Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't hate Vosters. At least his voice doesn't suck. But Colby Cohen sucks so hard.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Vosters sucks, from what I remember. The guy knows nothing about hockey, he doesn't even know how to call penalties correctly or even notice when the ref has his hand up; and his cadence is even worse than Alberts. Guy has no clue when to be excited and when not to, unless it's a goal. The Blackhawks fucked this up like they do with many of these small and obvious decisions, where they had a clear replacement that would have pleased everyone (Wiedeman), yet they pick a guy who knows shit about hockey. But his voice is deep, so yay. So stupid on the org's part, but par for the course.

And also, Ross Jr. was better than Vosters this year. If they wanted to go young, they should have picked him. At least Ross Jr. had more of a hockey background when he covered the Red Wings, compared to Vosters, I pray Vosters is not as bad as Dan Kelly.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Vosters sucks, from what I remember. The guy knows nothing about hockey, he doesn't even know how to call penalties correctly or even notice when the ref has his hand up; and his cadence is even worse than Alberts. Guy has no clue when to be excited and when not to, unless it's a goal. The Blackhawks fucked this up like they do with many of these small and obvious decisions, where they had a clear replacement that would have pleased everyone (Wiedeman), yet they pick a guy who knows shit about hockey. But his voice is deep, so yay. So stupid on the org's part, but par for the course.

And also, Ross Jr. was better than Vosters this year. If they wanted to go young, they should have picked him. At least Ross Jr. had more of a hockey background when he covered the Red Wings, compared to Vosters, I pray Vosters is not as bad as Dan Kelly.
It really does feel like Kelly 2.0

Granada

Liked Posts:
It really does feel like Kelly 2.0

Yeah and it's annoying enough we'll have to sit through this guy trying to learn on the job, but what's even worse, is that he probably won't improve all that much (see Alberts). And I guarantee you we'll see Colby in the booth when Edzo's contract is up (which is in a year I believe). We'll go from one of the best tandems in the league to one of if not the worst. Guess it was fun while it lasted, like a lot of things relating to the Hawks.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah and it's annoying enough we'll have to sit through this guy trying to learn on the job, but what's even worse, is that he probably won't improve all that much (see Alberts). And I guarantee you we'll see Colby in the booth when Edzo's contract is up (which is in a year I believe). We'll go from one of the best tandems in the league to one of if not the worst. Guess it was fun while it lasted, like a lot of things relating to the Hawks.
Yeah, I think the real big problem here is that he's been in the booth with Colby all year, he even acknowledge last night or whenever it was that he appreciated how much Colby was teaching him. I am praying he doesn't pick up any (more) of the language, mannerisms, or cadences that Colby has because it would be an absolute nightmare to have two of them in the booth.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think we've had it wrong, gents.

Colby Cohen is one top-notch broadcaster.

So much so, I think he should get promoted out of this shitty little Chicago market.

It won't be easy, but Chicago needs to figure out some way to cobble together a broadcast team without the esteemed Colby Cohen.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I caught Vosters on Kaplan's new show last night. I will give him props for admitting he's got work to do. He straight-up admitted he doesn't have a goal-call. Kaplan also asked him something like (paraphrasing) whether or not Hawks fans will know that he is a Hawks announcer, and not just an impartial announcer. Vosters said he definitely is planning on being more of a homer announcer, where he'll get more excited when it's a Hawks goal, which I do like, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't know, I just hope this kid can get it. Seems like a nice-enough guy and said all the right things last night, but who knows.

Like I mentioned before though, I'm more concerned with just his obvious lack of knowledge of the game and as to when to express excitement, specifically pertaining to a big save. It's not just goals an announcer has to be excited for, I mean goals are almost secondary compared to a beautiful assist that makes the whole play happen, etc. There's checks, there's things that happen behind the play, there are penalties (which he's missed a lot of during his tryout) -- you have to see all that, he has to learn you can't just follow the puck the entire time. Eddie is professional enough that he will help immensely with that part, but he shouldn't have to.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Vosters did Purdue spring game on BTN yesterday. Not great.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Speaking of Broadcasters...since Tallon is back, do we get a Wee-knee moment?

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Tallon makes Foley listenable again.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For whatever it's worth. Foley deserves much better for his last game. Both from the team and from the station around him. Thanks for the years.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For whatever it's worth. Foley deserves much better for his last game. Both from the team and from the station around him. Thanks for the years.
Given Foley's broadcasting touch, I'm sure if the team plays to their usual craptacular ways there will be parting shots.

Granada

Liked Posts:
True, but with the way this team has checked out, I can only hope it's at least a competitive game with at least a couple Hawks goals and saves for Foley to call. San Jose is technically still alive for a playoff spot; if they lose, they're eliminated.

Anyways, with 3 home games remaining after this one, I don't get why tonight is his last game. Just curious.

Definitely a sad night, for me, anyway. Other than those two bull shit years with Dan Kelly, I've only known Blackhawks hockey with Foley's voice. Really going to miss the hell out of him.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True, but with the way this team has checked out, I can only hope it's at least a competitive game with at least a couple Hawks goals and saves for Foley to call. San Jose is technically still alive for a playoff spot; if they lose, they're eliminated.

Anyways, with 3 home games remaining after this one, I don't get why tonight is his last game. Just curious.

Definitely a sad night, for me, anyway. Other than those two bull shit years with Dan Kelly, I've only known Blackhawks hockey with Foley's voice. Really going to miss the hell out of him.
Well, thankfully no matter how hard McCabe, Jones, and DeHaan tried to give the game away, Lankinen, Debrincat, And Kane managed to win it for Foley.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Well, thankfully no matter how hard McCabe, Jones, and DeHaan tried to give the game away, Lankinen, Debrincat, And Kane managed to win it for Foley.
Yes, although they blew a two-goal lead in typical Hawks fashion, the entire game was great. It was exciting and nasty, beautiful goals, big saves, a fight. I'm just glad with got two teams that actually competed.

I'll say this though about McCabe -- I've been his harshest critic this year, but last night, he had a solid game. Broke up a two-on-one late in the second. This might be the most "involved" or the most emotion I've seen from the guy, it was really nice to see. Maybe the coaching staff reamed him a new one recently, I don't know, but he looked like the player I was hoping we were getting when he was acquired. He was physical, stood up for teammates (Lanks with the snow shower). Nice game overall.

Lanks: yeah, he did have some big saves and was huge in the shootout obviously, but overall, he was bad. The jury's in on him -- he's not an NHL goalie. He simply can't control rebounds anymore; I don't know what happened, I can't remember him being this bad in that area, but it's the truth. He's also frantic in net, with a defense like this I can't fully blame him, but still. Swims way too much, doesn't track the puck well. But again, he did come up big a few times during the game and especially in the shootout.

I'm just glad they won. Foley deserved a win. In a way, this was the perfect game and perfect ending for him. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it was the last game he'll ever call.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, although they blew a two-goal lead in typical Hawks fashion, the entire game was great. It was exciting and nasty, beautiful goals, big saves, a fight. I'm just glad with got two teams that actually competed.

I'll say this though about McCabe -- I've been his harshest critic this year, but last night, he had a solid game. Broke up a two-on-one late in the second. This might be the most "involved" or the most emotion I've seen from the guy, it was really nice to see. Maybe the coaching staff reamed him a new one recently, I don't know, but he looked like the player I was hoping we were getting when he was acquired. He was physical, stood up for teammates (Lanks with the snow shower). Nice game overall.

Lanks: yeah, he did have some big saves and was huge in the shootout obviously, but overall, he was bad. The jury's in on him -- he's not an NHL goalie. He simply can't control rebounds anymore; I don't know what happened, I can't remember him being this bad in that area, but it's the truth. He's also frantic in net, with a defense like this I can't fully blame him, but still. Swims way too much, doesn't track the puck well. But again, he did come up big a few times during the game and especially in the shootout.

I'm just glad they won. Foley deserved a win. In a way, this was the perfect game and perfect ending for him. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it was the last game he'll ever call.
Lank's rebound control is not good, but I can hardly fault him on at least 3 of the 4 goals--the clusterfuck in front of him is to blame. The defense is either deflecting pucks in or they are completely blowing their coverage or skating around with each other's thumbs up their asses.

Lanks may not be more than a backup ultimately at the NHL level, but being real here he was solid in the shootout when the 'hawks could have indeed lost it what with Toews and Kane getting stopped, and based on how the goals against were scored this game, I doubt Fleury, Crawford, Foster, Hašek, or even Tretiak stops any of those.

I thought Stillman, Regula, and Vlassic looked better out there than McCabe, so you could say he was trailing out in front of DeHaan and Jones. Any way you slight it thought the backend vet presence has been anything but good in the recent games.

Honestly, I think you could bring up Beaudin and Mitchell, maybe you play McCabe for actually being engaged, and sit Jones and DeHaan and I doubt we'd see any degradation of the defensive quality the 'hawks have been icing. It's that bad.

I'm not so blasé to think that either Lanks or Delia are the answers in net; they most likely aren't. However, the way that Bowman the Beancounter fucked over the defense by signing shitty mid-paring vets to long contracts is going to hurt for a long while. There's a need in goal but we gotta get some guys who aren't pretenders ready on the backend and try to shed the pointless waste we got there already if this rebuild is going to ever get off the ground.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Lank's rebound control is not good, but I can hardly fault him on at least 3 of the 4 goals--the clusterfuck in front of him is to blame. The defense is either deflecting pucks in or they are completely blowing their coverage or skating around with each other's thumbs up their asses.

Lanks may not be more than a backup ultimately at the NHL level, but being real here he was solid in the shootout when the 'hawks could have indeed lost it what with Toews and Kane getting stopped, and based on how the goals against were scored this game, I doubt Fleury, Crawford, Foster, Hašek, or even Tretiak stops any of those.

I thought Stillman, Regula, and Vlassic looked better out there than McCabe, so you could say he was trailing out in front of DeHaan and Jones. Any way you slight it thought the backend vet presence has been anything but good in the recent games.

Honestly, I think you could bring up Beaudin and Mitchell, maybe you play McCabe for actually being engaged, and sit Jones and DeHaan and I doubt we'd see any degradation of the defensive quality the 'hawks have been icing. It's that bad.

I'm not so blasé to think that either Lanks or Delia are the answers in net; they most likely aren't. However, the way that Bowman the Beancounter fucked over the defense by signing shitty mid-paring vets to long contracts is going to hurt for a long while. There's a need in goal but we gotta get some guys who aren't pretenders ready on the backend and try to shed the pointless waste we got there already if this rebuild is going to ever get off the ground.
We'll agree to disagree on Lanks and McCabe. As far as Mitchell, he's being held out of Rockford right now due to an injury, but either way, I'd rather keep him in Rockford because the playoffs will do him more good down there, as opposed to playing in a handful of meaningless games up here.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We'll agree to disagree on Lanks and McCabe. As far as Mitchell, he's being held out of Rockford right now due to an injury, but either way, I'd rather keep him in Rockford because the playoffs will do him more good down there, as opposed to playing in a handful of meaningless games up here.
Of course. My point was that the so-called D-vets have been horrible in recent games, and we could likely swap them with the Rockford D-prospects and those prospects wouldn't make more fundamental errors than the vets have been.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I love how you slipped Foster in there.

Last edited by a moderator: