Help for Oline??

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Pace has used the draft for OL in the past (Whitehair and Daniels), I think we see it again this year.

Interior OL is a given, and I have no problem at all if he grabs an OT with our 2nd selection, who can work as a swing tackle and be ready to take over for Massie or Leno next season when you can cut them.

But with where we sit in the draft, we have to be opportunistic and cannot force something. You especially don't want to force a 2nd round tackle.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
DaBears I agree.

I think the weak TE draft and Burton's injury impacted this decision as well. We only had money to fill 2 positions, and they didn't see a good chance at a starting TE where we sat in this draft.

There is a good amount of developmental and/or 1 dimensional TE prospects in this draft, so no doubt we grab a TE mid to late, but I just don't they felt comfortable with that person as a starter.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Can not agree more... counting on Coaching and a return to 2018 performance is huge risk.

I'm not sure what our cap situation is, but it can not be good. So we are hanging our hat on either coaching or the draft improving our o-line.

The only other path is that there are ALWAYS cap casualties that become available, and Pace has taken advantage of them in the past, but that too is a big risk.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
2017 had 4 TE prospects graded a 6.4 or higher
2018 had 2,
2019 had 3.

This draft the highest rated TE prospect is Kmet at 6.3.

This may be the first draft in awhile with no TE's taken in the first round.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Maybe Castillo gave Pace some good insight on just how deep he thinks the o-line position will be in the draft and being the main guy to run the o-line through some of the drills at the combine. Still taking a risk but i can see some good ones still sitting there at #43 and #50.

There's still plenty of starting level Guards in free agency so maybe he's got some offers out there for some guys and is waiting on them to do an ARob re-signing or restructuring a vet.

you sure about that? the only name that comes to mind is leary who was cut by the broncos.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really dislike the lack of attention on the oline. I don’t really have a good feeling that things will magically get better.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
seems like Pace is using free agency to shore up our defense and the draft will be used to pick up offense.
we may be waiting to extend Arob so we can pick up one more piece but for the most past this is it, we have to grow from within and that the reality when you have mack on the roster

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the first time in the draft Pace is going to telegraph that he needs to draft a particular position. In this case Bears really need to draft a guard and a WR. Either there are several players they like and they aren't worried about it or Pace may cut a few more players to get someone.

They have to have a guard and they need a speed WR.

One Team

Liked Posts:
I'll stick my neck out...Alex Bars is going to take the RG spot and be a stud.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There is one G left in FA who I think is a definite starter, Mike Schofield from LAC, who has been really solid in everything I've seen of him. Probably Person would also be a starter on lots of teams. I don't know about scheme fit, though, because I'm not familiar enough with Castillo to know.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Hows the draft look for tackles?
Hope you don't mind if I answer - imo very good, probably 2nd best position group behind WR. Four sure-fire first rounders, probably all top 20 picks, and then about 4-5 second rounders as well.

I personally think that Massie was a bigger liability than Leno last year, and at the Bears slot there could be a couple guys who could challenge him. Lucas Niang would be my favorite there. There will probably also be a couple higher ceiling prospects that are more risky. Maybe Austin Jackson, Josh Jones, Matt Peart, who could be LTs but probably aren't ready yet.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Others for T or G.

C.Glenn--T
J.Peters--T but have heard he wouldn't mind switching to G to finish out his career.
M.Person--G
G.Ifedi--T
D.Penn--T
R.Groy--G
R.Kalil--C/G

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There will be some unexpected cuts of starting OG as the offseason progresses. Think how Sitton got picked up a few years ago.

after the draft.....there is a decent amount of guards in the draft, we may see some cuts then. Pace has to play the long game and hope someone is available with what money the Bears have remaining.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I’m hopeful the Bears target Cordy Glenn in free agency. He has positional flexibility to play LT, which is a HUGE plus since Charles Leno has been mediocre. He’s also a 340 lb MAULER. Since he was recently cut, there would be no negative compensatory draft pick impact.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
after the draft.....there is a decent amount of guards in the draft, we may see some cuts then. Pace has to play the long game and hope someone is available with what money the Bears have remaining.

Yep, people always want things to be done in the first week but this takes months.

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hows the draft look for tackles?
looks decent...more OG than T though.
the more promising ones will fly before pick 43 anyway...
If we can get Ruiz, Nyang , Simpson or Cushenberry for instance (with our picks, forget about Becton for instance}
But...with Pace you never know. He might trade up and draft Kmet or Mims...