HC Candidate: Arthur Smith, Titans OC

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Smith is definitely my leading candidate right now. Brian Daboll is a close second. Like Smith, he adjusts his scheme to his personnel. I like Brandon Staley but he’s only in his first year as DC for the Rams and would like to see another year at the helm. Same goes with Joe Brady. One candidate that I’m not a fan of is Greg Roman. His time in Baltimore seems like it could be coming to an end after the season.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
He would have to at least consider the fact that if he can’t produce immediate results, the GM might be on his way out and a new GM would want to go in a different direction. I’m sure it might not be the most important thing he’s considering but definitely something he’s aware of. Most coaches get a 3 year window and Smith would know he has 1 year here if things go really sideways.

for a guy like Fangio I don’t see him caring because he’s never had the opportunity but a hot commodity like smith? Maybe he’s content waiting for a more stable situation. And it appears he’s already turned down HC interviews since last season.

idk, I don’t see the Bears situation as particularly appealing for a new coach. There is not a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball, IMO

But an offensive coach looks at the defense and thinks "if I can just get the offense to a decent level..."

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
For anybody wanting to see Aurther Smith’s system in action, go watch the opening drive against the Colts today. It’s about as good as it gets.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
If the Bears simply removed Nagy and installed Smith and his offense next year, along with drafting some O-linemen the Bears could be a playoff team next year.

Watching the Titans offense and then seeing Trey Burton make a nice TD grab for the Colts, I’m convinced the Bears offensive woes are because of Nagy and his scheme, which has caused his own players to regress.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Titans offense looks pretty good today

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
They are putting in a clinic against the Colts today.

If the Titans had a defense they’d be unstoppable. That’s why I think Arthur Smith would be an instant success in Chicago if he replaced Nagy and Pace drafted o-line with the first two or three picks.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
For anybody wanting to see Aurther Smith’s system in action, go watch the opening drive against the Colts today. It’s about as good as it gets.
By Arthur Smith's system, you mean, Matt Lafleur's system, as Smith just calls the O that Lafleur installed.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
By Arthur Smith's system, you mean, Matt Lafleur's system, as Smith just calls the O that Lafleur installed.

So if we’re using your same logic, it’d be like Matt Nagy calling Andy Reid’s offense, because after all, Reid’s offense is all Nagy knows. How’s that working out?

The play-caller matters.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

LaFleur isn't there anymore. Last he was there, his offense was 27th in scoring and 25th in yards. Smith has been top 12 in both of the last 2 years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Arthur Smith is extremely intriguing. He's been with the Titans since 2011. That means he's coached under Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, and now Mike Vrabel. It's pretty unprecedented to last thru this many coaching changes. And to top it off, he's gone from defensive QC coach to offensive QC to OL coach to TE coach to offensive coordinator.

One concern I have is how his playaction heavy offense works without an absolute monster of a RB. They also throw to some speedy TEs and have receivers that are good after the catch. I also really like their screen game. And you can't deny the fact that he turned around Ryan Tannehill's career.
Another way of saying that is: Tennessee has hired three other guys at head coach instead of this guy on their own staff.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
LaFleur isn't there anymore. Last he was there, his offense was 27th in scoring and 25th in yards. Smith has been top 12 in both of the last 2 years.

Because Dan Orlovsky was his (Lafleur's) QB lol. Arthur Smith had that O on pace to be WORSE then that, but then they benched Mariota and started Tannehill. The run game has stayed about the same level since Lafleur, but the pass game improved as soon asTannehill.

It doesnt matter that Lafleur isnt there anymore, Smith literally runs the exact O he installed lol.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
So if we’re using your same logic, it’d be like Matt Nagy calling Andy Reid’s offense, because after all, Reid’s offense is all Nagy knows. How’s that working out?

The play-caller matters.
Reid didn't install any O with the Bears. Nagy installed his own variation of that scheme.

Lafleur installed the Titans O, and Smith simply runs it now. Not a criticism, its a very good, well rounded O.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Another way of saying that is: Tennessee has hired three other guys at head coach instead of this guy on their own staff.

Smith was either an assistant O-line or tight ends coach when Vrabel got hired. Tell me the last time a team hired their o-line or tight end coach to be the HC?

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Reid didn't install any O with the Bears. Nagy installed his own variation of that scheme.

Lafleur installed the Titans O, and Smith simply runs it now. Not a criticism, its a very good, well rounded O.

So you’re saying...

1) Arthur Smith, who coached under Ken Wisenhunt & Mike Mularkey, while they were running the Titans (2 guys that run other systems) is simply calling LaFluer’s plays and not meshing all 3 systems.

2) Matt Nagy, who has never coached under anyone except Andy Reid, isn’t running the Kansas City offense, even though he publicly said he was having the Bears players watch the Chiefs film when installing his offense.

That makes sense, got it!

10veitout

Liked Posts:
So you’re saying...

1) Arthur Smith, who coached under Ken Wisenhunt & Mike Mularkey, while they were running the Titans (2 guys that run other systems) is simply calling LaFluer’s plays and not meshing all 3 systems.

2) Matt Nagy, who has never coached under anyone except Andy Reid, isn’t running the Kansas City offense, even though he publicly said he was having the Bears players watch the Chiefs film when installing his offense.

That makes sense, got it!

Arthur Smith verifiably is running the O that Lafleur installed. This isnt debatable lol. Any addons from other schemes are neglibile at best.

Nagy runs his own variation of Reid's O, which he himself installed in Chicago. Smith runs Lafleur's variation of McVay's O, which Lafleur installed.

Nagy's O is obviously a very close evolution of Reid's, but Smith's O is literally just Lafleur's offense that he himself (Lafleur) installed lol.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Arthur Smith verifiably is running the O that Lafleur installed. This isnt debatable lol. Any addons from other schemes are neglibile at best.

Nagy runs his own variation of Reid's O, which he himself installed in Chicago. Smith runs Lafleur's variation of McVay's O, which Lafleur installed.

Nagy's O is obviously a very close evolution of Reid's, but Smith's O is literally just Lafleur's offense that he himself (Lafleur) installed lol.

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense. And you said it's not a criticism of Smith, but he's clearly running LaFleur's scheme better than LeFleur because he did a better job with the QB position. And I don't know what you mean about Orlovsky, he wasn't on the 2018 Titans. Mariota started 13 games.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
I get what you're saying, and it makes sense. And you said it's not a criticism of Smith, but he's clearly running LaFleur's scheme better than LeFleur because he did a better job with the QB position. And I don't know what you mean about Orlovsky, he wasn't on the 2018 Titans. Mariota started 13 games.
I meant Gabbert. The titans 2018 pass game sucked because Mariota (who had a bum shoulder) and Blaine Gabbert. The running game was just as good as it is now, which is impressive considering they had no QB.

If you want to credit Smith for Tannehill saving them from an even worse passing game then in 2018, go right ahead, I'm pretty sure Lafleur would have fared even better with Tannehill, considering he (Lafleur) has a much, much better resume as far as QB work goes.

Yes, im not criticizing Smith at all. Thats a great, well rounded O.