Help Me Understand What People Mean When They Say the Bears don't have the assets for Watson

Southside

Liked Posts:
Thanks in advance, but I've seen/read numerous fans on numerous social media platforms make the claim that the Bears are seeking guys like Carr, Wentz, etc because they dont have the assets for Watson yet the Bears are willing to trade first rounders for Carr/Wentz at the same time which don't make sense.

This doesn't make any sense, because the Houston Texans literally have NO I repeat NO 1st or 2nd round picks this year since they traded their 1st and 2nd rounders to the Dolphins. Houston isn't even picking until the 3rd round. The Bears DO have BOTH their 1st and 2nd round picks this year so the Bears have the two picks that Houston doesn't have, that alone should get your foot in the door. A 20th pick in the first round is better than the 0 picks that Houston has now, our pick in the 2nd is better than the 0 picks they have right now. We could literally replenish the Texans for the rounds that they gave up to Miami. True you will need to add more in the deal, but if you can make a trade with Philly/Vegas, why can't you make a trade with a Houston team that doesn't even have a 1st and 2nd pick?

If the argument is that the defense will get weaker by trading for Watson, then Watson took a 2019 Texans team to the playoffs that had one of the worst defenses out of all the playoffs team and their defense was worse in 2019 than any recent Bears defense. Carr and Wentz have no playoff wins, even worse Derek Carr literally has never started a playoff game and Wentz got knocked out in the 1st quarter in his only playoff start.

The Bears need to pursue a QB with the goal of first being able to compete with the Packers. The difference between being 8-8 and 10-6 the past few years have been our losses to Green Bay? You think Wentz and Carr can beat Rodgers consistently? Carson Wentz just had a season that was WORSE than his rookie year. Carson Wentz has never won a playoff game. Carson Wentz has 58 career fumbles. Derek Carr is 2-11 in games where the temperate is 50 degrees or less, Carr has no playoff wins and he was injured the year only year that Oakland went to the playoffs. How can you trust him to go beat Rodgers at Lambeau?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If Miami or NYJ wants him, they have far more to offer. The #2 or #3 picks this year are worth all three first rounders the Bears could offer.

Outside of that most teams that would trade for him probably don't have a ton more to offer than the Bears.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Miami or NYJ wants him, they have far more to offer. The #2 or #3 picks this year are worth all three first rounders the Bears could offer.

Outside of that most teams that would trade for him probably don't have a ton more to offer than the Bears.
Agreed. The Miami and Jets packages are a whole lot better but after that the Bears would be right in it. Lets be honest tho its gonna be about where he wants to go.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Our picks suck.
Not necessarily. While our picks are bad right now hopefully the Texans believe our future picks will be bleak

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed. The Miami and Jets packages are a whole lot better but after that the Bears would be right in it. Lets be honest tho its gonna be about where he wants to go.
Any why would the Texans even trade him to the AFC?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any why would the Texans even trade him to the AFC?
I would honestly want a top 5 pick this year where there seems to be a decent QB class. Even tho I would counter argue myself by saying none of the top 5 QBs in 2020 were drafted top 5.

Anyway that really just leaves the Falcons as the lone QB needy NFC team in the top 5. They would have to be able to get rid of Matt Ryan and that contract. I do think they are a darkhorse to land him though. Afterall it is his home town.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s going to be super hard to trade for watson when they announce a wentz trade monday
Him going to the Colts will just help the Bears chances. ;)

Liked Posts:
Kind of an odd question since this topic has been beaten to death.

Nobody here is arguing that Watson isn’t the best option, and most are ok with throwing the farm for him.

As many have stated, teams holding high picks have way more to offer, assuming Watson wants to go there.....

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
We’ve got assets and I believe we have enough to make a deal

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well...for one we don't have a desirable QB to trade. The Rams won the Stafford raffle because they had invested in Goff. I don't know if anyone recalls but one of my team building football philosophies is..."Why NOT have the most valuable roster position in football be 4 deep?"

Thats the simplest math in the world. Your roster is more valuable if you have 4 positions and a PS or two devoted to the most valuable position.

And here is an off-season that absolutely proves my point. Because for once in a blue moon 3 stud QB's are available, and we don't have one to trade them back which is most of these teams first priority, is to move a malcontent but continue to compete.

If we had two mid round picks that had barely seen the light of day but performed well in pre-season...it would be at least something to dangle.

We should be a QB farm and be able to give back 2! Imo.

Its a move that will almost always pay off when your team is close...and you need that extra push of a player or two...well if you stashed obscene value at QB then you can make some last minute moves when you near a super bowl window.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Thanks in advance, but I've seen/read numerous fans on numerous social media platforms make the claim that the Bears are seeking guys like Carr, Wentz, etc because they dont have the assets for Watson yet the Bears are willing to trade first rounders for Carr/Wentz at the same time which don't make sense.

This doesn't make any sense, because the Houston Texans literally have NO I repeat NO 1st or 2nd round picks this year since they traded their 1st and 2nd rounders to the Dolphins. Houston isn't even picking until the 3rd round. The Bears DO have BOTH their 1st and 2nd round picks this year so the Bears have the two picks that Houston doesn't have, that alone should get your foot in the door. A 20th pick in the first round is better than the 0 picks that Houston has now, our pick in the 2nd is better than the 0 picks they have right now. We could literally replenish the Texans for the rounds that they gave up to Miami. True you will need to add more in the deal, but if you can make a trade with Philly/Vegas, why can't you make a trade with a Houston team that doesn't even have a 1st and 2nd pick?

If the argument is that the defense will get weaker by trading for Watson, then Watson took a 2019 Texans team to the playoffs that had one of the worst defenses out of all the playoffs team and their defense was worse in 2019 than any recent Bears defense. Carr and Wentz have no playoff wins, even worse Derek Carr literally has never started a playoff game and Wentz got knocked out in the 1st quarter in his only playoff start.

The Bears need to pursue a QB with the goal of first being able to compete with the Packers. The difference between being 8-8 and 10-6 the past few years have been our losses to Green Bay? You think Wentz and Carr can beat Rodgers consistently? Carson Wentz just had a season that was WORSE than his rookie year. Carson Wentz has never won a playoff game. Carson Wentz has 58 career fumbles. Derek Carr is 2-11 in games where the temperate is 50 degrees or less, Carr has no playoff wins and he was injured the year only year that Oakland went to the playoffs. How can you trust him to go beat Rodgers at Lambeau?
The Bears also lost once to the Lions and once to the Vikings this year. That's another difference between 8-8 and 10-6.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, imo, Wentz > Goff

I'm not so sure, but unlike with Stafford, I have no dog in this fight. Can't say I have watched enough of either to have a really good opinion. I think Goff's health, and attitude turns the scales in Goff's favor. The two are nearly statistically the same.

But if I am Brad Holmes, and these rumors of Wentz getting two firsts plus in a trade, I am on the phone yesterday throwing Goff into that mix. Fuck, if that is true, Lions should offer Goff for Bears 2022 1st and JJ (Bears get to keep there 2021 1st). Or, Bears get Goff, Lions get 2021 1st, Trevathon (cap dump) + Foles (cap dump) and a 2022 third. And the Bears are still way better off then trading two firsts for Wentz.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can someone enlighten me. I honestly haven't been following the whole Watson saga that close lately. Last I heard, sources confirmed that Watson had requested a trade. What does that mean exactly. Do we have a quote by Watson himself to ownership requesting a trade. Is there a signed request by Watson to ownership requesting a trade? Did ownership confirm Watson has requested? I was actually just wondering if there is anything more than just sources confirming it. The only thing I know for sure is that the new GM is on record as saying he has no interest in trading Watson.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm not so sure, but unlike with Stafford, I have no dog in this fight. Can't say I have watched enough of either to have a really good opinion. I think Goff's health, and attitude turns the scales in Goff's favor. The two are nearly statistically the same.

But if I am Brad Holmes, and these rumors of Wentz getting two firsts plus in a trade, I am on the phone yesterday throwing Goff into that mix. Fuck, if that is true, Lions should offer Goff for Bears 2022 1st and JJ (Bears get to keep there 2021 1st). Or, Bears get Goff, Lions get 2021 1st, Trevathon (cap dump) + Foles (cap dump) and a 2022 third. And the Bears are still way better off then trading two firsts for Wentz.
Can I be honest with you?

I just, really don't give a shit what you think.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

You keep talking about the 2020 season, yet failed to mention Watson was 4-12 a single time. With a bad D and no weapons on offense....which if you give away the farm, that is what the Bears will be in 2021.

Watson proved he cant win shit unless he has weapons around him. And you're asking why the smart fans saying bringing Watson here to not have weapons around him is a bad idea?

Maybe take a time out and think about it for a minute.