Having trouble with internet since replacing my modem

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
So my internet has been pretty bad since replacing my modem. I don’t really know shit about this stuff so I’m looking for some help. I decided to replace the modem seeing as how it was around 6 years old or so. It was an Arris Surfboard. I replaced it with an Arris Surfboard 6190(the only difference between this and the one was the model number on the bottom). Upon doing this, my internet has been shit.

I pay for up to 200MBPS and was consistently getting around 170 or so and now I don’t even get 60 and several times throughout the day it gets so bad that I can’t stream anything or play video games. When the PC is direct connected to it there are no issues. Anything on the WiFi though sucks. I still use the same router I had used with the previous modem. I did notice days later that the router needed an update and I did it, but it didn’t help.

is there anything specific I should be looking at or for?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
A quick Google makes me wonder if this model of modem is officially supported by your ISP?

If you buy/use your own modem they have an approved hardware list.

Did you register the new modem with your ISP or just buy it and connect the cables?

Here's what I found: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversa...ection-speed-problem/602daffec5375f08cd1ec05a

Yeah it was registered. I made sure it was an approved one before purchasing it. Interesting though because people in the link you posted are saying that model has problems. I just didn’t think it would be that since i used an Arris that was old and had no problems.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah it was registered. I made sure it was an approved one before purchasing it. Interesting though because people in the link you posted are saying that model has problems. I just didn’t think it would be that since i used an Arris that was old and had no problems.

Well the way I see it you got 3 options now.

1. Keep reading forum threads about it and see if there are any solutions you can try.
2. Call your ISP and get the inevitable technician visit
3. Order another modem

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Well the way I see it you got 3 options now.

1. Keep reading forum threads about it and see if there are any solutions you can try.
2. Call your ISP and get the inevitable technician visit
3. Order another modem

Do you think the router could be the issue? I didn’t replace that with the modem and it’s probably 5-6 years old.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you think the router could be the issue? I didn’t replace that with the modem and it’s probably 5-6 years old.

If you had no issues with your wifi prior to the modem change, I find it doubtful the router is the issue.

If you think the router is an issue, grab an ethernet cord and connect your modem directly to your PC.

Run a speed test on that and compare to the speed when you're on wifi thru the router.

If the speed is good when connected directly to the modem, then your router may be the issue, but again I doubt this is the case.

Occam's Razor.... you had normal service.... you changed the modem.... the service went to shit.... the chance it isn't the modem is extremely slim IMO.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If you had no issues with your wifi prior to the modem change, I find it doubtful the router is the issue.

If you think the router is an issue, grab an ethernet cord and connect your modem directly to your PC.

Run a speed test on that and compare to the speed when you're on wifi thru the router.

If the speed is good when connected directly to the modem, then your router may be the issue, but again I doubt this is the case.

Occam's Razor.... you had normal service.... you changed the modem.... the service went to shit.... the chance it isn't the modem is extremely slim IMO.
Shut up!

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Appreciate it guys. I’m just going to replace the modem since I’m still in the time frame to return this one. I’ll double check before buying my next one that it doesn’t have that chip in it.