Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It really would, each sounds extremely similar to their counterpart. I'd love it and have been supporting that for a while now, but I'm beginning to wonder if Wiedeman doesn't want to do TV because he's not sure how much longer he's going to call games. He'll be turning around 65 this year. Hell, I'd be fine with hiring him for a 5 year deal, but I doubt the Hawks do that because they're stupid and they'll want "young" guys (even if they're all terrible).
I would hope that Nick would be the frontrunner at this point for color, but I think you may be right about Weiderman maybe not wanting to do TV.

I think there was 1 or 2 commentators out that we've tested who've been "okay"--at least to the point where they could maybe grow into the role. Unfortunately I can't remember who except I know they were saddled with Cheesedick on color at the time which would bring down almost anyone.

The biggest issue I see is that they seem to be jamming Cheesedick down our throats--in spite of the fact that (a) when he was an analyst for Philly nobody liked him and wanted him off the air and (b) no where on any of the interwebs have I heard anyone say anything positive about him--as an announcer/color, analyst, or a hockey player. Regis "Pierre" McGuire is more liked.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Sharp in between the benches instead of Colby tonight, Hope he does great would like to see him work out for the coming seasons if possible instead of Colby.
Sharp's always been pretty solid, I liked him on NBC Sports as an analyst and he was good with Pat Boyle last game. Assuming he would want the gig, I'd gladly take him over Colby for in-game analyst/color/whatever, but I don't really know if he wants that.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Shooter in between the benches,in the studio or even in the booth in the future,he actually has something to say........unlike Lil Cubby and Chelie's kid.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I really hope Sharpie sticks around on some role.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can't tell if the TNT broadcast is legit or just like, work hot.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I can't remember how this guy was earlier in the year, but Jason Ross Jr. was okay with Edzo for the Blues shellacking.

Also, I much prefer Charlie Roumeliotis in the studio than Colby. I hope they ditch the latter all together.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't remember how this guy was earlier in the year, but Jason Ross Jr. was okay with Edzo for the Blues shellacking.

Also, I much prefer Charlie Roumeliotis in the studio than Colby. I hope they ditch the latter all together.
Agreed on all counts. I like Ross Jr. was paired with Cheesedick the 1st time out. He wasn't bad but with that boatanchor attached to him, it was working against him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's just been so bad that I'm basically down to anyone but Colby at his point. And some of the others aren't great but I see as tolerable, probably can't even name them which may be a good thing. They have room to grow. But Colby is never going to get rid of his annoying ass voice and style.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
NBC Chicago hair and makeup tryna cover Caley Chelios entire face with her own hair 2nite.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gem Shopping Network commercials.

Lol the Hawks suck enough they gotta scoop into that lower tier of ad revenue.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I only saw the first and some of the third period last night so I could be wrong here, but Monaco (I think that's his name) was a bit better this game; if memory serves, he was atrocious his last outing. They have to get Colby out of the fucking booth, he makes these guys 10x worse when they're paired with him.

Also, from last night's game:

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Grade F for the play-by-play guy last night vs. Columbus. I can't watch the games -- no service -- but today I barely made it through the condensed game. Long silences -- not appropriate for hockey telecast -- and typically did not identify players when he did speak, which was lots of filler, usually stating the obvious, like where the puck is.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Grade F for the play-by-play guy last night vs. Columbus. I can't watch the games -- no service -- but today I barely made it through the condensed game. Long silences -- not appropriate for hockey telecast -- and typically did not identify players when he did speak, which was lots of filler, usually stating the obvious, like where the puck is.

It feels like he's waiting for Colby to lead the team and Colby is waiting for him to lead, and they both just kinda nervously twiddle their thumbs anytime there isn't action being called.

Monaco has a decent voice, I agree with @Granada they need to stop putting Colby in the booth, he's ruining any chance the other play-by-play announcers have.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The game vs Winnipeg, I put it on snw but that was short lived as for some reason Leah Hextall is now their pbp broadcaster, so switched it back to the hawks broadcast but with the sound off to make it feel like I was at bar. Then last night I put it on the Columbus broadcast. They were decent but had to listen and be reminded to how great the returns were for the Seth Jones trade. They went on about how the trade off for Bovquist is and how they got Cole Sillinger with the #12 (chicago pick) plus the other pick that is top 2 protected. Funny comment though was when BlueJackets were up a couple and Jody Shelly pipes up about we must remember the fire power of the Blackhawks! Im like obviously this guy hasnt seen many of their games this year, Jody this isn't the hawks teams you played against.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
The game vs Winnipeg, I put it on snw but that was short lived as for some reason Leah Hextall is now their pbp broadcaster, so switched it back to the hawks broadcast but with the sound off to make it feel like I was at bar. Then last night I put it on the Columbus broadcast. They were decent but had to listen and be reminded to how great the returns were for the Seth Jones trade. They went on about how the trade off for Bovquist is and how they got Cole Sillinger with the #12 (chicago pick) plus the other pick that is top 2 protected. Funny comment though was when BlueJackets were up a couple and Jody Shelly pipes up about we must remember the fire power of the Blackhawks! Im like obviously this guy hasnt seen many of their games this year, Jody this isn't the hawks teams you played against.
When I heard the female PBP, I had to find out who it was and found that she's been around awhile and paid her dues. She had a thin voice, making her more distracting than engaging. She must take some getting used to. Bovquist is progressing and Sillinger has logged significant ice time for an 18 year old. The bill for Bowman's save-my-job off-season and dysfunctional direction since 2017 will take some time to tabulate.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Chode-y was even worse last night. It's like this guy gets worse the more games he does. Incredibly awkward moments with the play-by-play guy whose name eludes me now. It's like he tries to joke with the play-by-play guys, but then it gets weird, and it's like he's trying to be a hard-ass or something. I mean, Eddie Olczyk can pull that off, but not Chodey, who's barely been here for what, 2 years now? He should really just stick to the game and not try to "banter" or joke, because he just comes off like a bigger chode.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Looks like there is a frontrunner now.

Honestly, I can't even remember what games Vosters called. There's been so many damn callers, I can't even keep track anymore. I remember I did like Jason Ross Jr., and the article says that he may get some games next year. I can live with that, but like I said, I can't recall if Vosters was garbage or not thus far. I'll certainly pay more attention going forward, now that I know he's the front runner.

That said, it should be Wiedeman before anybody still, but the Hawks are dumb and that's confirmed to not be happening for whatever reason.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Loved seeing the Reaper on the pre/post/intermission crew the past 2 games, hope he sticks around. I almost feel like even Colby is better when he's there. Almost.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Loved seeing the Reaper on the pre/post/intermission crew the past 2 games, hope he sticks around. I almost feel like even Colby is better when he's there. Almost.

I think that's only because Stu talks a lot and Colby doesn't get a chance to babble as much.