person in the room. Busts don't continue playing in the league.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He is a bust to me at this point; I have never seen a quarterback pass for this few of yards and turn it around. However, he could pull a 180 and be a decent starting QB, but I am going with bust at this point until he proves otherwise.
I cannot believe you had the courage to come forward on an anonymous message board!

/sarcasm

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Barstool should be ashamed. Taking a player's comment to generate fake outrage is low. Shame on any "fans" crying "waaaa Justin Fields doesn't care about our feelings".

That being said, Fields isn't anywhere near Russell or Leaf, so my answer is no.

Even Mitch isn't a bust. He was simply drafted to early by a gm trying to prove he's the smartest person in the room. Busts don't continue playing in the league.
They should, but negativity makes money. It creates more noise than positivity, more interactions and now the table is set.

Fields redemption arc is going to need to be biblical from here on out.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The arm talent is absolutely there. I even think the leadership is there which makes two attributes we couldn't use in the same sentence with Cutler. But that said, if he doesn't develop the pocket presence and the skills needed to find open receivers, then it won't matter.
I agree with this.

A bust to me is when you are drafted in the 1st round (Mitch was predicted to do so by more than our team) and then turn into a backup tier QB. That is what Mitch is, he is a bust. If he was picked in the 5th round he would not be a bust, but a quality backup.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with this.

A bust to me is when you are drafted in the 1st round (Mitch was predicted to do so by more than our team) and then turn into a backup tier QB. That is what Mitch is, he is a bust. If he was picked in the 5th round he would not be a bust, but a quality backup.
idiot

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has never thrown for more than 300 yards in a game and only has 4 games where he broke the 200 yard mark. Passing yards are not everything but it is a good barometer to judge young qb's by because it shows whether they have the ability to move their team up and down the field.

Scobear

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can seriously give up on him at this time, but the next four games may be a pretty good indicator as to the bust question. If the upcoming performances are similar to the first two games I think the Poll may look a whole lot different. These games will also be a good indicator as to what the Bears have in terms of the coaching staff, especially their ability to help Fields' development. Hope the kid pulls out a few good performances, it's what we all want after all.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this.

That's not really my definition of a bust. No one wants a bust to contaminate their roster. Backup tier QBs can be called into service when the starter gets hurt. Busts can't be trusted with this.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Some posters keep mentioning how many of us have already given up on Fields, he's a bust, stick a fork in him...we need to draft another QB.

I think these posters are confusing skepticism/criticism with complete abandonment. There's nothing wrong with critiquing a high profile, young QB week to week.

I have LITTERALLY seen ONE regular poster call him a bust. Let's set the record straight, so these posters can stop with the false accusations and defensive hyperbole.

many will jump off the bandwagon if he passes for 90 yards vs Texans resulting in a bear loss.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Have I given up on him or labeled him a bust? No.... It sure feels like its coming though.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are absolutely obsessed with putting labels on things too and as soon as humanly possible. Is he a bust, is he not a bust? Why don't we just let him play and quit throwing around stupid narratives. If he's a bust, he's a bust and we move on like the Bears have done for like there entire existence.

All I'm gonna say is I bet Eagles fans and Miami fans are pretty happy right now they hung on to those guys.

R-E-L-A-X
And it's not like if he were to turn out to be a bust like Mitch, it would be the first time. If there's anything that Bears fans have experience doing and should be pretty good at handling now, it's watching a first round selection at QB walk away to become a backup somewhere else after 4 years or so.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I think he will be very good given enough time and at least some helping resources. He has all of the traits you look for in a QB!

I just hope that the current regime has told them they believe in him and promised to keep him regardless of what happens this year bc he has been seriously hamstrung!

No talent- I mean bottom two or three but more like the worst talent in the league at skill positions outside of running back.

Compare his situation with jalen hurts!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
to the question, I would give him the rest of the season and come back and answer. I have said several times, by mid season you should see improvements if the game is still too fast then concern for sure.

Are you holding the coaching staff to the same standard ?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He has started 12 games, and it takes mobile QB's longer to develop, not considering outliers like Watson and Mahomes. I think he needs better tackles to get into the passing rhythm he needs. I do think Borom and Jones can develop into decent tackles, but its gonna take some time to see this.

I think he needs better tackles to get into the passing rhythm he needs.

THIS

In particular, #70 LT Braxton Jones.