He did well against scrubs....

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
heh heh...... I'm going to just back off that one slowly and just say I was tired when I made this post.... I meant some one else.... but wrote Garappolo........ my bad on that one.

Wait... You not only admit you said something wrong, but also apologized???

You know this is CCS right?
1005363.jpg

Bones40

Liked Posts:
I know I'm in the definite minority here... not being a 'Ra Ra for Trubisky' type.

I've been around these boards for many pre-season games... and in many of those games we've seen players who played very well vs. 3rd stringers and other players who won't be collecting paychecks on any given Sunday. And we're always reminded of the fact that they performed well vs. inferior talent... not the starters. The real test never comes until they can face the regular season players.

What made Trubisky's first outing any different than recent QBs like Garoppolo and Clausen, seeing that their performances in their first games were not to dis-similar?

Who he was playing against literally has nothing to do with how impressive his release looks, how good he was with his feet in the pocket and how easily and naturally he avoided pressure while staying in the pocket with his eyes downfield, how natural he looked rolling outside the pocket, how amazingly accurate he was with 28 passes and many, many other things. I don't think people are judging him based on his production or his box score (which is impressive but rather meaningless in second half of preseason games as you point out), it's all these other things I've mentioned that has people excited.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I think at this point most of the points have been brought up but my thoughts go like this...

He played against 2nd/3rd team defenses but also played with 2nd/3rd team offenses. There are certain things he showed that are impressive, regardless of who is on the field on either side.His accuracy, mobility, arm strength, composure and accuracy on the move are rare, especially when combined in one package. He went through progressions, he dealt with pressure, he used his athleticism when needed. He showed a lot of tools and gave fans a reason to be excited.

I watched his first college start (Georgia fan) and had my doubts when his name was brought up as an early round pick (mainly because I didn't know who he was and thought he was taking advantage of a good WR group) but every time I watched him he looked good. It seems every time this kid is given a chance he shines. There is absolutely no reason to be anything but excited at this point as Bears fans haven't had a QB like this, at his age, to cheer for in my life time and probably ever. Enjoy the moment.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't necessarily care that he was "beating scrubs." What I do care about and am excited about was his accuracy and his ability to escape the pocket and keep his eyes downfield and accuracy on the move. I don't care if it was 11 guys vs 0 guys, those throws were still remarkable and that's what you look for. Also, he was putting throws where only Bear players had the ability to make the catch, not just heaving jump balls.

Well said @BearDown104 & too add to that Trubisky had to execute with the backups on offense, so it's not like he had an advantage. Denver had Paxon Lynch in a 2nd year player who was a 1st rnd pick & he couldn't do to the Bears D what Mich was doing to Denver's D.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
fwiw....at least he didnt look like shit against scrubs..

Exactly. I think a good comparison for him at this point is to look at him vs Paxton Lynch. Obviously Lynch was picked in the late twenties (28 I think) but started a lot more game in College albeit at a lower level of competition (I know nothing about college football so correct me if I'm wrong here). He's probably less talented but has had a whole season with the Broncos and has 50 NFL throws under his belt. So far so completely different lol!

But it was impressive to me from a mental make up standpoint just how much more composed Trubisky was than Lynch. Lynch was rushing his throws, hitting receivers early on slant routes instead of throwing them open for YAC. Trubisky allowed the plays to develop and looked to have as much arm strength and athleticism if not more. He was also significantly more accurate.

I know these guys are different players, but it looks like Trubisky has some of the qualities that can't be taught even if you have the Broncos working on you for an entire year. So that's something.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone knows Trubs has had Dowell Loggains and Dave Ragone working with him every day.

They have already managed to get rid of most of his "bad" habits

and Instill their sense of timing and urgency while not sacrificing accuracy.

Even his on field "Generalship" comes from the image of Dowell "Bonapart" Loggains taking control of the O and passing it on to Tru

It's an absolute miracle on how well and how much they have done with the 2nd yr QB ( One in college, and one training camp in an NFL 0 )

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even making a PS would be great but 'scrubs' get scrubbed off the roster and don't get into the NFL regular season.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Even making a PS would be great but 'scrubs' get scrubbed off the roster and don't get into the NFL regular season.

Unless you're a scrub QB, then you get to be the Hero in Chicago until you're named the starter, unless you were named starter because of injury.

Username

Liked Posts:
What I saw:
Mitch moved the offense effectively and efficiently against scrubs.
He wasn't afraid to run for first downs.
He checked down effectively
He was accurate with this throws.

What I'm waiting to see:
I want to see Mitch take snaps from under center.
I want to see him escape pressure after taking a snap at the line.
I want to see him read a D.
I want to see him make adjustments to protection at the line.
I want to see him change the play effectively.
I want to see how he handles getting sacked hard.
and I want to see his deep ball accuracy.
ABOVE all, I want to see him play against a good D that has enough tape to game plan for him.

After seeing that, then I'll decide if I should crown his ass, or demand Pace's ass be kicked out of town.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He did all those things but he does need to do a lot more of it against a D that is scheming to know what's up. AZ will pressure us with all their units so this will be a better test for the backups.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
A reminder for the "under center" crowd, the NFL average for shotgun snaps was 65-percent shotgun, 35-percent under center.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
heh heh...... I'm going to just back off that one slowly and just say I was tired when I made this post.... I meant some one else.... but wrote Garappolo........ my bad on that one.

never ever back peddle these mfs will eat you alive