Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm really trying to warm up to Vosters, but he was quite the idiot during the Rangers broadcast. How the hell doesn't he know that a fighting penalty is 5 minutes, so when a fight takes place at the end of the period with less than 5 minutes to go, the player isn't leaving the ice because he's been ejected. He's leaving because he's is going to have to start the next period in the box anyway. He literally thought that 3 players were ejected during the Rangers game (Toews, Trouba, Murphy). Sharp was too nice to say anything in real time, but fuck. Vosters did something else stupid this game too but I forgot what it was now. I wonder how long it'll take for him to understand penalties.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm really trying to warm up to Vosters, but he was quite the idiot during the Rangers broadcast. How the hell doesn't he know that a fighting penalty is 5 minutes, so when a fight takes place at the end of the period with less than 5 minutes to go, the player isn't leaving the ice because he's been ejected. He's leaving because he's is going to have to start the next period in the box anyway. He literally thought that 3 players were ejected during the Rangers game (Toews, Trouba, Murphy). Sharp was too nice to say anything in real time, but fuck. Vosters did something else stupid this game too but I forgot what it was now. I wonder how long it'll take for him to understand penalties.
He said Marino "high stuck" Domi after a penalty last night and when Sharp mentioned the ferocity of Tie Domi's fights,he said "year,he never got a "fighting minor"........WTF's a "fighting minor"? Sharpie asked him if he was doing a baseball game when he said something about a "swing and a miss" later.....LOL! Sharpie might be back on hiatus soon!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Last time I turned on a Hawks broadcast I heard Cheesedick's voice and turned it off when the period ended.

If they ever ditch Colby Cohen, someone tag me here so I can start watching again.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Last time I turned on a Hawks broadcast I heard Cheesedick's voice and turned it off when the period ended.

If they ever ditch Colby Cohen, someone tag me here so I can start watching again.
I swear he's secretly penis heads son

Granada

Liked Posts:

Well they kinda have already. I mean, they greatly diminished his role, thankfully. He doesn't do color anymore. You must have tuned in when he was in between the benches for a home game. He really doesn't say much in that role, which is nice. They do have him back on the pre/post/intermission show, but that's a train-wreck anyway with Darling. Hopefully he'll be completely gone soon. Darling is worse, but at least the guy is likable.

Granada

Liked Posts:
He said Marino "high stuck" Domi after a penalty last night and when Sharp mentioned the ferocity of Tie Domi's fights,he said "year,he never got a "fighting minor"........WTF's a "fighting minor"? Sharpie asked him if he was doing a baseball game when he said something about a "swing and a miss" later.....LOL! Sharpie might be back on hiatus soon!
I remember the swing and a miss thing, was happy to see Sharp call him out on that.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess I've been missing out on all the "fun".....I have IPTV and the few Hawk games I see, I usually flip over to the other team's coverage. In
case a lot of you don't know, we aren't the only fans be subjected to poor play by play and color announcing.....I mean it's really like cookie cutter coverage as the majority of these guys are all the same. There just aren't any Doc's, Lloyd Pettits, Gene Harts or Jim Hughsons out there anymore.....most now are guys I've never heard of or young guys like our Vosters. I haven't seen games from every team but the ones I have, you wouldn't know one from another. No distinction whatsoever. I guess we are finding out now how good we had it with Foley along side either Tallon or Eddie.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well they kinda have already. I mean, they greatly diminished his role, thankfully. He doesn't do color anymore. You must have tuned in when he was in between the benches for a home game. He really doesn't say much in that role, which is nice. They do have him back on the pre/post/intermission show, but that's a train-wreck anyway with Darling. Hopefully he'll be completely gone soon. Darling is worse, but at least the guy is likable.

Have not seen Darling out there.

There seems to be a very old notion continuing that says any former player has experience with the fame and game, so they must be good baseline candidates to do broadcasting for that game/sport.

While I understand the general notion, it really falls apart unless you pick former players who happen to have the correct attitude for broadcasting.

The Hawks got lucky with Pat and Edzo for so long they began a habit of jettisoning any popular broadcast people, especially female ones.

Idk about the rest of you but I enjoyed a smart/attractive woman like Sarah Kustok or Suzanne Collins providing some balance to the guys in the booth.

Now they seem to want every broadcast person to look and sound the same, including that fake fucking broadcaster voice they all do.

Here's an idea, find smart/attractive people who have genuine passion for the location, sport, and broadcasting.

Hire and pay them well, encouraging them to fill in any gaps in skills or knowledge they might have.

PS: This won't work great with former athletes who made far more money playing said sport and see little need to fill in gaps in their broadcasting knowledge.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Have not seen Darling out there.

There seems to be a very old notion continuing that says any former player has experience with the fame and game, so they must be good baseline candidates to do broadcasting for that game/sport.

While I understand the general notion, it really falls apart unless you pick former players who happen to have the correct attitude for broadcasting.

The Hawks got lucky with Pat and Edzo for so long they began a habit of jettisoning any popular broadcast people, especially female ones.

Idk about the rest of you but I enjoyed a smart/attractive woman like Sarah Kustok or Suzanne Collins providing some balance to the guys in the booth.

Now they seem to want every broadcast person to look and sound the same, including that fake fucking broadcaster voice they all do.

Here's an idea, find smart/attractive people who have genuine passion for the location, sport, and broadcasting.

Hire and pay them well, encouraging them to fill in any gaps in skills or knowledge they might have.

PS: This won't work great with former athletes who made far more money playing said sport and see little need to fill in gaps in their broadcasting knowledge.
I agree, but just to clarify, Darling (and Kustok) was never a part of the in-game broadcast. Darling is a part of the pre/post/intermission broadcast, like Andrew Shaw last year, who also wasn't good.

They have Genna Rose now in the Kustok role. I like her. I liked Kustok too, but she got a better opportunity for the Knicks if I'm not mistaken, plus she wanted out of Chicago for personal reasons I assume, understandably.

I really liked Kerry Sayers and Josh Mora back in the day. Not sure why they were ever replaced.

Susannah Collins was evidently fired because she accidentally said "sex" before immediately correcting herself and saying "success." That was such bull shit.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I guess I've been missing out on all the "fun".....I have IPTV and the few Hawk games I see, I usually flip over to the other team's coverage. In
case a lot of you don't know, we aren't the only fans be subjected to poor play by play and color announcing.....I mean it's really like cookie cutter coverage as the majority of these guys are all the same. There just aren't any Doc's, Lloyd Pettits, Gene Harts or Jim Hughsons out there anymore.....most now are guys I've never heard of or young guys like our Vosters. I haven't seen games from every team but the ones I have, you wouldn't know one from another. No distinction whatsoever. I guess we are finding out now how good we had it with Foley along side either Tallon or Eddie.
Yup, been saying this for a while now. Very cookie-cutter. When people were dogging Foley in his last few years, I'd tell them to go listen to other teams broadcasters -- they are so much worse. Some people don't know what they got until it's gone.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Aside from Cheesedick having a broadcast voice and personality better suited towards mime, He also tries to throw out the "when he played" card...except it was for what, like 4 games? I mean, I get guys like Eddie O, Grimson, Shaw, Sharpie, Burish, hell even Darling who had actual careers: all are better than Cheesedick.

He is like a newer version of Regis "Pierre" McGuire, except without the creeper factor. I don't think he would ever thrust his buttocks into Darling's loins like Regis did to Ryan Miller.

Liked Posts:
Just figured I'd make a thread where we could vent about all the horrible broadcasters trying to fill the Hawks' box for the foreseeable future.

Can somebody tell Colby Cohen that nobody wants to hear any color guy talk more than the play-by-play guy, especially when said guy is Colby Cohen?

Can somebody tell the play-by-play guy (all of which have sucked, with the exception of Wiedman, who's done like one game), that if the ref has his arm up and the feed is about to cut to the commercial, it's your fucking job to at least say, "Delayed call when we get back," as opposed to nothing? I mean, you should know what the damn penalty is already, but if you don't, you should at least know that one is going to be called. Really not much to ask.

Can somebody tell the Hawks that instead of subjecting us to a plethora of horrible broadcasters for an entire year, they should really just simplify this entire process and give the play-by-play to the only logical choice in Wiedeman? If they are going to make the GM search as unnecessarily complicated as their Broadcaster search, we're really effed.

Sorry, I've just had it with these terrible broadcasters. The guy doing the game against Columbus last night (can't remember his name now) was abysmal. I can forgive a home broadcaster misidentifying opposing-team players, but when the guy is routinely misidentifying Hawk players, it's Dan Kelly unforgivable.
The current whiner is about to be in tears as he whines, SCOOOOOORRRRRRRESS".
They couldn't do any worse and ought to look for someone with a voice like this guy~~

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Been lucky the past couple games and they've had Troy Murray with Vosters, Troy seems to keep Vosters in line, There was one game CC was in between benches and him & vosters were rambling on but Troy kinda put the kibosh on them and reeled vosters back into the game (Which also I find Voster just announcing the game without all these who cares tidbits) with Troy anyway. When vosters and CC ramble with other colour men than yeah it goes off the rails quick. I've been putting it on radio stream while watching the game and love the radio guy, even he is able to ignore Caley when she's been with him once and just go to the action. I just want the action called and some nights vosters can do that, but if he starts early with giving you info about nothing relatable while the play is going on and then you miss play action(big save while telling you about how the goalie's save% was last game) because of the rambling well be prepared for a horrible night.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Been lucky the past couple games and they've had Troy Murray with Vosters, Troy seems to keep Vosters in line, There was one game CC was in between benches and him & vosters were rambling on but Troy kinda put the kibosh on them and reeled vosters back into the game (Which also I find Voster just announcing the game without all these who cares tidbits) with Troy anyway. When vosters and CC ramble with other colour men than yeah it goes off the rails quick. I've been putting it on radio stream while watching the game and love the radio guy, even he is able to ignore Caley when she's been with him once and just go to the action. I just want the action called and some nights vosters can do that, but if he starts early with giving you info about nothing relatable while the play is going on and then you miss play action(big save while telling you about how the goalie's save% was last game) because of the rambling well be prepared for a horrible night.

There are times when Vosters will just say players' names as opposed to calling the action. For example, if there is a play going on in the offensive zone, he'll just say, "Kane....Domi....Kane...." (they're passing it to each other). In other words, he doesn't call it like one would for the radio, which Foley always did, even when he was on TV. That's one reason why Foley was great. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it's an example of how modern-day broadcasters are different, for the worse. You could never get away with calling a game like that on the radio, and the art of radio-calling (for lack of a better term) is falling by the wayside. Before, a TV announcer would have to simulcast, and it made them better at the job overall.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are times when Vosters will just say players' names as opposed to calling the action. For example, if there is a play going on in the offensive zone, he'll just say, "Kane....Domi....Kane...." (they're passing it to each other). In other words, he doesn't call it like one would for the radio, which Foley always did, even when he was on TV. That's one reason why Foley was great. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it's an example of how modern-day broadcasters are different, for the worse. You could never get away with calling a game like that on the radio, and the art of radio-calling (for lack of a better term) is falling by the wayside. Before, a TV announcer would have to simulcast, and it made them better at the job overall.
There's two different ways to call a game.....on TV the picture tells the story and on radio you have to be more descriptive. It's why most teams have different guys for each. Which is why I think they kept Weideman on the radio where he is outstanding but just a bit too descriptive for TV. I'm showing my age here but a good example was the great Lloyd Pettit only did radio and they brought in Jim West to do TV.

I don't watch much anymore much like Hawk and when I do I usually try the road team's call....just to eliminate seeing Cohen's annoying face. Granada, you seem to watch a lot of the games....I caught a few bits and pieces of the home broadcasts while surfing. Is it me or do the color guys really dislike Vosters.....Sharp in particular really seems to be annoyed at some of the dumb shit Vosters says. Troy....seems like he's covering for Vosters. Either way....it's not good television.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There's two different ways to call a game.....on TV the picture tells the story and on radio you have to be more descriptive. It's why most teams have different guys for each. Which is why I think they kept Weideman on the radio where he is outstanding but just a bit too descriptive for TV. I'm showing my age here but a good example was the great Lloyd Pettit only did radio and they brought in Jim West to do TV.

I don't watch much anymore much like Hawk and when I do I usually try the road team's call....just to eliminate seeing Cohen's annoying face. Granada, you seem to watch a lot of the games....I caught a few bits and pieces of the home broadcasts while surfing. Is it me or do the color guys really dislike Vosters.....Sharp in particular really seems to be annoyed at some of the dumb shit Vosters says. Troy....seems like he's covering for Vosters. Either way....it's not good television.

You know, the last time I heard Sharp with Vosters (and dipshit between the benches), it seemed like Sharp likes him -- lot of kidding around, etc. I feel like they all get along, but who knows. When Troy is with Vosters, there's just zero chemistry; I don't think they dislike the other, but still. Vosters tries to joke around and it just ends up being awkward, mainly because his sense of humor is Wisconsin-level cheesy, literally.

I've said this before, but I do think Vosters is trying. I can't hate the guy, it's just that his knowledge of the game -- and specifically, terms, etc. -- is lacking. Some of his adjectives are just, wow ("rainbowed"?). And his humor is rough. I honestly want to like the guy, but I don't, at least not yet. I will say, I don't think he's as bad as Dan Kelly, but he's got a long way to go.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know, the last time I heard Sharp with Vosters (and dipshit between the benches), it seemed like Sharp likes him -- lot of kidding around, etc. I feel like they all get along, but who knows. When Troy is with Vosters, there's just zero chemistry; I don't think they dislike the other, but still. Vosters tries to joke around and it just ends up being awkward, mainly because his sense of humor is Wisconsin-level cheesy, literally.

I've said this before, but I do think Vosters is trying. I can't hate the guy, it's just that his knowledge of the game -- and specifically, terms, etc. -- is lacking. Some of his adjectives are just, wow ("rainbowed"?). And his humor is rough. I honestly want to like the guy, but I don't, at least not yet. I will say, I don't think he's as bad as Dan Kelly, but he's got a long way to go.
I certainly haven't watched enough to have a solid slant on things.....the few minutes I saw Sharp with him, he seemed pissed. Vosters seems childlike while having an adult conversation. He probably came cheap....an old Wirtz hiring prerequisite.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I certainly haven't watched enough to have a solid slant on things.....the few minutes I saw Sharp with him, he seemed pissed. Vosters seems childlike while having an adult conversation. He probably came cheap....an old Wirtz hiring prerequisite.
Sharp isn't pissed , but Vosters and Colby are more like you said attitude wise with him than with a veteran guy like Troy. Sharp is the new guy and new to this so what's he gonna do? He kinda has to go along with those two clowns even though it's awkward at times. When Colby isn't 3 rd man in broadcast its noticeable, and Vosters sticks more to play by play, less off the cuff comments and Troy reels him in. When colby is on with Sharp or someone other than Troy then that's when you notice that the colour guy feels compelled to let Vosters and colby talk or rant more due to lack of broadcast experience and when to talk and when not to.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Sharp isn't pissed , but Vosters and Colby are more like you said attitude wise with him than with a veteran guy like Troy. Sharp is the new guy and new to this so what's he gonna do? He kinda has to go along with those two clowns even though it's awkward at times. When Colby isn't 3 rd man in broadcast its noticeable, and Vosters sticks more to play by play, less off the cuff comments and Troy reels him in. When colby is on with Sharp or someone other than Troy then that's when you notice that the colour guy feels compelled to let Vosters and colby talk or rant more due to lack of broadcast experience and when to talk and when not to.
Agree. I will say this: the color guys need to interject more. Vosters talks a ton, but I'll say this: he does give the guys a chance to step in. But Sharp and a lot of times Troy don't take advantage when he does; so Vosters just starts calling the play again. Sometimes it because the opening or questions Vosters gives aren't good, but other times, they're legit questions that are only met with brief answers, if any. I think we have to remember that, even though Troy's been doing Radio forever, he's new to TV and is not used to anyone but Weideman. We could have avoided this whole thread if the Hawks did the right thing and just hired Wiedeman and Troy.

My point is, if Troy and Sharp interject more during gameplay, it may take more attention off of Vosters. Edzo had this down to a science (when to do it; when to stop); Troy and Sharp, not so much.