Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love how you slipped Foster in there.
Statistically he's the best goaltender in Blackhawks history. ?

Plus, if you (royal you) say you like the Blackhawks (or hockey for that matter), and didn't think Scott Foster was one of the most epic things you've ever seen on the ice then you need a trans-orbital lobotomy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Statistically he's the best goaltender in Blackhawks history. ?

Plus, if you (royal you) say you like the Blackhawks (or hockey for that matter), and didn't think Scott Foster was one of the most epic things you've ever seen on the ice then you need a trans-orbital lobotomy.

Got to see it live. It was epic.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So far so bad for Vosters. Been terrible on multiple levels and has no real grasp of the game at all.

Last edited:

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So far so bad for Vosters. Been terrible on multiple levels and has no real grasp of the game at all.
Yeah, felt bad for Edzo a couple of games ago. Vosters thought he was being funny and joking about fashion, telling Edzo, Nick knows fashion over Eddie. Eddie responds thats pretty harsh. Wished Eddie would have just dropped him right there, Talk about disrespect, hey for all the howie meeker style comments by Edzo, I still love the fact he somehow tries to make it lighthearted with some old school stories and how he battled through his health problems.

Still nothing worst and unwatchable is a Vosters Cohen broadcast which is what a tuned in then when to the other teams broadcast to avoid. Sad thing is I think were stuck with Cohen next year

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yeah, felt bad for Edzo a couple of games ago. Vosters thought he was being funny and joking about fashion, telling Edzo, Nick knows fashion over Eddie. Eddie responds thats pretty harsh. Wished Eddie would have just dropped him right there, Talk about disrespect, hey for all the howie meeker style comments by Edzo, I still love the fact he somehow tries to make it lighthearted with some old school stories and how he battled through his health problems.

Still nothing worst and unwatchable is a Vosters Cohen broadcast which is what a tuned in then when to the other teams broadcast to avoid. Sad thing is I think were stuck with Cohen next year
Honestly, I sort of wish they all would just stop trying with the cutesy passive-aggressive humor bull shit already. When Vosters does it, it's awkward, but when Eddie and especially Chodey do it, it just as awkward if not worse. Chodey comes off as the biggest dick on the planet and I actually liked when Vosters nailed him about his shitty clothing line that went out of business in response to Chodey ripping him about not looking like an athletic type.

Vosters and Eddie is bad, but Vosters and Colby is the worst tandem I've ever heard in a long time. What annoys me most about Vosters is, you can tell he doesn't know when to get excited and when not to. His cadence is terrible because he doesn't know the sport well.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wasnt a hard decision tonight, RJ (jennerett) for the sabres doing his last game ever or go and listen(unlistenable) vosters and cohen. Its too bad that this season we;ve seen some great play by play guys retire and replaced with shell's of the guys were losing. At least RJ was doing his final game on the last night of buffalo's season( his salute day was april 1) too bad Foley didn't do his on the last hawks home game instead we had 5 games extra of Vosters.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Wasnt a hard decision tonight, RJ (jennerett) for the sabres doing his last game ever or go and listen(unlistenable) vosters and cohen. Its too bad that this season we;ve seen some great play by play guys retire and replaced with shell's of the guys were losing. At least RJ was doing his final game on the last night of buffalo's season( his salute day was april 1) too bad Foley didn't do his on the last hawks home game instead we had 5 games extra of Vosters.
I was confused why Foley retired on the game he did too, but he explained that he chose that game against San Jose because Doug Wilson was supposed to be in house. They had to plan it in advance, before Wilson stepped down as GM in April. But yeah, I wish we had more games with him and less with Vosters and dipshit. I literally had to put the game on mute when it was Vosters, Chelios, and Cohen the other night -- Chelios seriously spoke more than Vosters, it was ludicrous. Vosters is bad, but hell, he is the play-by-play; the color person should never talk more than the play-by-play. Ever. And can they stop with the guy between the benches, especially if it's Colby? It's completely unnecessary and he offers nothing different than the color person in the booth, even though he's on ice. Guess I have to reinvest in a fucking radio again like in the dark ages, lol.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I mean, for all intents and purposes, Pat Boyle is fine. He sure as hell is a lot better than Chris Boden, that's for sure. But Caley Chelios, yeah -- nothing special. When her and Colby are both doing the pre/post games, they both drive me nuts. They always have to say the other's name for some reason, I can't tell if they're flirting or patronizing one another. Either way, it's annoying. And also, can Boyle stop introducing Colby as an "NHL veteran defenseman"? The guy played 3 fucking games -- I mean that's great, but still, it's just silly.

What I will say about Boyle/Chelios is that, they are light-years better than the utter shit ESPN hires in Bissonette and Tocchet. I can stomach Boyle/Chelios, but I can't stomach the latter pair, which sucks because I used to like watching that coverage to catch up on league news. But I seriously can not keep them on, I have to change the channel. Bissonette especially is just such a tool, it's unbearable.

Cohen is annoying as hell, but last night he tried to give the play-by-play guy shit on-air, which really makes me dislike him.
I remembered trashing Paul Bissonette with this post above, but he's actually really grown on me since then. This is a cheesy reason to like him, but the guy keeps it real, for lack of a better phrase. So many of these analysts/podcasters/etc. don't and they just say the convenient or acceptable thing. For example, I've always respected Jay Zawaski -- and maybe this is just one of those things where we simply disagree -- but on his podcast, he was actually (and quite vigorously) defending Leah Hextall's broadcasting with a straight face. I'm sorry, again I don't have any problems with Zawaski overall, but the dude has been around long enough and is smart enough to know that she's simply not good at that position. I get it, we should applaud females in new roles in the game, but a take like that is just disingenuous. Sometimes you just got to call it for what it is, and I've noticed Bissonette does that; not in regard to Hextall specifically, but in general, and I appreciate that.

But I still think Tocchet sucks.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Yeah but….

Does hockey or sports in general really need women broadcasters?

Cammi Granato would be excellent, she’s a legend, but Hextall and Chelios are getting the rub because of their blood lines. Chelios only gets excited when they start talking about booze and both have the charisma of a wet sock.

If you want me to listen, give me a reason to. If Hextall started telling fart jokes that would be an improvement, there’s absolutely no chemistry with any of these drones.

When Foley was at his best, he had great chemistry with Tallon and Tallon knew what he was talking about. Harry and Stone, Hawk and Stone, great chemistry. Now, these idiots are so afraid to say anything critical it’s alienating old fans for the hope they can get new ones.

What’s next? The first Trans announcer? It’s coming. And if they don’t have a clue what they are talking about too it’s going to be Caley Chelios with a deeper voice.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah but….

Does hockey or sports in general really need women broadcasters?

Cammi Granato would be excellent, she’s a legend, but Hextall and Chelios are getting the rub because of their blood lines. Chelios only gets excited when they start talking about booze and both have the charisma of a wet sock.

If you want me to listen, give me a reason to. If Hextall started telling fart jokes that would be an improvement, there’s absolutely no chemistry with any of these drones.

When Foley was at his best, he had great chemistry with Tallon and Tallon knew what he was talking about. Harry and Stone, Hawk and Stone, great chemistry. Now, these idiots are so afraid to say anything critical it’s alienating old fans for the hope they can get new ones.

What’s next? The first Trans announcer? It’s coming. And if they don’t have a clue what they are talking about too it’s going to be Caley Chelios with a deeper voice.
I just want good broadcasters. Their groin plumbing means little to me. Not looking at their gender Hextall, Chelios, Cheesedick, and Konroyd all suck and shouldn't be in the broadcasting side of things...yet they are. IMHO that's the problem--not what gender they are but because of something completely unrelated to the job at hand, they're give it. It's the Peter principle in action:

Hextall is related to one of the toughest netminders of all time--but what does that have to do with broadcasting?
Chelios is the crotch-goblin of a great defenseman who many Chicago hockey fans don't like--but what does that have to do with broadcasting?
Konroyd played hockey reasonably well at one point, but he has an on-air personality of head-cheese.

but the kicker is...

Cheesedick played hockey quite poorly at one point, and has the on-air personality of Regis (Pierre) McGuire, but without Regis' charisma.

So, why are they there? Your point about Granato stands: she's good so women like her should be getting the nod because they are good.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I was not super impressed with Sean McDonough during the Cup Final. I suppose it could have been worse, but for all the flack Foley got for getting players wrong, this guy did that a lot as well; and sometimes -- when it was a Grade-A scoring chance -- the dude sounded like he was on a tranquilizer.

Same with Ray Ferraro. I'll certainly take him over Pierre any day, but still, they're just a blah tandem, albeit tolerable. Ferraro's endless love for Tampa made me want to punch him in the face after a while.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I got two options for you guys. I believe I said this before but since both Foley and Doc are gone, I've either gone to the away team play by play or turning the sound off completely. The sound off option is interesting in that you don't have to listen to clowns like Cohen telling you dumb shit like you were still playing PeeWee hockey....plus you get to make your own call on who is playing bad or good. But without the crowd, that does get old after awhile. Option 2 is the visitor PBP....there are various ways to get that without breaking the bank. All NHL games are included on my IPTV package....all games, home and away option for each game. Do yourself a favor and read up on them. There are tons of IPTV options out there, do your homework and you'll find one that works for you. I've had mine for over two years....great picture quality, a lot of movies, every game from every sport and every TV show that's out there.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. Sign Colby Cohen to a 10 year deal
2. Sell the option to mute him
3. Profit

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got two options for you guys. I believe I said this before but since both Foley and Doc are gone, I've either gone to the away team play by play or turning the sound off completely. The sound off option is interesting in that you don't have to listen to clowns like Cohen telling you dumb shit like you were still playing PeeWee hockey....plus you get to make your own call on who is playing bad or good. But without the crowd, that does get old after awhile. Option 2 is the visitor PBP....there are various ways to get that without breaking the bank. All NHL games are included on my IPTV package....all games, home and away option for each game. Do yourself a favor and read up on them. There are tons of IPTV options out there, do your homework and you'll find one that works for you. I've had mine for over two years....great picture quality, a lot of movies, every game from every sport and every TV show that's out there.

Isn't IPTV now called FreeVee?

Granada

Liked Posts:
There would have been a really simple alternative, which would be to mute the TV and just put the radio on with Wiedeman and Troy. But I thought I read somewhere a while back that they're scaling back Wiedeman for whatever dumb fucking reason. Regardless, I still may just do that.

But for national games/playoffs, you're stuck with what they provide. Sometimes I get free previews of Center Ice and from what I hear on the visitor feeds, their announcers are the same cookie-cutter types as the Hawks have now, if not worse. So I guess there is no great option.

I still feel like Ross Jr. should have gotten the nod over Vosters. It sounds like they will have the same bull shit multiple PbP tryouts on the radio this year that they had for TV last season, so maybe Ross Jr. will try again. If so, I hope he gets the radio, I'd probably listen to him with Troy. Just have to hope the radio syncs well with the TV.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Isn't IPTV now called FreeVee?
No, that's an app that is mildly similar but is very, very limited in comparison. Do a search for IPTV service providers....there are hundreds of them out there with a lot of them offering free trials. Look for reviews on the ones that catch your eye but don't buy more than 3 month increments as these places tend to come and go. Ours is bit more expensive than a lot of the others but I'm splitting the cost with my son who lives about 20 miles away and it's a good one that's very reliable. Costs each of us about $80 a year. You do need a decent internet connection.....I've got 300 mbps but 100 would work just fine. I found this only because we both got tired of spending over $200 a month on cable bills. Only thing we kept was Comcast's excellent internet service.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There would have been a really simple alternative, which would be to mute the TV and just put the radio on with Wiedeman and Troy. But I thought I read somewhere a while back that they're scaling back Wiedeman for whatever dumb fucking reason. Regardless, I still may just do that.

But for national games/playoffs, you're stuck with what they provide. Sometimes I get free previews of Center Ice and from what I hear on the visitor feeds, their announcers are the same cookie-cutter types as the Hawks have now, if not worse. So I guess there is no great option.

I still feel like Ross Jr. should have gotten the nod over Vosters. It sounds like they will have the same bull shit multiple PbP tryouts on the radio this year that they had for TV last season, so maybe Ross Jr. will try again. If so, I hope he gets the radio, I'd probably listen to him with Troy. Just have to hope the radio syncs well with the TV.
I've tried that on Bear's games but I had trouble syncing up the 7 second delay....never tried on Hawks games. That was with cable. I would be a nightmare now as IPTV has a very long delay.....probably 40-50 seconds.

You're right, there are no great options. Most of the away game announcers are hacks as well. Hell, we just got one from Philly named Cohen. The days of the Foleys, Emricks, Harry Carey and Jim Durham are gone now. No more individuality in any of the sports....as you said all cookie cutters.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1. Sign Colby Cohen to a 10 year deal
2. Sell the option to mute him
3. Profit
Ya know...I think this would work well enough to eliminate not only the helmet ads, but the ads along the boards.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm wrong here, but it sounds like Chodey will only be seen during pre/intermission/post coverage -- and not in-game coverage (between the benches or color) -- which is absolutely fantastic if so.

EDIT: never mind, I'm wrong. Damn, I was really hoping for less Chodey. And Caley.

Last edited:

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
They just released to announce teams and thank god the Hawks are in a rebuild.

The jury is out on of Sharp can be a good play by play guy but I’m willing to give the guy a shot. Hawks fans were spoiled when Foley was in his prime and he had Tallon who was arguably the best hockey color guy out there.

I really think the Hawks should do the whole pro wrestling heel color commentator dynamic, but that’s just me. A color commentator who roots for the other team openly and cheers when the opponent scores goals and shit. Why not? Then when the Hawks turn the corner he can see the light and say “Hawkamania will live forever” and they move forward.

They’re still pushing Chelios, who brings nothing to the table, and are parading a Mexican announce team, which again screams pro wrestling. I mean, diversity is good but if you can’t power bomb a player thru the Mexican announce table your losing half your power like Superman around a piece of kryptonite. Yes, the Latin fans have been seen in a higher percentage around this wonderful city wearing Blackhawks gear. But that same gear has been sitting on clearance racks at every chain retail store and if I can get an authentic Hawks hat for under five bucks I’d buy it and wear it too.

And what is the fascination to Caley Chelios? A semi attractive women who you dont see 90% of the time who is so stupid and aloof on the mic it’s like listening to Mayans grinding corn with dull rocks isn’t helping the broadcast. All she does is brings the broad to broadcast. I said it, fuck all you pussies.