HC Candidate: Arthur Smith, Titans OC

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Any offense pairs well with the Bears defense. Give me KC's offense and win games 45-10

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The best young coaching prospect in the league will definitely come to this cursed franchise to play for a lame duck GM

Will only happen if major changes happen and I don’t see it sadly
These guys really dont think like that often. They believe they can turn it around anywhere if given the opportunity.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
DABOLL from the bills mfs he has ta be the new guy

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
These guys really dont think like that often. They believe they can turn it around anywhere if given the opportunity.

He would have to at least consider the fact that if he can’t produce immediate results, the GM might be on his way out and a new GM would want to go in a different direction. I’m sure it might not be the most important thing he’s considering but definitely something he’s aware of. Most coaches get a 3 year window and Smith would know he has 1 year here if things go really sideways.

for a guy like Fangio I don’t see him caring because he’s never had the opportunity but a hot commodity like smith? Maybe he’s content waiting for a more stable situation. And it appears he’s already turned down HC interviews since last season.

idk, I don’t see the Bears situation as particularly appealing for a new coach. There is not a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, IMO

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I remember when Nagy was hired, he talked a big game about being able to adapt and how he was ultra flexible. If the defense did this, they would counter with that. If they adjusted to that, he would counter. He would put guys into the best positions to succeed etc.

Now, I'm not saying Smith can't do this. In fact, he's had more sustained success than Nagy ever did as an OC by a long shot. That's a positive. But the Bears definitely need an offensive mind capable of adapting and not pigeon holing themselves into only one way to do things. That's one of the biggest reasons I was high on Nagy when he was hired. Unfortunately, it was all salesmanship and he bamboozled his way in. With the help of Andy Reid, I might add. Those two are extremely close, and it appears that Reid wanted his guy afforded the opportunity. But looking back on it, there's no possible way Reid could have believed Nagy was ready. He actually said he was the most NFL ready HC he's ever had. That was AFTER Pederson won a SB. So yeah....thanks Reid. Hope Nagy bought you something nice.
The only coach I’ve ever heard NOT say this is Mike Martz. But most all of them act like Martz after getting the job...

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He would have to at least consider the fact that if he can’t produce immediate results, the GM might be on his way out and a new GM would want to go in a different direction. I’m sure it might not be the most important thing he’s considering but definitely something he’s aware of.

for a guy like Fangio I don’t see him caring because he’s never had the opportunity but a hot commodity like smith? Maybe he’s content waiting for a more stable situation.
If they allow Pace to make another coaching hire then they should at least commit to Pace for as long as they commit to whichever coach he hires. I can live with three more years of Ryan Pace and see if he improves.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

Impressive. I love the physicality that team brings. I know people think it's because of Henry and an o-line, but you can get good RB's and Lineman. The system is less QB dependent. Even their recievers bully people. The style is repeatable, sustainable, and plays anywhere. I've moved into the Smith camp.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Arthur Smith is extremely intriguing. He's been with the Titans since 2011. That means he's coached under Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, and now Mike Vrabel. It's pretty unprecedented to last thru this many coaching changes. And to top it off, he's gone from defensive QC coach to offensive QC to OL coach to TE coach to offensive coordinator.

One concern I have is how his playaction heavy offense works without an absolute monster of a RB. They also throw to some speedy TEs and have receivers that are good after the catch. I also really like their screen game. And you can't deny the fact that he turned around Ryan Tannehill's career.
Yeah I've been pounding the table for someone from the Mike Shanahan/ Alex Gibbs tree WC "Wide Zone" scheme for a good bit. It's the hottest in the NFL Right now. With Mcvay, LaFleur and Shanny jr being direct understudies they're now producing their own up and coming hot candidates.

Hell, the Vikings brought in Kubiak to help Kevin Stefanski dial in that scheme and the results in the run game have been nothing short of fantastic.

Smith has been on my short list.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point, it may be more difficult to make a list of candidates we don’t want over Nagy’s shit show.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Arthur Smith is extremely intriguing. He's been with the Titans since 2011. That means he's coached under Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, and now Mike Vrabel. It's pretty unprecedented to last thru this many coaching changes. And to top it off, he's gone from defensive QC coach to offensive QC to OL coach to TE coach to offensive coordinator.

One concern I have is how his playaction heavy offense works without an absolute monster of a RB. They also throw to some speedy TEs and have receivers that are good after the catch. I also really like their screen game. And you can't deny the fact that he turned around Ryan Tannehill's career.
You see how it works in SF without a monster at RB. It's essentially the same scheme with some different creative wrinkles but everything is predicted off of the wide zone. All the motion, the play action off the stretch, willing and capable blockers at the Wr position and the list goes on. Having a Henry obviously helps things.

Last edited:

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
This article is from a Jets blog about possible HC candidates for them, but there’s a lot of good info about Arthur Smith that could be applied to the Bears as well.

“Smith establishes the run, uses play action to open up the defense, takes shots downfield, and keeps it simple for his QB. His offense is very much in the same vein as NFL wonderboys Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.”

Keep it simple for his QB! Wow, what a concept? Nagy does just the complete opposite in his “offense”. Also...

“Smith does things differently. He is not tethered to old-school philosophies and instead remains open-minded with no fear of calling anything. He’s versatile and molds his system to his players, not the other way around.

This article is from a Jets blog about possible HC candidates for them, but there’s a lot of good info about Arthur Smith that could be applied to the Bears as well.

“Smith establishes the run, uses play action to open up the defense, takes shots downfield, and keeps it simple for his QB. His offense is very much in the same vein as NFL wonderboys Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.”

Keep it simple for his QB! Wow, what a concept? Nagy does just the complete opposite in his “offense”. Also...

“Smith does things differently. He is not tethered to old-school philosophies and instead remains open-minded with no fear of calling anything. He’s versatile and molds his system to his players, not the other way around.

Versatile, explosive, exotic smashmouth football might be the best way to describe Smith’s offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Things to like

1. He built and designed the offense himself.
2. 2 full years of play calling
3. Has done it with less than elite QB
4. His offense just makes sense for his personnel