Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
As for ideas to make better content, if the Hawks were smart, they would be buying kids from tiktok to help promote their team.

I’m sorry, tiktok is the biggest platform out there right now and investing in these kids with millions of followers who love this team would do more in bringing new fans then Caley Chelios bleating “hey let’s do a shot of tequila “ every time the Hawks score a goal.

Make an official twitch stream, get big name streamers who love the hawks to do reaction streams while the game is on. You wanna see the Hawks fan base get huge? There’s two good ideas. Have hawks players stream q and a’s while they’re gaming.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you 100%.

I agree with their move to look for fresh broadcasting people, but this has gone from bad to worse.

I'd also say the pre/post game coverage is kinda shitty.

Caley Chelios is extremely like nervous and rigid on set and I don't think being paired with a dude like Pat Boyle is helping.

Pat Boyle is one of those generic broadcast guys who sets zero tone, offers no personal insights, just reads the script like a pro in his broadcast voice.

If they keep her, they need to get her a partner that she clicks with, and also ditch the covid distancing bullshit, it makes the set and show very dead, lots of just dead space and dead air.

Or do the show in like a Hawks basement type of setup with the two broadcast partners together, even if that must be done remotely.

All of the Chicago local sports broadcasts have really gone downhill, but covid and the cuts they made are producing a really really shitty product that I often just choose not to watch.

Honestly you could have @Grimson and @HeHateMe in a decked out Hawks cave and let them spitball about hockey before the game, in between periods, and after the game, and it'd have to be better than this dry/scripted shit they put out every game.
They would get cancelled in a week over an inappropriate joke.

HawksHossa1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Maybe I'm wrong here, but it sounds like Chodey will only be seen during pre/intermission/post coverage -- and not in-game coverage (between the benches or color) -- which is absolutely fantastic if so.

EDIT: never mind, I'm wrong. Damn, I was really hoping for less Chodey. And Caley.

Colby is between the benches and he is talking like a color guy. He can't keep his mouth shut. He has nothing of ny significance to say. He has to know somebody! Is his dad on the board or something. Yuck!!
I love Troy and Sharpy!!!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Colby is between the benches and he is talking like a color guy. He can't keep his mouth shut. He has nothing of ny significance to say. He has to know somebody! Is his dad on the board or something. Yuck!!
I love Troy and Sharpy!!!
These young guys are just so awkward. I keep holding out that maybe I'm just being overly critical with their inexperience but at the end of the day their voice is just so fucking annoying that I don't know if I can get past it

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These young guys are just so awkward. I keep holding out that maybe I'm just being overly critical with their inexperience but at the end of the day their voice is just so fucking annoying that I don't know if I can get past it
Just stumbled across the new Hawks playing on the NHL Network. The NHL have to love putting this crap out there for all to see. Sure, there
are different bodies in the uniforms but the same inept play is still there in all it's glory. You were right about the crowd, seems like a lot of fannies in seats at the UC....surely, most will not be back.

This is some really bad hockey. Do you think we might see a single digit win total at year's end? LOL, that would be a hoot.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don't know if Sharp doesn't talk enough, or if Vosters talks way too much that Sharp can't find an opening. Either way, I hope Sharp interjects more.

Surprisingly, I find Sharp and Vosters to at least be tolerable. So far, anyway.

Vosters still has no clue when it comes to penalties and his Blackhawks goal call is forced/overexaggerated. And like I said, he needs to stop talking so damn much. But I do feel like he's somewhat better compared to last season; it's early though.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know if Sharp doesn't talk enough, or if Vosters talks way too much that Sharp can't find an opening. Either way, I hope Sharp interjects more.

Surprisingly, I find Sharp and Vosters to at least be tolerable. So far, anyway.

Vosters still has no clue when it comes to penalties and his Blackhawks goal call is forced/overexaggerated. And like I said, he needs to stop talking so damn much. But I do feel like he's somewhat better compared to last season; it's early though.
for 4 games I had to listen to oppt broadcast cause the package doesn't allow for me to choose which team, unlike last year. So that last game was the first with Vosters, Sharp and Colby Cutoff. Lets just say I made it10 mins into game before I watched the game on mute. Then i started the 2nd with vol on. It was a little better, I 'd say the say as what you said Granada , he talks too much instead of giving me the pbp. I don't need 5 mins of backstory while the play is going on, might as well have volume off. Maybe less pressure of having a inexperienced colour makes him seem better? Then we goto intermission and we now have Scott Darling? seriously I went to another game till break was over to get the next period. Let's just say im not missing anything by hearing other broadcasts.

Granada

Liked Posts:
for 4 games I had to listen to oppt broadcast cause the package doesn't allow for me to choose which team, unlike last year. So that last game was the first with Vosters, Sharp and Colby Cutoff. Lets just say I made it10 mins into game before I watched the game on mute. Then i started the 2nd with vol on. It was a little better, I 'd say the say as what you said Granada , he talks too much instead of giving me the pbp. I don't need 5 mins of backstory while the play is going on, might as well have volume off. Maybe less pressure of having a inexperienced colour makes him seem better? Then we goto intermission and we now have Scott Darling? seriously I went to another game till break was over to get the next period. Let's just say im not missing anything by hearing other broadcasts.

I don't even bother with the pre/post/intermission shows anymore. I simply can't do it, which sucks, because I used to like watching that, but none of them have any chemistry with each other and Scott Darling.....nice guy and all, but wow, what the hell is he doing there? The last ex-Hawk goalie that was that bad in a media role was Turco, and if you're on par with that dude, you have serious problems. I was never the biggest fan of Konroyd (too much of a company man, very monotone), but man, I'd take him back in a second if I could over Chelios, Darling, and Colby.

HawksHossa1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

The problem is Colby. He is not suppose to be talking more than the color person. He is soooooo annoying and so is his voice. He is between the benches and he should speak as much as a sideline or courtside reporter but he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. As a result Sharp and Troy Murray's time is limited. Vosters is tolerable but I hate his and Colby's artificial bantering. Excruciating all the way around. If Troy or Patrick weren't on I would listen to the radio.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The problem is Colby. He is not suppose to be talking more than the color person. He is soooooo annoying and so is his voice. He is between the benches and he should speak as much as a sideline or courtside reporter but he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. As a result Sharp and Troy Murray's time is limited. Vosters is tolerable but I hate his and Colby's artificial bantering. Excruciating all the way around. If Troy or Patrick weren't on I would listen to the radio.
I hear you. I'll say this: Colby didn't talk as much last night, thankfully. I don't like Colby, but last night was his best game. He even provided a cool glimpse when he described E. Kane chirping Murphy and how Tinordi skated over and put an end to his chirping -- that's what a between-the-benches guy is supposed to do.

I see they brought in the table to help Darling out during the intermission show with Boyle. He's a little better but still rough.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Why do they need theee at all? I don't understand. I know national do the between the bench guy but they cut to him not leave an open mic. Either put him in the both with Chris which would be a mistake at least initially until he learns the job, or boot him to the studio where he gets to talk uninterrupted.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do they need theee at all? I don't understand. I know national do the between the bench guy but they cut to him not leave an open mic. Either put him in the both with Chris which would be a mistake at least initially until he learns the job, or boot him to the studio where he gets to talk uninterrupted.
I like Troy as a color analyst. It's not a great overall telecast, but we've seen worse (Dan Kelly).
I liked cranky Foley, but the giggle fest between him and Eddie O got tiresome. When Tallon came back last season for one telecast with Foley, that was something special. At the moment, they have a homogenous mix of play by play and between the benches. At least the hockey has been enjoyable to watch so far.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I like Troy as a color analyst. It's not a great overall telecast, but we've seen worse (Dan Kelly).
I liked cranky Foley, but the giggle fest between him and Eddie O got tiresome. When Tallon came back last season for one telecast with Foley, that was something special. At the moment, they have a homogenous mix of play by play and between the benches. At least the hockey has been enjoyable to watch so far.
Agreed on all points. Good seeing you post again

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Coby in studio pregame tonight. Not sure I was right

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hear you. I'll say this: Colby didn't talk as much last night, thankfully. I don't like Colby, but last night was his best game. He even provided a cool glimpse when he described E. Kane chirping Murphy and how Tinordi skated over and put an end to his chirping -- that's what a between-the-benches guy is supposed to do.

I see they brought in the table to help Darling out during the intermission show with Boyle. He's a little better but still rough.
At least Darling looked ready to go Ray Emery on Cheesedick last game.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So I only watched a little of the Bruins/Blues game last night on NHL Network before passing out. I can't remember the play-by-play guy's name now, but man, that dude makes Vosters sound like Foley.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I only watched a little of the Bruins/Blues game last night on NHL Network before passing out. I can't remember the play-by-play guy's name now, but man, that dude makes Vosters sound like Foley.
It was an NHL network guy or one of the locals?

Granada

Liked Posts:
It was an NHL network guy or one of the locals?
Unsure. It was this dude in the video-link below. He literally put me to sleep. He sounds like he dropped a zanax before the game started. Or like he just had a root canal and his mouth is still numb. Or both.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I have to say, on every platform I troll around on the interwebs, I have never heard anyone say anything positive about Colby Cohen. Not a single person. I've even seem some past back from the late 2010's about his time in Philly as an analyst and everyone there thought he sucked, too.

Is NBCSC not paying attention? The dude sucks. Nobody likes him.
He's got pictures.